Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Crickets chirping

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The crickets are chirping all over MLB. Delmon Young (on a minor league deal) was the biggest news yesterday, so no teams are making big moves right now. I wonder how long the price and years stay up for Morales and Drew. No one is biting at the prices those two are putting out there. To me, everyone is looking for a bargain with the guys who are rated as the top free agents. For some reason, I can't find the writeup on Drew that noted the projections for him were all way down. I remain hopeful that Ryan will do what he does best--acquire good talent from other teams--in trading a couple of out of options hurlers.

2. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

North Dakota Twins Fan (01-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 266 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    The crickets are chirping all over MLB. Delmon Young (on a minor league deal) was the biggest news yesterday, so no teams are making big moves right now. I wonder how long the price and years stay up for Morales and Drew. No one is biting at the prices those two are putting out there. To me, everyone is looking for a bargain with the guys who are rated as the top free agents. For some reason, I can't find the writeup on Drew that noted the projections for him were all way down. I remain hopeful that Ryan will do what he does best--acquire good talent from other teams--in trading a couple of out of options hurlers.
    Here are the twins fantasy rankings. Mauer is still rated at catcher (7th) and Dozier is 13th. Willingham is our top rated OF at 52nd. Plouffe is 29 at 3b. Regarding the Drew/Florimon debate, they didn't even rate Florimon and they rated 33 SS. They called him a "negative fantasy player". Drew's carrer OPS is 140 points higher. Given our low payroll and that we will not find a better opportunity for upgrade, this is a no-brainer

http://m.startribune.com/sports/?id=240032491&c=y

To the crowd who says "dont spend money, develop the young players". Who you gonna develop at SS? Santana is old. If he was gonna turn into something, he'd have shown signs by now. Polanco is two years away. Drew makes so much sense.

5. This user likes Marta Shearing's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

North Dakota Twins Fan (01-15-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Here are the twins fantasy rankings. Mauer is still rated at catcher (7th) and Dozier is 13th. Willingham is our top rated OF at 52nd. Plouffe is 29 at 3b. Regarding the Drew/Florimon debate, they didn't even rate Florimon and they rated 33 SS. They called him a "negative fantasy player". Drew's carrer OPS is 140 points higher. Given our low payroll and that we will not find a better opportunity for upgrade, this is a no-brainer

http://m.startribune.com/sports/?id=240032491&c=y
    To be fair, fantasy stats give no weight to the one skill that Florimon excels at in baseball.

But overall, he's still a pretty bad MLB player.

7. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (01-14-2014), thetank (01-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    This link shows players who will be free agents next year.

There are some SSs there and some really good SPs.
    There are SSs in that they exist, but next year's FA class doesn't look all that good at that position. Cabrera and Hardy are the only ones as good as Drew, I'd say.

And pitching-wise, they are some really good ones, but I doubt all of them will reach FA, and as much as TR has restored some of my faith this offseason, no way do I see him outbidding everyone for an ace on the FA market: Kershaw, Lester, Scherzer, Shields.

The Twins are looking at a likely non-competitive season in 2014 again, and it's a bit of a luxury because we don't "need" to fill every spot this offseason. But I'd rather use that as leverage than an excuse to wait. I'd make Drew a very competitive offer, as well as the remaining FA starters. Maybe you score one, boost the 2014 club a bit, and Minnesota starts to look like an even better destination for future FA; if not, no problem, try again next year.

9. These 2 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (01-15-2014), PseudoSABR (01-14-2014)

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    As has been pointed out, if any of the 5 SS are available, they may cost a 1st Round Pick given that the Twins are likely to improve incrementally. I'm not sure if that is worth waiting for a chance to get Yunel Escobar or not (seems like the best fit for the Twins)- I would bet that the Rays will exercise their 2015 option on him. The rest are either unaffordable (Ramirez), poor with the glove (Lowrie), have an option pending (Nakajima), overrated (Cabrera) or long in the tooth (many others).

How about the need to move out of the bottom quintile on offense?
    It'll depend on how Cruz, Morales, and Drew come out, but I think we'll see qualifying offers play out different next year for more players of that caliber (and many of the SS available next year). Saying 'they'll all get qualifying offers anyways and the Twins won't have a protected 1st rd pick next year so just get Drew now' is awfully subjective to a lot of ifs. I could probably prove I'm an astronaut with fewer ifs. Based on how much more the Twins can spend according to your very own numbers, I'm not sure it's fair to say any of them will be unaffordable either.

I'll be happy if the Twins make some more moves to upgrade the team via trade or FA, but to answer the original question in the thread... I don't feel some big onus for them to do it right now and they've already exceeded my expectations.

11. This user likes jay's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

brvama (01-14-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    So after pocketing over 100 million in profits over the last 3 years, you believe it is ok for ownership and the front office to once again not spend there 50-54% which this year would put the teams payroll at around 127.5 million? After 3 straight 95+losses seasons ,the team should take a wait and see attitude? As for signing Drew, I would much rather see Terry W Ryan sign Diaz and have a young guy grow up with the team , then have an often hurt average defender who costs us the 45th pick...Just saying
    Umm, I think it's ok for a business to earn as much profit as they want. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. Where does this sense of entitlement come from?

Moderators, going to delete this post as well?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Umm, I think it's ok for a business to earn as much profit as they want. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. Where does this sense of entitlement come from?

How much of a Hennepin County Taxpayer subsidy did this particular business receive??

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    How much of a Hennepin County Taxpayer subsidy did this particular business receive??
    How much did this business pay in state income taxes for every bloated salary that played a game for or against it's team? How much did this business increase the revenue of the businesses miles around it? How much pure enjoyment did this business bring to millions of fans?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    It'll depend on how Cruz, Morales, and Drew come out, but I think we'll see qualifying offers play out different next year for more players of that caliber (and many of the SS available next year). Saying 'they'll all get qualifying offers anyways and the Twins won't have a protected 1st rd pick next year so just get Drew now' is awfully subjective to a lot of ifs. I could probably prove I'm an astronaut with fewer ifs. Based on how much more the Twins can spend according to your very own numbers, I'm not sure it's fair to say any of them will be unaffordable either.

I'll be happy if the Twins make some more moves to upgrade the team via trade or FA, but to answer the original question in the thread... I don't feel some big onus for them to do it right now and they've already exceeded my expectations.
    Hanley Ramirez won't be unaffordable? And I never said they would all get qualifying offers. And it's imperative that all of the "ifs" questions come into play here in early 2014. We know what the cost parameters are for an available SS at a significant upgrade at the position.......and that's the point, you limit having to ask and forecast the "ifs" of the future..... the guy available today led the AL in SS OPS, he's the one near-top-tier SS available now. How those costs might play out a year from now are far more muddled, but if Stephen Drew was protected with a QO this year, it only follows logically that all of the other high-end SS (who don't extend with their present clubs) will be, as well.....and does anyone see the Twins going after the likes of Ramirez, who should command up to $30M/yr? Or even, the next level down SSs sure to asking for $15M/yr? I sure don't see TR opening up Pohlad's checkbook, he isn't going to budge on this one, or any other outside FA player as long as he's the GM until his hand is forced, ala Willingham in 2012, and the Nolasco/Hughes signings this year.

We differ greatly on the "big onuses". As it stands right now, this team is going to repeat in the bottom quintile on offense, which, nothwithstanding the improvement in the rotation, still means another year of potentially, and very likely, reaching 90+ losses again. It would be acceptable if they didn't have the resources available and the opportunities available in the FA market, but they do.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-14-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Drew>Florimon. Signing him would make the team better. If TR were operating at the edge of his budget, the issue of whether the extra cost for Drew was worth it would be good to debate. But TR hasn't approached the maximum budget, at least according to the stated 50-52% of revenue mantra. So any move that will improve the teams chances, he should do. Sign Garza--who cares if there is a glut of out of option fringy guys? Garza's innings give the Twins better odds at winning games than Diamond's or Deduno's (or Correia's).

TR seems to do pretty well maximizing the Twins' minor league system, trying to accumulate the maximimum number of prospects with upside as possible, using whatever means possible. He doesn't seem to be using the same approach with the big-league club, leaving dollars and wins on the table.
    Last edited by AM.; 01-14-2014 at 07:15 PM.

17. These 2 users like AM.'s post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-15-2014), mike wants wins (01-15-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Who cares? The money is there. They can spend it, or they can put it in their pockets. Do something. Throw us some crumbs. Give the fans something to get excited about. They owe us that for filling that ballpark for four years. I dont care if they overpay. I dont care if it only nets one more win. The money is there. They are under the 50-52%. Sign Drew. He's not a savior, but he's an upgrade.
    I waffle on Drew personally and am on the "don't care either way" bandwagon for this pickup... But the question you've been asked a few times, and it bares repeating, is who else should they sign? You keep saying throw money at guys? At this point who? They've gotten pitching help that they desperately needed. A SS would definitely help, but only Drew fits the bill of one that can help. Beyond that who? They have prospects in the high minors at any "open" position.

I think most of us are for spending money where it makes sense, but at the end of the day, we are talking about millions of dollars. Spending it for the sake of spending it is a good way to prolong our misery.

19. These 2 users like diehardtwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

brvama (01-15-2014), shs_59 (01-15-2014)

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    As it stands right now, this team is going to repeat in the bottom quintile on offense, which, nothwithstanding the improvement in the rotation, still means another year of potentially, and very likely, reaching 90+ losses again.
    That's certainly possible, but definitely not as written in stone as you're making it out to be. As I'm sure you know (and may even be referencing), FG introduced a new feature that provides depth charts and projections for 2014 using Steamer. The Twins are projected to pick up 17.1 WAR from their non-pitchers which, as you mentioned (cited?), would be bottom quintile.

Go through it position by position though and tell me there isn't significantly more upside than downside:
    C - 3.0 WAR, feels about right
    1B - Mauer projected for only 3 WAR with a lower wOBA than we've seen from him in a longgg time and a lot of negative defensive value. Look at Oliver... 2.3 WAR higher based on basically just defensive value. Mauer could be +2 WAR above the Steamer projection very easily, +3 with a good year.
    2B - Dozier projected for just 1.3 WAR after putting up 2.8 last year, including his dismal start. Again, Oliver disagrees significantly here pegging him to match last year (still including that start). He can easily be +1.5 here by only matching all of last year, as high as +2.5 if he maintains his June-Sept pace from this year when we saw his mechanics and plate discipline change.
    SS - Still no bat value, but Florimon brings the D. Steamer has him regressing there while Oliver doesn't. Very easy to be +.5 here, +1 with even the slightest offensive improvement at all.
    3B - Relatively upbeat on Plouffe, but keep Sano in mind here and the possibility of what he could bring relatively early on.
    LF - If Hammer is healthy, these projections have to be his floor. Their models can't tell that he played injured last year. They see an aging slugger who declined badly last year. Wouldn't be tough to be +1 here, +1.5 if he rebounds a bit more than I think he will.
    CF - Presley projects decently from what we've seen. Can't ignore chance of Hicks breaking out or even Buxton coming up later in the year.
    RF - Arcia also projects out decently, but plenty of room for him to blossom beyond those numbers as well.
    DH - Kubel gets zero love here. Twins can easily pick up .5 here, +1 if Kubel shows up.

So, extremely easy to see the Twins closer to 22 WAR on offense with upside for even as much as 26-27. 22 would put them right at league average. I don't think we're as bad off as you're making it sound. If 17 and bottom quintile is the over/under, I'm betting heavy on the over.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    RE: Crickets chirping

And I expected them to (allllll off-season long)

I didn't figure we'd sign Nolasco and Hughes both. One of them ? Sure.

I was actually one of the fans, in the mindset that, I was rather HOPING they'd spend less than 78-82 Million for the upcoming season's roster/ total payroll. In that for the 2015 season they'd make some big FA splashes next off-season. Like a SS & outfielder or 3B and Catcher or something; Plus maybe a front-line starter. (Homer Bailey? B. Morrow?)

(granted it would of been sweet to net Salty this yr at 3 yr for $ 24/27 Million , he got $21.)

So what the Twins have done, to this point, including the Doumit for Gilmartin swap and bringing in Kubel , Bartlett , Kurt Suzuki and maaaaybe 1 of M. Guerrier, Johan Santana or Yuk-Sin Moon
    Blows by far, my widest range of expectation for the 2014 season.

I think they are by far and away 'treating the fans well' for supporting the team the last 3 seasons.

We must remember, 2015 / 2016 are the years to realisticly compete NOT 2014.
    Last edited by shs_59; 01-15-2014 at 04:44 AM.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    I think it is all setting up very nicely to see who is not or never will be ready when the good kids are and then there will be much better and brighter FA acquisitions next Winter. Hopefully the stop-gap players (we know who they are) will be history come opening day in 2015.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post

Entitlement? The Minnesota Twins belong to the fans.....Pohlads only hold the paper on them and pocket the profits. They made promises when they asked for 350 million to build there new stadium. Now all im asking is for them to keep there word.

I have supported this team since i was old enough to understand the game.I have cheered for them, cried for them,( see Harmon as a Royal, or Rod as an Angel) been broken hearted and even bled for them ( when i was 7, Rod stole home and I jumped up and down on the sofa and my dad took the razor strap to me)Collected cards,posters balls and bats.
    I attended games when there were only 6,000 people in attendence and 5,000 were kids shipped in from school. Now most fans have storys ,memorys, So to me the Twins belong to us..... The Fans without our money ,there wouldnt be any team

So telling me to quit supporting them because ownership wants to make bigger profits ...well If i finished that statment im sure to get banned.

Lets hope we can all agree we want OUR Minnesota Twins to be back on top , instead of where they are now, even if we disagree about how to get there

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Not one person has "spend money just to spend money". Not one. Those asking for more money to be spent are asking them to spend money, that they have, on good players. I was happy wtih the fact they did not dumpster dive for pitching. I am disappointed they have done nothing to help the OF defense or the hitting. I am also disappointed that they thumped their chest about how much money they spent, and really, the payroll is barely up while they are getting $25MM more in money. Instead of bragging about signing guys, they should really just stop talking about payroll if they aren't asked, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    So, extremely easy to see the Twins closer to 22 WAR on offense with upside for even as much as 26-27. 22 would put them right at league average. I don't think we're as bad off as you're making it sound. If 17 and bottom quintile is the over/under, I'm betting heavy on the over.
    Except that you put an almost entirely positive spin on your projections. How often does everything go right?

The number of "ifs" in your projection are precisely the problem. When you have that many question marks, it's fairly likely that a decent percentage of them will not be answered with a surprise positive outcome.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Not one person has "spend money just to spend money". Not one. Those asking for more money to be spent are asking them to spend money, that they have, on good players.
    Except that there's really not a lot of good players. That's the point others are making.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 266 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    If the Twins can't make a trade for JJ Hardy, they could offer him a contract next off season (if he chooses to become a free agent).
    If we wanted to trade for Hardy, we should track Hoey down and sign him, then flip him for Hardy.

Done and done.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast