Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Rumor Mill Round-Up: 1/6

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Rumor Mill Round-Up: 1/6

2. This user likes Nick Nelson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-06-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    I think you have them rated about right. To me Santana makes the most sense. I think it would be fine that he may not be ready for the start of the season. That would give us time to sort out our roster. He would be the "6th" starter but I just read where last year MLB teams average 32 starts not from their top 5 starters(Fangraphs). As a fan this is the move I would like to see. I realize he will not be CY Johan but he could be better than most of our current starters. I don't care if they sign Arroyo or Garza. I don't want Drew.

4. This user likes Otwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buzzkill. You and your reasonable arguments.

6. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (01-06-2014), USAFChief (01-06-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone think that if they were to sign Garza that they would then trade Correia? It frees up some money and a spot in the rotation. While not the move that most people would see coming we are talking about a GM who traded two center fielders last year to open up a spot there.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Homer Bailey may be available.....
    The Astros might make their catcher, Castro, available......I'd trade for him for the right price.
    Lighten up Francis....

9. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-06-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are the Twins interested in Jeff Baker at all

Haren and Zumaya? Let's bring back Pat Neshek!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    I think your rankings need to be inversed. This off-season Terry Ryan is clearly opporating opposite of his instincts. Watch him in action here.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Latest rumor is the Mets won't go 2 years for Drew, because they don't really want him either.

Yankees, Orioles, Tigers, White Sox, Royals, Indians, Rangers, Phillies, Braves, Nats, Cards, Reds, Brewers, Rockies, Dodgers, D-Backs, Padres - all of them are probably out on Drew. Even the Red Sox have Bogaerts and Middlebrooks.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,200 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I think your rankings need to be inversed. This off-season Terry Ryan is clearly opporating opposite of his instincts. Watch him in action here.
    That's right. Terry, go right up to 'em. "I'm Masahiro Tanaka. Hiii."

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Latest rumor is the Mets won't go 2 years for Drew, because they don't really want him either.

Yankees, Orioles, Tigers, White Sox, Royals, Indians, Rangers, Phillies, Braves, Nats, Cards, Reds, Brewers, Rockies, Dodgers, D-Backs, Padres - all of them are probably out on Drew. Even the Red Sox have Bogaerts and Middlebrooks.
    So Boras lets him fall into our laps by Spring Training? Drew playing SS in 120 games primarily against RHP. keeps him healthy.... and OPSing near somewhere around .795-.870 with quality defense seems well worth $10M or a little more and the loss of a 2nd rd pick....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 200 Times in 121 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post

That doesn't leave a whole lot of teams.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Drew is injury-proned. Sometimes wanting is better than having.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I don't doubt that the Twins are still keeping an eye on Arroyo, but the same caveat applies as with Garza; it just doesn't make a ton of sense to spend big on filling that final rotation spot when you've got a handful of reasonable candidates to compete and prospects in waiting.
    It's time for TD pundits to do some reporting. What are the odds on a 1-5 scale that the Twins are constantly being mentioned as never before such that they are legitimately still in on all of the mentioned potential starters and others you didn't mention? Isn't there a reasonably good argument that TR must have some back-pocket options on moving Correia should he be able to land an upgrade?

The lost draft pick for Drew can be fairly easily recouped through trade for a legit prospect or making a QO when Drew's contract expires- the local scribes should enjoin the Twins from getting away with utilizing this "loss of a draft pick" canard....and simply shouldn't be accepted as a valid excuse for precluding such an obvious upgrade.... this is an unwillingness to spend available dollars while only taking on a little additional risk without blocking a deserving prospect.

On a semi-serious note, could the Twins turn the tables on the Red Sox, and incentivize Boras and Steve Drew and make a joint pact with the brothers Drew.....by bringing JD back to the Twins Cities and out of retirement, in a Jim Thome-like role (career OPS+ 125 hitter and only 38)?

Liked 1,190 Times in 694 Posts
    Rumor mill is about as cold as the weather. (Thanks for the round-up though, Nick).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Haren and Zumaya? Let's bring back Pat Neshek!
    wish. Need to buy a "d"
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Homer Bailey may be available.....
    The Astros might make their catcher, Castro, available......I'd trade for him for the right price.
    Interesting Jeremy Nygard-like article on Castro and pitch-framing.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jason...tcher-framing/
    A Stanford product who has taken a cerebral and "glutteal" approach to improving his framing numbers in 2013.

I'd be on board. Big, lefty-hitting C balances out the position nicely. Projected to make $2.2M in 2014. Which prospect is an even-up trade? One of the thumpers (Walker, Vargas, Harrison)? I wouldn't want to give up much more than that, certainly not any of the top 5 pitching prospects.

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    I'd love them to sign Garza. Aside from Nolasco the rest of their projected rotation hasn't proven much lately, though still should be a decent improvement. I'd sign Drew too but I care a lot less about spending Pohlad money than most people. Good to see the FO shelling it out this offseason though, hopefully they keep it going.

Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by troyhobbs View Post
    I'd love them to sign Garza. Aside from Nolasco the rest of their projected rotation hasn't proven much lately, though still should be a decent improvement. I'd sign Drew too but I care a lot less about spending Pohlad money than most people. Good to see the FO shelling it out this offseason though, hopefully they keep it going.
    I'm also glad the Twins have gone out and spent some money in FA. On the other hand, what choice did they have? The Twins would have a payroll of $60-65m in 2014 if they had done their usual offseason dumpster diving. I'm guessing Dave St. Peter didn't want to run a "This is Houston Astros Territory" marketing campaign after three 90 loss seasons.

After years of poor drafting, players aging, leaving and/or being sold at their lowest value, the Twins had no in-house players to extend (besides the Milkman and Pony Boy). The core of the next competitive Twins team will be making league minimum for most of the rest of the decade. Most of those guys aren't on the major league team yet. The Twins could not afford to trot out a AAAA team again without risking long-term damage to their brand.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Interesting Jeremy Nygard-like article on Castro and pitch-framing. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jason...tcher-framing/A Stanford product who has taken a cerebral and "glutteal" approach to improving his framing numbers in 2013. I'd be on board. Big, lefty-hitting C balances out the position nicely. Projected to make $2.2M in 2014. Which prospect is an even-up trade? One of the thumpers (Walker, Vargas, Harrison)? I wouldn't want to give up much more than that, certainly not any of the top 5 pitching prospects.
    I would call that more Parker Hageman-esque, though our good looks can lead to confusion.

25. These 3 users like Jeremy Nygaard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-07-2014), snepp (01-07-2014), USAFChief (01-07-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast