Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Advantageous Oswaldo Arcia

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: The Advantageous Oswaldo Arcia

@OverTheBaggy

2. This user likes Parker Hageman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

" In the bigs, he reverted back to his previous ways and swung harder and more frequently than your parents at the neighborís key party in the late 1980ís."

Fantastic.

4. This user likes freshinthehouse's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by freshinthehouse View Post
    " in the bigs, he reverted back to his previous ways and swung harder and more frequently than your parents at the neighbor’s key party in the late 1980’s."

Ewww.
    ftfy.

6. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    " In the bigs, he reverted back to his previous ways and swung harder and more frequently than your parents at the neighbor’s key party in the late 1980’s."

ah....memories...
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

8. These 4 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-12-2014), glunn (01-10-2014), mike wants wins (01-10-2014), Oldgoat_MN (01-12-2014)

"Arcia thrived in hitter’s counts when he could anticipate the heater."

Sounds like a certain slugger who roamed rightfield for the Twins during most of the '80's. I just hope that's not what he's teaching our youngsters - to be "mistake hitters".

" In the bigs, he reverted back to his previous ways and swung harder and more frequently than your parents at the neighborís key party in the late 1980ís."

Fantastic.
    I thought key parties were a '70's phenomenon.

11. This user likes clank2000's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I would love more mistake hitters......that's how bonds did it, when a pitcher made a mistake, he crushed it. Too many Twins can't do that right now.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From the numbers we were looking at the other day, it'd be easy to say Dozier does the same thing. As I look at it more now, their numbers are both a bit more to the extremes (Arcia especially), but not really bizarre or anything. Parker, where'd you get the .510 for Arcia when ahead?

Splits via BRef, MLB:
    Ahead - .297/.463/.494 (.957)
    Behind - .202/.210.294 (.504)

Dozier:
    Ahead - .312/.460/.618 (1.078)
    Behind - .183/.197/.254 (.451)

Arcia:
    Ahead - .365/.492/.719 (1.210)
    Behind - .143/.149/.171 (.320)

Blog Entries
    Parker, where'd you get the .510 for Arcia when ahead?
    ESPN/trumedia.

The difference is that B-R counts 3-2 counts as "batter ahead" -- which is 63 additional plate appearances in which he hit .186 thereby lowing his B-R splits total to .365. At ESPN/trumedia the 3-2 count is considered "even" which, for all intents and purposes, is an even count.

Dozier had a very similar problem of not being able to hit secondary stuff well.

Blog Entries
    The difference is that Dozier made contact (17.8% swinging strike rate when in pitcher's counts) and Arcia did not (34.8%).

16. This user likes Parker Hageman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    The difference is that B-R counts 3-2 counts as "batter ahead" -- which is 63 additional plate appearances in which he hit .186 thereby lowing his B-R splits total to .365. At ESPN/trumedia the 3-2 count is considered "even" which, for all intents and purposes, is an even count.
    Correct you are, as usual, good sir. Thanks!

Junior Member Rookie SouthDakotaFarmer's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It may be the fact that he is a corner outfielder and has the same body type and facial features, but he reminds me of Bobby Abreu. I hope he ends up being a walk machine and hitting 25+ dingers a year like Abreu did. I have no idea how his "metrics" or whatever you number nerds call it match up to Abreu's but I like the way this kid approaches his at-bats.

19. This user likes SouthDakotaFarmer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am very excited for what Arcia can become. I think that with all the talk about the phenoms Buxton and Sano we the fans, sort of overlook Arcia. He is still quite young, was promoted quite quickly through the upper minors and clearly has things to work on. But, it would be nice to see him intrench himself in right field(I think if they put him there and leave him there he will be OK). The power is clearly for real and the swing is good enough to eventually allow him to hit for a good average as well. If the discipline and pitch recognition come along(as Parker says) he will be a lot of fun to watch.

21. This user likes Jim H's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I'm excited about Arcia but wary as well. There were hints (scouting reports and stats) of being overaggressive with problems hitting breaking balls in the minors and his first MLB season increased those concerns. Has still has nice (offensive) upside though.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    I think any Twins' fans would take Abreu like numbers from Arcia. And I'd sure like to see some of the attitude Gardy displays toward him be a thing of the past, none of the young players need that, at least I sure do not think so. Encouragement not disparagement toward the younger players is what is needed from management at all levels.

I messaged Oswaldo on July 4th and I told him that I didn't think that there were to many 22 year olds that can say that they have a hit off of Pettitte, Hughes and Sabathia. He was happy that his "Elizabethton Mom" was keeping track of his progress. Oswaldo will be fine. Remember, he won't be 23 until May.

25. These 3 users like Madre Dos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014), goulik (01-12-2014), Oldgoat_MN (01-13-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 86 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this point I don't know that he has much of anything to prove in the minors. (Yes he has things to work on!) I expect streaks as well as peaks and valleys. He's little more than an almost 23yo rookie. At this point, on a rebuilding club, getting younger all the time, I believe you run with him most days, sit him on occasion to collect himself once in a while.

I have a lot of faith in the Twins coaching staff as a whole. With the addition of Molitor, we now have four different coaches that have had various degrees of success as hitting instructors both in the minors and majors. Each has received positive reviews at different times collectively, and with/from individual players. And the staff seems to work well together as a whole, no egos getting in the way. I think this offers a lot of potentially good coaching not only for Arcia, but also the other young hitters on the way up.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Advantageous and adventurous as well...
    This is from tonight:

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

28. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    This is from tonight:

That was plain ugly and Delmon-esque, from all 6 angles....la pelota y el matodor whiffo ole'! I think there were more cameraman than fans watching that game.

Do you at least have an encouraging box score to share, Thrylos?
    Last edited by jokin; 01-10-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    This is from tonight:

Was he ahead in the count there or behind? I couldn't tell.

31. These 2 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (01-11-2014), USAFChief (01-11-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast