Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Phil Miller know something here?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    I cannot imagine any scenario where Colabello is on a MLB roster, he is 30 years old and to me just about the same as a retread talent-wise or perhaps even worse. He will assuredly look nice on the Rochester roster.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 338 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    I cannot imagine any scenario where Colabello is on a MLB roster, he is 30 years old and to me just about the same as a retread talent-wise or perhaps even worse. He will assuredly look nice on the Rochester roster.

Not that he should ever be on the Twins 25-man, but I can imagine many scenarios where Colabello will spend time with the Twins this year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Florimon and Colabello shouldn't get any bonus points over older veterans because the Twins are rebuilding. They are younger but they shouldn't be considered long term pieces either.

I could easily see Bartlett winning a spot on the roster over Escobar (or they carry two backup infielders) and splitting time at SS with Florimon.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Florimon and Colabello shouldn't get any bonus points over older veterans because the Twins are rebuilding. They are younger but they shouldn't be considered long term pieces either.

I could easily see Bartlett winning a spot on the roster over Escobar (or they carry two backup infielders) and splitting time at SS with Florimon.
    Escobar is out of options, Florimon is not. Esco fits the UTIL IF role much better than the other two, who have virtually only ever played SS. Would they really carry 4 MI?

Senior Member All-Star
    Escobar kind of sucks. Losing him because he's out of options isn't a concern.

Almost every season this team frustratingly carries 2 futility infielders. Last year it was Carroll and Escobar.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Escobar kind of sucks. Losing him because he's out of options isn't a concern.

Almost every season this team frustratingly carries 2 futility infielders. Last year it was Carroll and Escobar.
    So Bartlett comes in in the Carroll role? Even though he doesn't have the bona fides at either 2nd or 3rd base? Ugh.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    So Bartlett comes in in the Carroll role? Even though he doesn't have the bona fides at either 2nd or 3rd base? Ugh.
    The only problem is that you are implying that Escobar is a bonafide MLB'er. He kind of sucks regardless of how many positions he has played before. If Bartlett beats out Escobar and they only carry one backup MI'er then he will obviously have to show that he can handle 2B/3B.

But in the end they are going to carry two futility infielders like they do pretty much every year. It's better than carrying two backup catchers but not much.

Liked 1,089 Times in 489 Posts
    It's better than carrying two backup catchers but not much.
    It's also better than two backup catchers AND two futility infielders. Plus a 13 man staff. Which if memory serves isn't unprecedented.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

9. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (01-11-2014), jokin (01-11-2014), snepp (01-11-2014)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    It's also better than two backup catchers AND two futility infielders. Plus a 13 man staff. Which if memory serves isn't unprecedented.
    It sure does make man'gin' easier though.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

11. These 2 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-11-2014), USAFChief (01-11-2014)

Liked 1,089 Times in 489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    It sure does make man'gin' easier though.
    One would think, but that still leaves room to get your best hitter out of the game for defense, and then there's the problem of trying to get 7 relievers into the game by the end of the 8th.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

13. These 4 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-11-2014), jokin (01-11-2014), kab21 (01-11-2014), snepp (01-11-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    No it isn't. It happened at times, as recently as last year. Why change up when things are going so swimmingly?

But seriously, if they somehow sign Garza and, since they signed a legitimate defensive veteran ML catcher, Gardy should be read the riot act that it's a new day coming here...... the Twins payroll money has been shifted to focus on the Starting pitching woes, 7 or 8 pen arms are now hereby (at least to open the season) superfluous and that he only gets 2 catchers and 11 pitchers to start out, with always at least one, if not 2, legitimate hitting options from either side of the plate available off the bench.

And going back to the infield, if Bartlett is really capable of a "Lazarus rising from the ashes routine", isn't it Florimon who is out of a job? Or are the Twins convinced that either "Barty" or PFlo Jr can fill the UTIL duties? It made no sense to carry both Caroll and Escobar last year as 2 true UTIL/no bat guys, it also makes no sense to not carry 1 true utility guy this year. If they are going with the 2 bench IFers SOP, it is incumbent on management to find a decent hitting platoon partner for Plouffe, or....

how about this to throw against the wall and see if it sticks?......

get Drew and employ a platoon split with Lazarus, er, I mean Bartlett (.795 career split against LHP). If Florimon is as valuable as many on this thread think he is/can become, he should bring back a pretty decent prospect in return or he can be stashed in AAA with his remaining option.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-11-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    The only problem is that you are implying that Escobar is a bonafide MLB'er. He kind of sucks regardless of how many positions he has played before. If Bartlett beats out Escobar and they only carry one backup MI'er then he will obviously have to show that he can handle 2B/3B.

But in the end they are going to carry two futility infielders like they do pretty much every year. It's better than carrying two backup catchers but not much.
    No implications on my part about Esco- they can always find another like him on the waiver wire. But the fact remains, you do need a guy who can somewhat competently and reliably handle multiple infield positions- I think he proved that last year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Why are you convinced that Bartlett can't handle 3B/2B if he is still a competent player at SS? Before last season Escobar had something like 50 games played (each) at 3B and 2B. If Bartlett showed that he could handle the position and won the job then why can't he be a futility infielder?

Carrying two futility infielders is more common than you think. I gave the example last year but almost every year the Twins have two backup MI'ers. Almost the only way the Twins don't carry two backup MI'ers is if they sign an actual backup 3Bman or if Plouffe is relegated to the bench by Sano. Being the better player is why Escobar or Bartlett should make the team.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Then why not just give him a MLB contract? Making sure they get more for Dumit? I guess that makes sense.
    Because the 40 man roster is/was full. By agreeing to a minor league contract, and a gentlman's agreement, it allows the team time to make room for him.

18. This user likes SweetOne69's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (01-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 289 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the gentleman's agreement is in place for both Bartlett ans Kubel. They still have to prove it in Spring Training. But if healthy, they are odds-on favorites to make the team. Bartlett was pretty good until he got hurt. Can he come back? Sure. Can he beat out Pedro? Not likely. But it will be fun to see him beat the odds on that one.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 134 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What I can see (and grudgingly accept) is two utility infielders--Bartlett and Escobar--with Bartlett seeing quite a bit of duty as a quasi-platoon partner for Florimon. This would hinge on Bartlett hitting well enough against left handers to be considered an alternative as a pinch hitter against a left hander late in a game. Bartlett isn't a second or third baseman, but a shortstop can adapt at least marginally to the other infield positions as a second backup at both second and third. A left handed hitter to get at-bats at third and second would be optimal, but maybe there will be some improvement from Escobar. He at least has some youth on his side.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Isn't it common to keep 2 bench infielders? A typical 25 man roster is made up of 12 pitchers, 8 starting position players, 1 DH and 4 reserves.

The reserves are usually 1 catcher, 1 OF, and 2 IF

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One would think, but that still leaves room to get your best hitter out of the game for defense, and then there's the problem of trying to get 7 relievers into the game by the end of the 8th.
    Given the rotation the past couple of years, that hasn't been as difficult as you might think.

23. These 2 users like IdahoPilgrim's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (01-12-2014), USAFChief (01-12-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    USAFChief - great lines about getting your best hitter out of the lineup for defense and trying to get 7 relievers into the game by the end of the 8th. Are we sure you are not using USAFChief as a disguise for "The Common Man" or is it indeed you, Dan Cole?

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Why are you convinced that Bartlett can't handle 3B/2B if he is still a competent player at SS? Before last season Escobar had something like 50 games played (each) at 3B and 2B. If Bartlett showed that he could handle the position and won the job then why can't he be a futility infielder?

Carrying two futility infielders is more common than you think. I gave the example last year but almost every year the Twins have two backup MI'ers. Almost the only way the Twins don't carry two backup MI'ers is if they sign an actual backup 3Bman or if Plouffe is relegated to the bench by Sano. Being the better player is why Escobar or Bartlett should make the team.
    I'm not convinced of anything. I would prefer that the Twins find a better way to upgrade an already-anemic offense that on paper is going to be worse in 2014, particularly if you get the combined offensive production reminiscent of Carroll/Escobar circa 2013.

Being the better player (especially at the plate) is why they should still seek to sign someone better than either Esco or Bartlett, or both.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast