Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Do the Twins View Swarzak as a Starter?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Do the Twins View Swarzak as a Starter?

Just say no to Duensing. That ship has sailed. I'd love to see Swarzak get a shot. If he can beat out Deduno, I'd be fine with them switching roles.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel like his success is what Hendriks might see in his future. Frustrated that the Twins just blatantly gave up on him at such a young age.

If the Twins want to give him a legit shot at it, I'd be fine with the move. What I wouldn't want (which is what will happen) is him to start in the pen and then jump back and forth a few times and not have success so they scrap the idea. If they want to try him at starter, let him start. Shoot, let him switch roles with Gibson to start the year. Wouldn't be the worth thing to let Gibson come out of the pen a little bit and build confidence to start the year. If Swarzak fails you could then switch them back. Not much harm done in that scenario.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    That the Twins are considering him to start shows how little faith they have in their returning starters

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 291 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if this is just psychology or what. If you really want a guy to pitch well in long relief, make him prepare to be a starter and keep that carrot in front of his nose.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

6. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (01-13-2014)

I agree with letting him prep as a SP for all the reasons mentioned; as a carrot, get ready for long relief and in case of injuries. P. Hernandez, A. Albers, Duensing, PJ, and Hendrix, enough already. Not enough talent for mlb, sorry. Swarzak has talent let's see what happens. As for the others so glad we have signed enough mlb talent to push them out. If Diamond and Worley don't make a strong case, cut bait.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    That the Twins are considering him to start shows how little faith they have in their returning starters
    Of the three returning starters in the rotation, two are veterans being paid to start. The other is a young pitcher whose had major league success.

Frankly, I'm with Nick. The guy, at best, is 7th in the pecking order, I'd rather they start to work him in more towards late-inning situations and see if they can't generate some long-term value in him that way.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Perhaps it's less to do with finding a guy for the 5th starter spot and more about opening up the possibilities for the long man in the bullpen.

Maybe the Twins aren't entirely sure they could trade Worley/Diamond/Deduno but still don't want to lose them to waivers. Swarzak almost surely has some trade value and it would only be higher if league-wide perception is that he is a swingman.

Of the bullpen arms, Swarzak and Duensing seem the most likely to get traded. Both are in arbitration and the Twins have said they have no intention of working out multi-year deals with either. Seems odd they have no intention of working out multi-year deals with two pitchers they reportedly like as a number five pitcher. Unless this lip services is simply trying to make them more attractive to other teams.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-13-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm just assuming the guys that finish 6 and 7 for the starting jobs are the long-relievers. This group includes Duensing and Swarzak. Diamond and Duensing compete for a lefty role. Worley, Deduno, Diamond, Gibson and Swarzak compete for the #5 job/long-relief role.

I also wonder how much trade value Swarzak has. Maybe not much, but I'd think more than Worley.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    I don't see it happening mostly because I would think the Twins would like to give one last shot to our out of options guys Worley/Diamond/Deduno.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    I propose an 8 man rotations called the 2 by 4. Pair up your 8 starters and have them both prepare for starting. Most guys do their best work the 1st and 2nd time through the lineup right? So why not capitalize on that by planning to have your staters only go 4 or 5 innings with another starter to come on in relief and finish it up. It would be more effective if all of our starters were a little different. So you have 8 starters that pitch 4 innings every 4 or 5 days. Then you have your stud relievers in Perk/Burton/Fien to close it out. It's foolproof and you know it.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Diamond and Duensing compete for a lefty role.
    Unless Diamond undergoes a splits transformation, there isn't much competition there. Diamond doesn't do well getting lefties out.

I don't see, if the pitching we signed actually helps out, why we'll have more than one long reliever. Hence why I think sliding him closer to a 6th/7th role might be beneficial for everyone.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I'm just assuming the guys that finish 6 and 7 for the starting jobs are the long-relievers. This group includes Duensing and Swarzak. Diamond and Duensing compete for a lefty role. Worley, Deduno, Diamond, Gibson and Swarzak compete for the #5 job/long-relief role.
    You don't want your lefty who was your best relief pitcher in high leverage situations in 2013, be your long man, you want him to be the set up lefty. I just don't get all the non-appreciation that Duensing gets sometimes (and I am not talking about Jeremy here, just a general comment)

I think that based a. on their performance in 2013 and b. on their contact situation in 2014, both Duensing and Swarzak earned the right to compete for that last spot. And, as horrible as some people think that Duensing has been as a starter, he has pitched better than Diamond.

Career as a starter:
    Duensing: 23-24, 4.18 FIP, 4.11 xFIP, 1.428 WHIP (.320 BABIP), 5.9 K/9, 2.38 K/BB
    Diamond: 19-27, 4.46 FIP, 4.33 xFIP, 1.405 WHIP (.304 BABIP), 4.2 K/9, 1.92 K/BB

So, in other words, if you want a lefty in the rotation, the one who has succeeded the most in the majors as a starter within the current group is Duensing.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    I'm not inclined to read anything into this. Teams across the league are instructing long relievers to prepare as if they were starters. If the Twins believe that Swarzak or Duensing have more than the most remote shot at being in the rotation, their FA activity seems to contradict it.

I agree with most things that have been said. One point hasn't. Depth. Twins have 8 starters. In no particular order--Hughes, Nolasco, Pelfrey, Correia, Deduno (if healthy), Diamond, Duensing, and Swarzek.

Having all 8 prepared to start means that from May to August you have depth to cover the inevitable injuries and doubleheaders without dipping into the minors (unless Meyer is ready--and that is doubtful because he lost too much time in 2013). To me this is telling Albers and Gibson to pick it up or your chances to be in the show are over.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    I agree with most things that have been said. One point hasn't. Depth. Twins have 8 starters. In no particular order--Hughes, Nolasco, Pelfrey, Correia, Deduno (if healthy), Diamond, Duensing, and Swarzek.
    What about Worley (not that I'm excited about him)?

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    To me this is telling Albers and Gibson to pick it up or your chances to be in the show are over.
    No. And comparing a former top prospect and first round pick who has not yet reached his peak to a career independent league guy, does not make much sense. Gibson (and Worley, for many of the same reasons) will be given many opportunities; Albers not that much.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 291 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Swarzak had an ERA+ of 139 last year. That would lead the starting staff. But, last year was his first major league season with zero starts. The previous year, he started 5 games and his ERA+ was 82. His ERA during those 5 starts was over 8. It was just around 4 as a reliever. If I were the Twins coaches, I would keep him in the bullpen and hope he doesn't regress too much to the mean.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 301 Times in 161 Posts
    It's just barely possible that getting a few starts in ST may up the trade value of Swarzak and/or Duensing. So after the Tanaka dust has settled and the rest of the big names have landed somewhere, a team still looking for a number 5/6 starter may offer something useful in exchange.

Now before going all figgy pudding, note the difference between "just barely possible" and "likely," please.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Just say no to Duensing. That ship has sailed. I'd love to see Swarzak get a shot. If he can beat out Deduno, I'd be fine with them switching roles.
    Deduno doesn't throw enough early strikes to be a good reliever. He's either a starter here, or a starter somewhere else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast