Thread: Article: Twins Organizational Depth Chart - Catchers

Liked 204 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Organizational Depth Chart - Catchers

2. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Fryer makes the Twins over Pinto and Herrmann, I expect another long season. Already the Twins have no bats at CF and SS, and a questionable one at DH, and losing another at C will not take them anywhere.

If the Twins want another defensive-minded catcher, in addition to Suzuki, it should be Herrmann. He was ranked by BA's as the best defensive catcher in the Twins minors in 2013, for a good reason.

4. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

Good article Seth. I am more optimistic than you on Pinto. I feel he will hit enough to keep the number 1 spot with Suzuki catching 2-3 games a week. Mauer and Suzuki and Steinbech will work with him on developing his defense and catching game. Probably Hermann will be the 3rd catcher and backup OF.

6. This user likes DAM DC Twins Fans's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (01-07-2014)

Blog Entries
    I'm not down on Pinto at all, and I think he can be the long-term guy behind the plate. I just wonder if it'll be opening day, or a month in?

I'd say it'll either be: Pinto/Suzuki or Suzuki/Fryer.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    Thanks for doing this, Seth. I was looking for some kind of organizational depth chart and was having difficulty finding one.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice write up Seth. Thank you.

I agree with DAM. There are numerous mentors available to Pinto.
    It will be fun to watch his development this year.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Are the Twins really going to carry a third catcher? It seems that Mauer could fill in for a part of a game with limited risk and then another could be called up. I was hoping with Mauer's move, there would be no more need to carry a third catcher. I guess if the third catcher is Hermann, it isn't a huge deal because of his versatility.

11. This user likes Wanklenuts's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (01-07-2014)

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,261 Times in 753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You have to stay in shape, in a different way, to be ready to play the catcher position, and I don't know enough to guess how much of the wear and tear on a catcher comes from playing the games (with the recent emphasis on the risk of concussion) versus staying ready (boocoo crouching, etc), given that the aims of switching Mauer to first seem to be both to keep him in the lineup and potentially increase his already substantial effectiveness at the plate.

13. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-10-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanklenuts View Post
    Are the Twins really going to carry a third catcher?--- I guess if the third catcher is Hermann, it isn't a huge deal because of his versatility.
    I don't think they will... Herrmann would be an ideal 3rd catcher because of his versatility. But I don't think they'll have a 3rd catcher just because.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 290 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I must confess, I don't see why Pinto is as bad defensively as you say, Seth. He's not great at controlling the running game. But he's adequate. He has soft hands and presents a good low target. What exactly are his defensive deficiencies?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    The 3rd catcher move has always been around the question of what if Mauer was DH and your backup that year was catching and the backup got injured. They couldn't move Mauer to catcher without losing the DH so Gardy always wanted a 3rd option. Given that Suzuki and probably Pinto will not be good enough to earn AB at DH I don't think the Twins will waste a roster spot on a 3rd catcher. One of them will always be on the bench if the other gets injured in a game.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanklenuts View Post
    Are the Twins really going to carry a third catcher? It seems that Mauer could fill in for a part of a game with limited risk and then another could be called up. I was hoping with Mauer's move, there would be no more need to carry a third catcher. I guess if the third catcher is Hermann, it isn't a huge deal because of his versatility.
    My opinion is since Mauer moved to first base, we should pretend he doesn't know how to be a catcher unless it is an extreme emergency situation. I don't see why the Twins would risk putting him back there. I might be overly cautious, but it just takes one bad foul tip to the head and his career could be over, or he could be nowhere near the player he was. It's not worth the risk to me.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 290 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    The 3rd catcher move has always been around the question of what if Mauer was DH and your backup that year was catching and the backup got injured. They couldn't move Mauer to catcher without losing the DH so Gardy always wanted a 3rd option. Given that Suzuki and probably Pinto will not be good enough to earn AB at DH I don't think the Twins will waste a roster spot on a 3rd catcher. One of them will always be on the bench if the other gets injured in a game.
    I'm with you. If Hermann was a better hitter than the fourth guy on the bench, I could see it. But there are several better hitters in camp this year. In particular, Parmelee from the left side and Ramirez from the right side.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Im with Tibs if Mauer made the move that's it. Don't play around just play him everyday at 1st and ride that pony

About the only reason for a 3rd catcher is if your backup starts at DH. Then if the starting catcher gets hurt, you lose the DH when the backup takes the field. Most teams honestly wind up *needing* a third catcher, what...maybe 3-4 times a year? To that end, I see no problem with Mauer being the "emergency 3rd" catcher. He might log 20 innings behind the plate at most.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Didn't we go into last season hearing that Eduardo Escobar could act as the "emergency catcher?" Hard to see him not being the Utility Infielder this year (well, I guess it could be Bartlett, though I have low expectations there) now that Jamey Carroll is out of the picture, so he should be good for that again this year, presumably.

22. This user likes ericchri's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-07-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everybody always used to point out that Morneau used to catch and could have been the emergency catcher (before the concussions), well he never caught for the Twins. I feel Mauer should be used the same way....NEVER catch again. He is too valuable on the field and there are enough options. The biggest argument for Herrmann is that he is left-handed, but I agree that every spot on the bench should be earned, not gifted.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where does Kyle Knudson fit?
    He hit .295/.382 /.352 in 28 games at AA last year

He doesn't have much power but looks to be able to avoid the SO, take a walk now and then and get a single or two.

What's his D like?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Mauer should be the emergency catcher. This player is required about once per year. Losing the DH?--for what one AB?--that's what PH are for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Where does Kyle Knudson fit?
    He hit .295/.382 /.352 in 28 games at AA last year

He doesn't have much power but looks to be able to avoid the SO, take a walk now and then and get a single or two.

What's his D like?
    Considered very good. Works well with pitchers. frames well. Won't hit much, but tremendous reputation behind the plate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast