Thread: Mason: Q&A with Terry Ryan (1/9/14)

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mason: Q&A with Terry Ryan (1/9/14)

Tyler Mason, the excellent writer from FS North, had a chance to sit down with Twins GM Terry Ryan. It was a terrific interviews with good questions on Mike Pelfrey, the catching situation, the need for better offense and much more!

http://msn.foxsports.com/north/story...yan-q-a-010914

2. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ryan keeps injecting Fryer's name when nobody else seems to want to. That's got to mean something.

4. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Ryan keeps injecting Fryer's name when nobody else seems to want to. That's got to mean something.
    It probably does, but they were willing to have Butera as basically the third catcher for much of last year but keep him at Rochester. Hopefully that's still the plan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    He has been consistent about Fryer all offseason and last season. Obviously they really like his defense, and that's a big part of the role of backup catcher.

7. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    I think he's hoping to much for guys like Plouffe and Parmalee. I have no hope for them, but have hope TR's got some kind of backup plan when these guys don't improve.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Concerning Mike Pelfrey "We like his presence on this ball club." I'm trying to think of something that could have been less exciting than that quote. I like Mike Plefrey because he reminds me of a Sasquatch, his big and slow and lumbers around and I get to call him "Big Pelf."

"You can't keep hoping. We've got to start producing." Exactly right Mr. Ryan. Let's hope we get more production in 2014

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    I think he's hoping to much for guys like Plouffe and Parmalee. I have no hope for them, but have hope TR's got some kind of backup plan when these guys don't improve.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, because I do like Ryan's new-found willingness to explore roster building options that have not traditionally been part of the Twins' thinking, but is there some particular reason you "have hope TR's got some kind of backup plan,"?

I ask because I've seen little or no evidence that the organization has gone in to any of the recent seasons with legitimate "backup plans" to implement when their primary offseason roster-building strategies didn't work out.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

11. These 3 users like Jim Crikket's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (01-09-2014), johnnydakota (01-09-2014), jokin (01-09-2014)

Ryan was unusually forthcoming in this interview.

Blog Entries
    Isn't the fallback on Plouffe, who was probably the team's 4th best hitter last year, is Sano when he's deemed ready.

What's Parmelee's role? I think they hvae plenty of fall backs for backup 1B, backup corner OF, part time DH/PH, don't they?

I think he's right. At some point, you can't just fix everything. You have to pick and choose. TR has picked pitching, which I think we can all agree on. You have to count on guys taking a step forward. 1, maybe 2, will.

14. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-09-2014), Joe A. Preusser (01-09-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 111 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Isn't the fallback on Plouffe, who was probably the team's 4th best hitter last year, is Sano when he's deemed ready.

What's Parmelee's role? I think they hvae plenty of fall backs for backup 1B, backup corner OF, part time DH/PH, don't they?

I think he's right. At some point, you can't just fix everything. You have to pick and choose. TR has picked pitching, which I think we can all agree on. You have to count on guys taking a step forward. 1, maybe 2, will.
    Arcia, Hicks, Flori, Plouffer, Parm, Pinto. 1 or 2 out of 6 seems like aiming low to me. How about 3-4, that still seems reasonable?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, because I do like Ryan's new-found willingness to explore roster building options that have not traditionally been part of the Twins' thinking, but is there some particular reason you "have hope TR's got some kind of backup plan,"?

I ask because I've seen little or no evidence that the organization has gone in to any of the recent seasons with legitimate "backup plans" to implement when their primary offseason roster-building strategies didn't work out.
    No particular reason other than what you just pointed out. I'd like to see us start the season competitive right from the get go. Giving these guys a month or two into the season to see if the hope they improve doesn't cut it with me. It's time to fish or cut bait.

Platooning is only role Plouffe should have. He should never face RH pitching.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Platooning is only role Plouffe should have. He should never face RH pitching.
    You'll get a lot of agreement here at TD, but Gardy makes the lineup.

Alas...
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.