Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Article: The Case for Stephen Drew

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    From Phill Miller today, this disconcerting quote:

Among the most notable are former Twins Jason Bartlett, who agreed to a minor-league contract in November, and Jason Kubel, who signed a minor-league deal in December. Those two are projected to make the Twins' 25-man roster, and perhaps earn starting roles.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...239450721.html
    Interesting. The official word seems to be that Bartlett is a long shot, but maybe this message is meant to be motivation.

"Good night, Jason. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely cut you in the morning."

- Dread Pirate Ryan

This is similar to how they treated Joe Nathan in spring training before giving him the closer's job.

2. This user likes Doomtints's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-09-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    From Phill Miller today, this disconcerting quote:

Among the most notable are former Twins Jason Bartlett, who agreed to a minor-league contract in November, and Jason Kubel, who signed a minor-league deal in December. Those two are projected to make the Twins' 25-man roster, and perhaps earn starting roles.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...239450721.html
    Kubel will likely be the opening day DH. I will take what Miller said re: Bartlett with a huge grain of salt; it's his own assumption. Ryan was quoted to say something like 'nobody has seen Bartlett play for a year and a half and we'll see what he can do'. BTW, in the same piece he also lists Aaron Thompson as a "right hand reliever" (which is wrong & disappointing).
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    As I have posted previously way too much discussion time is being spent on the shortstop subject, let's talk about REAL players already on the roster and/or others who may be acquired this year and in the years to come. Present roster - Mauer, Dozier, Arcia and that is about it, other players to be acquired - who knows at this point? And in fact Bartlett may be a decent stopgap until a really good kid surfaces, in fact he may be as decent as Hardy was minus the homeruns.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 478 Times in 276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    If that's how you define reliability, then Drew better fits your definition.

I appreciate the chart, but I'm not following the stability thing. Several of those guys were acquired through trade and free agency (including Drew). Drew/Dozier sounds a lot better for 2014-2016 than Florimon/Dozier?

All I really noticed in that chart is that all the shortstops on the championship teams had the ability to hit. Although I believe Lugo had a down year that year.
    Your initial comparisons showed me that a Drew signing would be a considerable offensive upgrade. I value Florimon's defense more than most here and am maybe biased towards that. And I think we just disagree on whether Drew is capable of staying on the field in years two and three of a contract. If he gets hurt, it's a circus again with shuffling the roster, shuffling the lineup. But Hardy has stayed on the field in Baltimore, which I wouldn't have predicted, so I will grant you that possibility.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,482 Times in 777 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Your initial comparisons showed me that a Drew signing would be a considerable offensive upgrade. I value Florimon's defense more than most here and am maybe biased towards that. And I think we just disagree on whether Drew is capable of staying on the field in years two and three of a contract. If he gets hurt, it's a circus again with shuffling the roster, shuffling the lineup. But Hardy has stayed on the field in Baltimore, which I wouldn't have predicted, so I will grant you that possibility.
    Eh, injury plagued players are always injured until they aren't. Healthy players take the field every day until they don't.

Really, I think too many people throw around terms like "everyday" and "injury plagued" far too freely. There simply isn't a good predictor for health. Carl Pavano is a perfect example of such a player. He was a workhorse innings-eater until he wasn't. Then he was injury plagued until he wasn't. Then he was a workhorse innings-eater again until he wasn't. Then he got old and tried to shovel some snow.

A famous exception is if you're Rich Harden. Then your arm might fall off doing the dishes one day. But Rich Harden can't be used as an example of anything, not since he killed that gypsy's daughter and had an unbreakable curse placed on him using goat's blood baked into a pie.

7. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-12-2014)

Liked 2,995 Times in 1,271 Posts
    I think there's a difference in having a chronic problem--Jim Thome's back--and having an injury.

Drew's broken ankle was serious, and likely affected him for a year or more, but it's probably not any more likely to be broken again than any other player's ankle.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

9. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-12-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,482 Times in 777 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I think there's a difference in having a chronic problem--Jim Thome's back--and having an injury.

Drew's broken ankle was serious, and likely affected him for a year or more, but it's probably not any more likely to be broken again than any other player's ankle.
    Yep. Joe Crede is another guy who had a chronic issue, which is very different than a "I slipped in the tub and broke my face. Hope it doesn't happen again." type of injury.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries

Drew's injury was Joe Theismann-like horrific. Watch the video to the very end if you can stomach viewing a foot pointing the wrong direction from the body:

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/video-...-freak-injury/

He fractured the fibula, which required surgery to install a series of plates, plus, even more importantly he tore numerous ligaments, making this much more than just a broken ankle injury.

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    holding open spots on your major league roster for players in the low minors is a terrible way to run an organization
    This is the best argument for signing Drew, IMO. We all know Florimon isn't anything special and there isn't anything ready to be harvested from the farm. Even just the opportunity to have an above-average shortstop on the roster probably isn't likely otherwise for the next few years unless it is via trade or FA next year. I'm hoping for a guy like Trea Turner, but Drew still makes sense timeline-wise in that scenario.

I see it boiling down to 2 options:
    - Give Florimon this year to see if he can show anything more with the bat than he did last year. If not, you assess your 2014 draft and minor league depth while most likely signing a stopgap SS from next year's decent FA crop at the position.
    - Sign Drew this year to something like a 2 year deal with a team option and continue to develop the pipeline. I don't see any prospects who would be harmed by 2 more years of development time.

Given the Twins payroll flexibility, I'm okay with either but the first option means I'd want them to help the offense in some other way this year.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 472 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Still not on the Drew bandwagon. The Bartlett note has gotten me thinking to the point that perhaps both Bartlett and Escobar go north as utility infielders. IIRC, Bartlett had pretty good numbers against left handers and after last year's struggles RH for Florimon, he could get at-bats against LH starting pitching. Bartlett being a veteran could also (perhaps) pinch-hit against a tough lefty late in a game and they still would have Escobar. Bringing two utility infielders north would be it for both Colabello or Parmelee, unless Kubel is dreadful.

Two light hitting futility infielders, an extra catcher, and a minimum of 12 pitchers on the 25 man roster...sounds like runs!

15. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-10-2014), mike wants wins (01-10-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 603 Times in 337 Posts
    Two light hitting futility infielders, an extra catcher, and a minimum of 12 pitchers on the 25 man roster...sounds like runs!
    Who are you fooling with only 12?

17. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Who are you fooling with only 12?
    Myself?

I might be light on the number of catchers too, come to think of it.

19. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-10-2014), jokin (01-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 73 Times in 54 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the pending retirement of Derek Jeter after the 2014 season the Yankees appear to be happy with the possibilty of Brendan Ryan being their backup plan for the Yankee's captain in 2014 as well as the STARTER in 2015, despite Stephen Drew being available. Brendan Ryan being a far inferior hitter to Pedro Florimon and by SABR standards, an inferior fielder.

ESPN - Source: Yanks still not interested in Drew

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 478 Times in 276 Posts
    Jeter's retirement is an interesting little wrinkle, no doubt. That the Twins might find themselves in the FA shortstop market the same year as the Yankees.

I'm curious to know if this changes any minds on Drew, one way or another. I'd still say no thank you to Drew, roll with Florimon for '14, re-assess in offseason.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112