Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Phil Miller know something here?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries

Does Phil Miller know something here?

Phil Miller threw a little wrinkle into Spring Training with this little tidbit buried in his article about Twins non-roster ST invitees http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...239450721.html :

"Among the most notable are former Twins Jason Bartlett, who agreed to a minor-league contract in November, and Jason Kubel, who signed a minor-league deal in December. Those two are projected to make the Twins' 25-man roster, and perhaps earn starting roles."

These 2 aren't anywhere to be found on the Twins own current depth chart:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/team/...hart/?c_id=min

While I expected Kubel to have a decent chance to make the club out of ST and either sink or swim to stay on the roster, Bartlett's chances of making the Twins seemed much less likely.

2. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eh, I think Miller is speculating. Ryan just said in an interview (paraphrasing here) "Nobody has seen Jason in a year and a half. We'll see what he looks like in Ft Myers."

That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement to see him on the 25 man roster.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Eh, I think Miller is speculating. Ryan just said in an interview (paraphrasing here) "Nobody has seen Jason in a year and a half. We'll see what he looks like in Ft Myers."

That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement to see him on the 25 man roster.
    I hope this is true, but Miller's rhetoric seems to either be taking wildly great license by the choices in his rhetorical flourish..."are projected to make the Twins"...."perhaps earn starting roles"

...which could blow up in his face and make him look really foolish.....

or he has been tipped by Twins management that both Bartlett and Kubel are on the inside track to securing roster spots. This would necessarily indicate that the Twins have set their sights against further significant offseason improvement from any potential position player acquisitions. Disappointing if true, as there are opportunities out there, plus payroll space.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    I would say if true, it's open admission they don't view Florimon as an everyday solution at SS, and it makes me want Drew even more.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    or he has been tipped by Twins management that both Bartlett and Kubel are on the inside track to securing roster spots. This would necessarily indicate that the Twins have set their sights against further significant offseason improvement from any potential position player acquisitions. Disappointing if true, as there are opportunities out there, plus payroll space.
    I just don't buy it. Ryan has openly said that he hasn't seen Jason Bartlett in 18 months. No way is a GM, even one as loyal as Ryan, going to give a 25 man spot to a guy who hasn't played with the organization in half a decade, a guy that hasn't played professional baseball in over a year.

Occam's Razor.

7. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Phil Miller does not know that Aaron Thompson is a lefty, apparently.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Occam's Razor.
    Agree. Miller probably just lost focus on his words and lumped Bartlett (not so likely) with Kubel (more likely). Happens.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's pretty much a given that Kubel is on the MLB roster Opening Day. They traded Doumit. He had MLB offers. He'll be with the team.

I don't know if Bartlett will even make the Rochester roster out of spring training, and I'd be shocked if he made the Twins roster. That said, it's a great signing because if he's healthy and well-rested, he could get back to being a solid SS.

11. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014), North Dakota Twins Fan (01-11-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope this is true, but Miller's rhetoric seems to either be taking wildly great license by the choices in his rhetorical flourish..."are projected to make the Twins"...."perhaps earn starting roles"

...which could blow up in his face and make him look really foolish.....

I don't think I agree, jokin.

I've not scanned the field of who is left as far as power hitting FAs, so I could be missing a couple of obvious options.

It would be OK with me to save some money for next year and spend big to fill a real need. I think, even after this last year, we still are not sure what we have. With Sano in the wings, some other kids coming along and no clear hot-shot SS available in the market I'm not sure what's left to do.

Maybe sign a slugger OF, but aren't we hoping Hicks comes up and joins Arcia & Willingham/Kubel? (with Presley & Mastro as backups)

I know, there's ALWAYS something they COULD do. I do not, however, want them to spend money just to spend money.
    Last edited by Oldgoat_MN; 01-09-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

I sure hope Bartlett can win the SS job. Sentimentally, I think he can. He was a great clutch hitter when he was with the Twins and one of my favorite players. Logically, I don't think he makes the grade. Pretty hard to comeback after being gone for so long from the game. If he could approach his 2007 numbers of 2HR 43RBI .265BA .339OBP .699OPS it would be a real boost to the lineup. Keeping my fingers crossed that this gamble works out for the Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    It would be OK with me to save some money for next year and spend big to fill a real need. I do not, however, want them to spend money just to spend money.
    Would you rather they pocket it? They're only up to ~85MM. It's not as if they're going to earmark the remainder for 2015.

15. These 2 users like JustinCB's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-09-2014), jokin (01-09-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have heard that they assured Kubel he makes the team out of spring

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Niedermann View Post
    I sure hope Bartlett can win the SS job. Sentimentally, I think he can. He was a great clutch hitter when he was with the Twins and one of my favorite players. Logically, I don't think he makes the grade. Pretty hard to comeback after being gone for so long from the game. If he could approach his 2007 numbers of 2HR 43RBI .265BA .339OBP .699OPS it would be a real boost to the lineup. Keeping my fingers crossed that this gamble works out for the Twins.
    He can easily hit those numbers, even after a year away from MLB. And yes, that would be a boost to the offense, sorry Flori. However, his 2nd rate defense doesn't compare to Pedro's, so maybe it would be a wash? I don't know.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    I have heard that they assured Kubel he makes the team out of spring
    Then why not just give him a MLB contract? Making sure they get more for Dumit? I guess that makes sense.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The reason Bartlett has been out of sight is injuries. He is said to be healthy for the first time in 18 months. If so, he could give Florimon a run for his money. I still think Miller is reaching when he says they expect him to beat out Florimon. But I would not be shocked if he did. Surprised? Yes, Shocked? no.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    The reason Bartlett has been out of sight is injuries. He is said to be healthy for the first time in 18 months. If so, he could give Florimon a run for his money. I still think Miller is reaching when he says they expect him to beat out Florimon. But I would not be shocked if he did. Surprised? Yes, Shocked? no.
    Mark me down as: Stunned.....but as USAFChief said above, the fact that Miller would willingly print this comment possibly says volumes of what the Twins think of Florimon- a 34 year old who has basically been out of baseball for 2 years- has a decent shot at taking Flori's starting job on a rebuilding team.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I don't think I agree, jokin.

I've not scanned the field of who is left as far as power hitting FAs, so I could be missing a couple of obvious options.

It would be OK with me to save some money for next year and spend big to fill a real need. I think, even after this last year, we still are not sure what we have. With Sano in the wings, some other kids coming along and no clear hot-shot SS available in the market I'm not sure what's left to do.

Maybe sign a slugger OF, but aren't we hoping Hicks comes up and joins Arcia & Willingham/Kubel? (with Presley & Mastro as backups)

I know, there's ALWAYS something they COULD do. I do not, however, want them to spend money just to spend money.
    Drew and Hardy available at SS.

Morales and M Young available to DH.

Weiters and possibly Jason Castro at C.

Possibly Pods or Grady Sizemore available as CFs.

Jason Kubel would be a great story if he can come in here and hit like he did in 2012, but I think the odds are pretty long to get that type of production:

1)he got those 2012 numbers in the thin desert air,
    2)he hates Target Field,
    3)you can't possibly play him in the OF at the same time that Willingham is out there (Arcia may need another trip down to AAA),
    4)his K% has gone up every year dramatically since 2009, alarmingly up to 31.7% in 2013,
    5)his Contact Rate is also plummeting, to career lows (69.8%) in 2013..(he averaged in the 80+% while with the Twins).

Hope the Twins have him visit an ophthamologist.

22. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (01-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Drew and Hardy available at SS.

Morales and M Young available to DH.

Weiters and possibly Jason Castro at C.

Possibly Pods or Grady Sizemore available as CFs.

Jason Kubel would be a great story if he can come in here and hit like he did in 2012, but I think the odds are pretty long to get that type of production:

1)he got those 2012 numbers in the thin desert air,
    2)he hates Target Field,
    3)you can't possibly play him in the OF at the same time that Willingham is out there (Arcia may need another trip down to AAA),
    4)his K% has gone up every year dramatically since 2009, alarmingly up to 31.7% in 2013,
    5)his Contact Rate is also plummeting, to career lows (69.8%) in 2013..(he averaged in the 80+% while with the Twins).

Hope the Twins have him visit an ophthamologist.
    Sizemore? Really. He hasn't played regularly since 2009. He hasn't played at all since 2011.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Sizemore? Really. He hasn't played regularly since 2009. He hasn't played at all since 2011.
    Bartlett hasn't played since 2012, and that was 29 games, but people are penciling him in at SS.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Bartlett hasn't played since 2012, and that was 29 games, but people are penciling him in at SS.

From MLB.com http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin :

'One player the Reds could end up getting is former star Indians outfielder Grady Sizemore, MLB.com's Mark Sheldon reports. "We have [talked]," says Jocketty. "I'm not sure where that is right now. With the holidays, not much has happened." Due to injury trouble, Sizemore has not played since 2011, so if the Reds were to sign him, it would almost certainly be a minor-league deal.
    Jocketty believed Sizemore was healthy to try resuming his career.
    "We think so. He appears to be," the GM said.'

At least Sizemore and one team think he can come back with a somewhat better endorsement that TR gave Bartlett. Grady Sizemore at 75% until Buxton comes up or Hicks proves truly ready sounds pretty good to me.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-09-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast