Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Do the Twins View Swarzak as a Starter?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    Its possible that Swarzak is just figuring things out - it takes some guys a while. He really pitched well last year and I think it is wise of the Twins to see what he can do as a starter. We may have a Jeff Samardja on our hands as that was his path and is now a valuable starter. Swarzak certainly needs to pitch in a more important role - either starting or set-up

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 338 Times in 215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    You don't want your lefty who was your best relief pitcher in high leverage situations in 2013, be your long man, you want him to be the set up lefty. I just don't get all the non-appreciation that Duensing gets sometimes (and I am not talking about Jeremy here, just a general comment)
    I agree that Duensing is underappreciated here, but I understand why. He pitched two different seasons last year. The first saw numbers like this: 4.67 ERA, 1.67 WHIP and a 1.88 SO/BB, while the second half saw numbers like this : 3.08 ERA, 1.21 WHIP and 4.33 SO/BB.

Most fans had turned off their TV's or at least tuned out the on field product long before he became a quality reliever.

3. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (01-13-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Good Ship Duensing, like the Good Manship have both sailed. Duensing can be effective out of the pen, but I don't see anyway he becomes anything more than an afterthought, even for a spot start.

5. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (01-13-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've thought for awhile Swarzak earned another chance to start. Deduno if healthy deserves to start the year in the rotation. With how well he pitched until his shoulder flared up it would be silly to just discount him completely.

This means moving Corriea is a real possibility come ST, also they have little to no belief in Diamond & Worley.

Duesning does get a little more heat than he deserves, he is pretty good against lefties and can get out the occasional righty. However at 2mill a year his value is diminished. Diamond is not a good candidate to replace him but Theilbar was pretty good last year & Albers can easily be a the 2nd loogy/long relief pitcher.
    Last edited by Trevor0333; 01-14-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't given up on signing Garza & moving Corriea. My dream off season season scenario still is. Signing Garza & Drew while trading Corriea, Burton, May, &or both Diamond/Worley for Dominic Brown & Papelbon's contract.

1) Garza 2) Nolasco 3) Hughes 4) Deduno 5) Gibson/Meyer

CL) Perkins SU) Papelbon RHP) Fien, Swarzak, Tonkin LHP) Thielbar, Albers

1) Dozier 2) Drew 3) Mauer 4) Willingham/Kubel 5) Brown 6) Arcia 7) Plouffe/Sano 8) Pinto 9) Presley/Hicks

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    I'd say Trevor0333's roster would have an excellent shot at another 90+ loss season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Deduno doesn't throw enough early strikes to be a good reliever. He's either a starter here, or a starter somewhere else.
    Does it really matter with a long man coming in to eat some innings in a game thats already out of hand?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12