Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Philip Nelson to transfer from the U

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,269 Times in 680 Posts

Philip Nelson to transfer from the U

Curious move but not altogether surprising, a bit of a blow especially if Leidner goes down next season, although Streveler may arguably be the man regardless soon enough.

Funny part is that Nelson wants to go somewhere to pass more, despite not exactly being too adept at it so far for the Gophers. Or maybe he's got the inside track on Jeff Jones signing and knows he might never throw the ball again.

2 QB transfers in two years for Kill , definitely interesting to see if anything else comes out of this.

http://fansided.com/2014/01/16/minnesota-golden-gophers-quarterback-philip-nelson-transfer/

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Still waiting to see Kill succeed in a meaningful, hard, game against a great opponent. That Syracuse loss was pathetic, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Agreed, but I think it's coming, they held tough against Wisconsin and Michigan State but close won't cut it for much longer. While the Nebraska game was much celebrated, I think anyone in the know realizes that was a Husker team in a bit of disarray.

The Syracuse game was definitely a big disappointment, although in the big picture it effects the program very little. It's definitely a game they should have won however.

The ironic thing is how much the Syracuse game says about Nelson, he was awful. Good luck in the MAC with that resume.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    I don't see this as an issue at all. Nelson had some moments, but he all too often made bad head decisions that his body couldn't overcome. I love the group of QBs they have. This isn't an Ohio State or Wisconsin roster, so you need guys playing smart to maximize their talent. One of the few positive things I took away from playing under Glen Mason was how much he stressed smart play because his teams typically were less talented then their opponent on the field.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not too worried about this. I hope Nelson succeeds elsewhere, but he is obviously not a D1 QB. He would be more comfortable and have a lot more fun in a different division (maybe just a downgrade from the big10 even).
    Do or do not. There is no try.

I don't think it's anything to worry about but transfers of that nature and frequency can effect a program a little. Not to mention, Nelson would have provided some good depth if Streveler doesn't come along quickly. I have faith in Leidner.

Makes you wonder if they should have red shirted Nelson.