Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Eddie Rosario Suspended for 50 Games

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts

Rosario gets 50 game suspension

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 44s 2B Eddie Rosario of #Twins becomes latest minor leaguer to test positive for recreational drug use and gets 100 games

Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 8m Eddie Rosario receives 50-game suspension for "second positive test for drug of abuse," MLB announces. #mntwins
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 01-04-2014 at 01:23 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just 50 games in reality though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 216 Times in 137 Posts
    Why 100? I thought the first positive test was 50?

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Man, isn't that the second on the list...so he has 50 for taking pills due to an injury, announced in November, and this for recreational usage...so won't it be for 150?
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Nightengale had it wrong evidently. 50 game suspension.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries

Article: Eddie Rosario Suspended for 50 Games

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could not have said any of this better, excellent analysis.

How does the suspension affect his November 40-man status? Does this actually give us extra time?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had that story here when it broke, based on Rosario quotes in detail, even what he tested positive for on the title.

And it was not marijuana or anything like that, so even those allegations (like the PED allegations) are wrong and unfair.

It was prescription painkillers that he took before (with a prescription) per doctors' instructions for his broken jaw in Beloit. This time he took them without a prescription and without doctors' advise for pain in his elbow. Read it any way you want to, but it is different that buying coke, pot or crack at a street corner. He did not. I think that he learned a lesson to talk to team doctors for stuff like that.

Also, this suspension might be a blessing in disguise because it will allow him to stay at EST at Fort Myers and work on his fielding at second base. His hitting timing might need some work but I do not see him spend any serious time at high A+. Likely goes to New Britain right away and potentially to Rochester after the draft. 50 days has him starting ball end of May. Not that long.

Today the Twins signed his temporary replacement utility player Corey Wimberly who will likely go to New Britain.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deanlambrecht View Post
    How does the suspension affect his November 40-man status? Does this actually give us extra time?
    No. He still needs to be added next offseason.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Man, isn't that the second on the list...so he has 50 for taking pills due to an injury, announced in November, and this for recreational usage...so won't it be for 150?
    No, this is the officializing (if that were a word) of the report that came out in November. It was never official then. It was just reported in that Venezuelan newspaper.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I had that story here when it broke, based on Rosario quotes in detail, even what he tested positive for on the title.

And it was not marijuana or anything like that, so even those allegations (like the PED allegations) are wrong and unfair.

It was prescription painkillers that he took before (with a prescription) per doctors' instructions for his broken jaw in Beloit. This time he took them without a prescription and without doctors' advise for pain in his elbow. Read it any way you want to, but it is different that buying coke, pot or crack at a street corner. He did not. I think that he learned a lesson to talk to team doctors for stuff like that.
    Here's the list of substances that constitute a "drug of abuse," under the program:

1. Natural cannabinoids (e.g., THC, hashish and marijuana)
    2. Synthetic THC and cannabimimetics (e.g., K2 and Spice)
    3. Cocaine
    4. LSD
    5. Opiates (e.g., oxycodone, heroin, codeine, and morphine)
    6. MDMA (Ecstasy)
    7. GHB
    8. Phencyclidine (PCP)

While we might understandably assume that the vast majority of 19-22 year old minor leaguers who fail a test for "drug of abuse" did so by testing positive for pot, the inclusion of a drug such as codeine could give credence to Rosario's initial claim that this was related to some sort of drug he took for elbow pain.

On the other hand, this is his second failed test (no suspension for the first, 50 games for the 2nd, 100 for the 3rd), so I'm not sure you can completely trust what he originally claimed, either.

Either way, whether it was pot, codeine or many of the other substances on that list, the only concern would be if he makes additional poor decisions and it ends up stunting his development and/or affecting potential trade value.

Regardless of how you feel about whether some of the listed substances should be on the list, the players who have chosen to pursue a career in professional baseball in the US know the rules going in. Making one mistake is not a concern. Making a second mistake is a red flag for judgment. Making a third would be cause for legitimate concern.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    At least it's not a performance enhancer - his numbers are legit.

Liked 3,142 Times in 1,344 Posts
    The particulars aren't terribly important, IMO.

I think the bigger lesson here is, once again, a reminder that penciling in minor leaguers as big league regulars at some point in the future is a risky way to build an MLB team. Not to say this is devastating for Rosario, or that he can't recover. Just further proof it is a long road between success in A ball and delivering winning performance levels in the show, and there are many and varied potholes to avoid on the way.

Its one more reminder of why I believe you build winning MLB teams by first getting your hands on as much proven big league talent as possible, and then making space when a minor leaguer forces the issue, rather than keeping space open at the big league level in anticipation of needing it somewhere down the road.

You can always deal with the "problem" of having too many good players.

16. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-04-2014), snepp (01-04-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Here's kind of a tough question: Which is better/worse? Getting busted for PEDs or Drugs of Abuse? (obviously neither is good)

Consider:

1.) PEDs - In theory, a minor league taking a PED is trying to get better.

2.) Drug of Abuse - these are definitely not some attempt to get better.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What it does mean is that if Polanco tears it up in Fort Myers, he could move ahead of Rosario on the orgainizational chart.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is an interesting article from BA on the top. What is interesting, is that they say that Rosario is the number 6 prospect in the Twins' organization. They have not released their rankings yet (coming in a couple weeks or so) but it looks like he went up one spot from the 2013 rankings (that can be found here.) With 3 graduates ahead of him from the 2013 rankings and likely Stewart and Pinto ahead of him, might be easy to guess the BA top ten a couple weeks before they are released...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Here's kind of a tough question: Which is better/worse? Getting busted for PEDs or Drugs of Abuse? (obviously neither is good)

Consider:

1.) PEDs - In theory, a minor league taking a PED is trying to get better.

2.) Drug of Abuse - these are definitely not some attempt to get better.
    I think him being caught with PEDs would be worse. It would make me question how much that affected his production and how good he actually is as a prospect.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries

Terry Ryan weighs in

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Here's the list of substances that constitute a "drug of abuse," under the program:

1. Natural cannabinoids (e.g., THC, hashish and marijuana)
    2. Synthetic THC and cannabimimetics (e.g., K2 and Spice)
    3. Cocaine
    4. LSD
    5. Opiates (e.g., oxycodone, heroin, codeine, and morphine)
    6. MDMA (Ecstasy)
    7. GHB
    8. Phencyclidine (PCP)

While we might understandably assume that the vast majority of 19-22 year old minor leaguers who fail a test for "drug of abuse" did so by testing positive for pot, the inclusion of a drug such as codeine could give credence to Rosario's initial claim that this was related to some sort of drug he took for elbow pain.

On the other hand, this is his second failed test (no suspension for the first, 50 games for the 2nd, 100 for the 3rd), so I'm not sure you can completely trust what he originally claimed, either.

Either way, whether it was pot, codeine or many of the other substances on that list, the only concern would be if he makes additional poor decisions and it ends up stunting his development and/or affecting potential trade value.

Regardless of how you feel about whether some of the listed substances should be on the list, the players who have chosen to pursue a career in professional baseball in the US know the rules going in. Making one mistake is not a concern. Making a second mistake is a red flag for judgment. Making a third would be cause for legitimate concern.
    Read the quotes in Phil Miller's Strib story and it sounds like, according to Ryan, that Rosario made some avoidable mistakes. So, we got a conundrum here: is it that an innocent ER was taking medicines to help with an aching jaw; or, is it, as TR suggests, that what we got on our hands is an irresponsible kid out of Puerto Rico who needs to be brought down a notch, kept an eye on and generally treated as a never do well.

Read into this what you will, but I am seeing two very different takes on this story, and I'm surprised, NO, shocked, that Twins Daily staff are not making more of what TR is saying to the press. He's making ER look like a kid out of control. Why would he do that? It certainly does not help his trade value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast