Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Fantasy Camp - Jan 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Fantasy Camp - Jan 2014

Great article! This is on my bucket list (well, list of things to do before I can no longer run -- but hats off to the 81 year old gentleman who is in much better shape than I am).
    I've always wondered how the interactions -- for lack of a better word -- are between the players and the Twins alums? In other words, were they all pretty cool, or were there some in it for the free room and whatever $ is in it for them? Not asking you to name names, by the way.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 95 Times in 57 Posts
    Good article. But the championship games weren't at Hammond. I really wanted to watch, but was informed they were at City of Palms, and no one could get in. Also couldn't get in to watch during the week. I usually watch this camp and get a kick out of it, as others do also, so to bad we were shut out.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This year was different because of the Hammond Stadium renovations -- the camp was at Player Development Complex (old Red Sox complex) and big stadium games were at City of Palms -- these changes were made mid week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Alums range from good to great -- they are all good at interacting with the campers - time spent in the clubhouse/lunches/dinners are very quality. Many of them make themselves very approachable and willing to answer many different types of questions -- the cool part is many of them share the same interests as many of us -- talking with them about their fantasy football teams, etc. This group of "legends" are very unique!

Liked 298 Times in 167 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article. Thanks for posting this.

It looks like there is a blue division and a red one. Is one division for the better players?

What is the range of skill/health levels?

Would be a dream of an experience. To talk to Viola about game 7, 1987. To ask Hatcher about his world series HR in 1988. Maybe someday it'll happen for me!

Viola is now AAA pitching coach for the Mets correct?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Blue and Red divisions are for playoffs! :)

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Great article. Thanks for posting this.

It looks like there is a blue division and a red one. Is one division for the better players?

What is the range of skill/health levels?
    The camp takes the top 4 seeds and they do a 2 game playoff (Blue division) and then the next four seeds get to play in a 2 game playoff (Red division) -- seeds are determined by pool play during the week.
    Youngest campers are around 25 -- oldest camper is 81 and average is upper 50's -- the skill level is all over the place, some very good ballplayers and many of the participants just LOVE baseball -- all skill levels have a great time!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Viola

Quote Originally Posted by orangevening View Post
    I believe he is still the A pitching coach for the Savannah Sand Gnats (last year that was his job) -- but yes, he is a coach in the Mets organization -- didn't get to ask him if he moved up to AAA but that is surely possible.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Viola AAA (Vegas)

Quote Originally Posted by orangevening View Post
    Confirmed from another camper -- Viola is going to Las Vegas to coach the AAA team there!

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This sounds like a dream vacation. Pure awesomeness.

Good article. Sounds like a great experience. What kind of physical shape do you need to be in to attend?

anybody here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardJohnson View Post
    Good article. Sounds like a great experience. What kind of physical shape do you need to be in to attend?
    While it is a good idea to be in decent shape because from Mon-Thursday you play 14 innings per day -- each individual is different, the camp has some very "in shape" and young players -- and also the older guys who would be in shape for each given age -- skill and levels and ages are all across the board. I would say the average age of the camper is 55 and getting through the week without any strained muscles can be a challenge!! We do tell each other -- you have 51 weeks to rest up and heal until next year's camp!