Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Nyjer Morgan

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nyjer Morgan

I just read that Nyjer Morgan is looking to return to MLB after spending last year in Japan. Could the Twins use him?
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doubtful in my opinion, though I'd take a flyer on a milb contract and ST invite. He hits LH, as does the younger Presley, and he offers very little in the way of power. I think Presley is the younger and better option at this point, with some room to improve.

Now, if that flyer would work out, Hicks isn't ready at the start of the season and we could play both so Willingam could DH full time, now I have some interest.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't Morgan be an upgrade over Presley? It would only cost a little more money on a 1-year contract and help bridge the gap to Buxton.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would not be an upgrade to Presley, so would take a pass. Did not hit the last time in the bigs and no guarantee he would this time.

Pass on Nyjer. Period. I remember his days here in DC with the Nats...not good. Not an improvement over Pressley or Mastro. If signed to MiLB contract could block Hicks and Buxton.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think that he will be any sort of improvement over Hicks/Presley at this point. That said, I don't know what the Twins may think. They were bidding on Rajai Davis who is kinda of a similar player (speed being the biggest tool for both and contact not being that great) Just checked his Japanese league stats and had around .800 OPS (does not mean much) but stole only 3 out of 5 bases, which is really surprising...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No...he's 33 and his base stealing prowess is gone. Presley is a nice guy to hold the spot for Hicks when he eventually takes it. There is no need for Morgan.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm in complete agreement with everyone on Morgan. I don't think he would be any significant upgrade over Pressly, plus we would have to make room for him on the 40 man. On top of being an extraneous piece, I think from the organization's perspective they probably aren't very interested simply considering his makeup and reputation as being a distraction in the clubhouse. Although on a personal level, in a vacuum I think he could be really entertaining in a 4th straight (probably) forgettable season.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

No. No. No.
    A thousand times no.

Morgan an is a giant doosher, and I would be upset if the Twins wasted a moment of their time on him.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    I remember this guy making news.

And not the good kind either. Pass

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLBTR today throws cold water on the Twins making him an offer anyway.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-rotation.html

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    MLBTR today throws cold water on the Twins making him an offer anyway.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...-rotation.html
    Yeah I remember reading that earlier today. I didn't think the Twins would go after him, but I remembered people saying how they thought the Twins need a 4th outfielder with speed. I didn't know who was left and saw Nyjer Morgan was trying to come back.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aaron Hicks.

Let me say it again, Aaron Hicks.

Honestly, he probably deserves his own thread at this point, but decided to address it here. A super talented athlete who has drawn comparisons to Torri Hunter since the day he was drafted. Not only for his tremendous athleticism, defense in CF, but also for his smaller town beginnings, raw ability, and a need to develop.

And develop he did/has done! The young man is only 24, the age when most prospects are at AA or sniffing AAA for the first time, maybe. Check out his milb numbers before you move on. It's only 5 seasons, one of them short, just out of high school.

Average, OB%, power and speed in the GCL. A bypass of Elizabethton straight to Beloit where he posts an OK .251/.353/.735. Not spectacular, but pretty good considering his age, the high rookie jump, and his relative "rawness".

He repeats Beloit the next season and has a triple slash improvement of: .279/.401/.829

2011 he is advanced to High-A Ft. Myers and produces .242/.354/.722

The Twins then sent him to AA the next season, 2012, where he exploded, showing his full potential for the first time with a slash of .286/.384/.844.

We all know how 2013 worked out. The trades of Span and Revere for pitching help and open competition for the starting CF spot that fell to Hicks based on a strong ST and a whole lot of hope.

It didn't work out the way the Twins, or any of us, hoped.

But he did have a great ST showing his ability. And despite a horribly slow start to his pro debut, he DID show improvement until he was injured. And despite less than hoped for re-hab numbers at AAA, Glynn himself has said recently that Hicks was their best player the last few weeks of the season.

So why has this super talented, young, former top 100 milb player suddenly been demoted to disappointment, or as I've read 4th OF, status?

If you take a logical step back for just a moment you will realize not only a rush to the majors, but also a rush to judgement. Hicks is still a top athletic talent with superior skills. He may not be as gifted as Buxton but so what! He still has the talent to be an excellent corner OF and fill in CF behind Buxton with power, speed, and OB%, even if he never becomes a "great" hitter. And who decides that after ONE defining season in the minors before being rushed to the majors?

For 2014, offensively speaking, we have to consider a healthy and productive Mauer and Willngham. (DH &/or OF) But other than the likes of Sano, Buxton or Rosario rising to the occasion, there may not be a position player who plays a more important part in the 2014 season than Aaron Hicks.

Consider, as I have stated often, his outstanding defense in CF with the solid Presley and the learning but athletic and talented Arcia in the corner OF positions with the improved SP staff. Then consider a young, rushed, talent still learning and improving, who might not light the world on fire his second year, but could still hit at the bottom of the order and give you 20/20 potential with 30+ doubles, some triples, and overall potential.

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    The Twins have plenty of OF options. I don't think they need Morgan.

As for Hicks, he has all the tools to be a well rounded MLB outfielder. He probably just needs a little more seasoning. It's way too early to write him off.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mods--rename or start an Aaron Hicks thread? In reply to DocBauer, I agree that Hicks is a potential 5-tool talent. However, he needs to improve dramatically with the bat to be a viable contender as a corner outfielder. Secondly, while Hicks made a few spectacular catches and was charged with no errors, he wasn't that good in center field last year. He did improve as the year went on, but his jumps and angles were mediocre especially at the start of the season. Hicks would profile to be a very good to elite defensive corner outfielder and he has a fine arm. The question would be whether he ever will hit enough to be a regular at either right or left field. I believe Buxton is the real deal in center and when he's ready, he's there as long as the Twins can keep him under contract. That would leave Hicks competing with more powerful (but less complete) players for the corner spots.

It may be in the best interests of both the player and the team for Hicks to recover his up-and-comer status and then be traded for value. If he develops as I expect, he could be a top-half center fielder and that would net more than Ben Revere or Denard Span.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 01-07-2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: punctuation

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm predicting Hicks is this years Brian Dozier, we do not need another mediocre to poor OF option. We have what we need to get by and we could bring up AAAA outfielders (we still have Wilkin Ramirez and Darin Mastroianni) as place holders if needed but hopefully we won't need that.

Arcia is the real thing folks, he's got right. Willingham has left until traded. The Plouffe/Parmalee/Hermann options are backing them up. We don't need Nyjer.

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Didn't he have an alter ego name? I can't think of it off the top of my head but I don't think a guy like that is a good fit for our clubhouse (or any clubhouse). We need to be trimming guys like this off of the 40 man and not adding them to it. Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    Didn't he have an alter ego name? I can't think of it off the top of my head but I don't think a guy like that is a good fit for our clubhouse (or any clubhouse). We need to be trimming guys like this off of the 40 man and not adding them to it. Pass.
    That would be Tony Plush, or T-Plush, which is mainly just a Twitter thing.. I think. Unfortunately his Twitter game is a whole lot better than his on-the-field game at this point...

https://twitter.com/TheRealTPlush/st...66997790998529
    Last edited by acrozelle; 01-07-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Mods--rename or start an Aaron Hicks thread?
    Say, how about that Terry Ryan, as well? Is he any good?

/ spoiler alert - yes, I agree, please take further discussion of Hicks's merits, as opposed to him as an alternative to signing Morgan, to a better thread than this