Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Eddie Rosario Suspended for 50 Games

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not to be nit picky here, but I'd be willing to bet just about everyone on this forum has at one time taken a prescription pain killer that was left over from a previous script long after the original condition had ended. I know I've done it, and I'd guess most of us have too. I just don't get too worked up about this, and this is the type of thing that I really wonder exactly what the purpose of MLB's policy is.

Either way, Eddie is going to miss 50 games due to this. That should be a good lesson to him.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sucks any way you look at it. Just wish we had better clarification. I've read where he took the same approved medication he took for his broken jaw, but for his elbow, but just didn't get medical clearance this time.

if so, a silly and stupid mistake and he'll be back on track June 1st and ready to go at AA, or a brief stop at FtMyers first, with AAA still in sight, and possible MLB in Sept. The suspension shouldn't hold him back much considering overall ability.

Now, if there is more to this, the a wakeup call s definitely in order!

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    Read the quotes in Phil Miller's Strib story and it sounds like, according to Ryan, that Rosario made some avoidable mistakes. So, we got a conundrum here: is it that an innocent ER was taking medicines to help with an aching jaw; or, is it, as TR suggests, that what we got on our hands is an irresponsible kid out of Puerto Rico who needs to be brought down a notch, kept an eye on and generally treated as a never do well.

Read into this what you will, but I am seeing two very different takes on this story, and I'm surprised, NO, shocked, that Twins Daily staff are not making more of what TR is saying to the press. He's making ER look like a kid out of control. Why would he do that? It certainly does not help his trade value.
    What am I missing? Here are the TR quotes that I see in Miller's blog post at the Strib:

"It's disappointing, but now he has to pay the consequences and be accountable," Twins general manager Terry Ryan said. "Losing 50 games, that's a huge setback. That's a lot of development time, a lot of learning that he'll miss. It sets back his progression [toward] going up to the big leagues. But young people make mistakes, and hopefully he learns from it."

How exactly do you interpret those statements as TR suggesting "that what we got on our hands is an irresponsible kid out of Puerto Rico who needs to be brought down a notch, kept an eye on and generally treated as a never do well."?

Ryan stated the obvious. Rosario screwed up and losing 50 games of development time just as he's getting close to sniffing his big league debut is a big deal. He hopes Rosario learns from the mistake. I certainly don't see any subtext there indicating Ryan thinks Rosario is an irresponsible never do well.

Did anyone think Ryan should brush it off as no big deal? What kind of message would that send to Rosario? "Oh hey, sure it's your 2nd time testing positive for this stuff, but don't worry about it, you'll be wearing a Twins uniform in no time."

Ryan made exactly the kind of statement I would expect and I feel is appropriate. It's balanced and neither is too dismissive, nor unjustly harsh.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Jim, there's also this TR quote, which seems more relevant:
    "We'll keep him under our eye, whether it's at spring camp or somewhere else," Ryan said. "That's a sizable part of the season, but that's the price you pay for not being responsible enough to understand right from wrong."

While TR does condemn Rosario's actions and indicates a kind of vigilance/probation period, I don't think TR vilifies Rosario as a never do well. Though, I doubt we'll see Rosario in a Twins uniform this year.

[QUOTE=Jim Crikket;189313]Here's the list of substances that constitute a "drug of abuse," under the program:

[LIST=1][*]Natural cannabinoids (e.g., THC, hashish and marijuana)[*]Synthetic THC and cannabimimetics (e.g., K2 and Spice)

Let's please not list synthetic "marijuana" anywhere near the natural version. Synthetics are unproven chemicals made buy unregulated who knows who and marijuana has been used safely by humans for thousands of years. Longer than beer or wine.

I agree with earlier post, kid had some left over pills and took them. Not smart considering what's at stake but doesn't seem like someone with an abuse problem.

P.S. If Mary Jane is not tested on the 40 man does that mean our Boys Of Summer might be free to imbibe?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think chances were slim that Rosario would be seen in a Twins uniform in 2014, anyway, but I agree that a 50 game suspension before he can even get on a minor league field reduces the slim chance to virtually none.

wabene, I didn't choose the grouping, that's the list as grouped in the MLB drug testing program document. Obviously, there are widely ranging drugs in the list. I imagine it must have been an interesting set of discussions in the negotiation process to arrive at what drug went on what list.

And yes, realistically, MLB players can light up pretty freely as long as they aren't stupid about it. Testing is for cause and consequences for failing a test may lead to mandatory treatment programs. Suspensions would only happen in the most extreme cases that seem like they'd be highly unlikely to ever occur. Maybe if a guy became such a stoner that he couldn't function or couldn't get through an inning on the bench without a bag of Doritos. Pretty safe to assume, I think, that a guy would be long gone from the league for performance reasons before he'd ever get deep enough in to the disciplinary process that would potentially result in a suspension for pot.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    One of my favorite things about baseball is the chance for redemption.

When Miguel Cabrera screwed up the final weekend in 2009 and then had the infamous drunken on the highway incident right before spring training in 2011, I was glad he wasn't a Twin .... but he has redeemed himself both on the field and seemingly off the field (at least no more big reported incidents).

It's easy to forget how young these kids are. When I think back to some of the things I was stupid enough to do in my early 20's, I think, "there but for the grace of God, go I...."

I hope that Rosario learns a lesson from this and becomes one of the great redemption stories.

8. These 3 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (01-05-2014), Thrylos (01-05-2014), Tibs (01-05-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What will Rosario do and where will he be during the suspension? Is he allowed to be around the team?
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    What will Rosario do and where will he be during the suspension? Is he allowed to be around the team?
    He is not allowed to play in official games. He will go to Spring Training normally (this would likely be by the first week of March with all players not on the 40-man roster who did not receive an invitation to the MLB club; he might still receive an invitation, which means he would report on 2/22, but I doubt it.)

Once ST breaks and teams go to their respective locations, he will stay for extended ST with several players who will be playing in Elizabethton and the GCL Twins this season. He will play games with them against the Red Sox and Orioles EST squads and scrimmage with them and also practice.

50 games will be done by the end of May, and at that point he will join his club, whatever that might be.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whatever. Lots of kids do stuff when they are in their early 20's. He learns from it, or he doesn't. Its all part of the learning process.

I am most concerned about his production in Arizona and Winterball. His offseason line:
    .201 / .255 / .293
    Not good for a top prospect who played at 70 games at AA last year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Whatever. Lots of kids do stuff when they are in their early 20's. He learns from it, or he doesn't. Its all part of the learning process.

I am most concerned about his production in Arizona and Winterball. His offseason line:
    .201 / .255 / .293
    Not good for a top prospect who played at 70 games at AA last year.

He has hit at every level including in the WC last year. I don't think AZ should be a huge concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Penz View Post
    He has hit at every level including in the WC last year. I don't think AZ should be a huge concern.
    Fielding and finding him a position to play him at should be. He has been moved around from 2B- CF and DH interchangeably. Need to give him 1 spot and focus on that and worry about his future projectability if he ever gets close to the Majors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12