Thread: Minor League Spring Training

Minor League Spring Training

Does anyone know when the Minor League players are required to report for spring training and when the daily exhibition games start?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has not been announced yet, but it is usually about a week after the major league players. First practice for the MLB Twins ST is 2/22 this season. So by the end of February I think. By the second week of March games are happening. Before that you will see practices and internal scrimmages.

Big catch this season: There is a chance that the new MiLB locker room building might not be ready and has been word that they might move some stuff to the City of Palms facility that is empty and has 2 instead of 3 fields, but both are nicer than what they have right now. It will be a huge PITA to follow for MLB and MiLB if it happens, because CoP is kinda far from the Twins complex.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

All 40-man roster guys and spring training invitees arrive by Feb. 22 (many before). The minor league guys usually come on the day due, a good week later, as they need a palce to stay and early lodging and monies are not necessarily available.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tellis205 View Post
    Does anyone know when the Minor League players are required to report for spring training and when the daily exhibition games start?
    March 4 they report and generally they'll star exhibition games something like 4-5 days later.

Thank you. I've never been to City of Palms. Do you think we can get as close over there as we do at Lee County?

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 781 Times in 490 Posts
    Would they be at CoP Park, or at the training center? Because where the Red Sox used to train isn't the same as where they played games. Their training center is about 2 miles or so from the park.
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Would they be at CoP Park, or at the training center? Because where the Red Sox used to train isn't the same as where they played games. Their training center is about 2 miles or so from the park.
    True. And not sure what the answer is yet, but I was told City of Palms, which it the (now empty) ballpark area. I hope they get it together and it stays where it is. To give you a perspective. In the following map, A is Lee County Sports Complex/Hammond Stadium (where the Twins train now), B is the old Red Sox Player Development Center (where their minor leaguers were when at the City of Palms) and C is the City of Palms. A to B is 10 long and busy miles...

-----

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I heard, too, that the Twins would be using the former Red Sox minor league facility (the Player Development Center) for at least their rookie-level players. I was actually thinking I had heard they used it some already last year, but I didn't go down to ST in 2013, so I may be "misremembering" that.

My recollection of the PDC from prior years is that it was pretty nice and certainly seemed to be on par with or possibly nicer than the Twins' minor league training area. In their own facility, they've had just three full fields and one "infield" that has had to be shared by all six levels of minor leaguers. Even considering that they don't limit each level to 25 players during ST, that's still a packed facility and with all that room sitting empty across town, I can see them putting it to use until they get their own expanded facility completed.

That said, yeah... it's a PITA to get back and forth between the two facilities.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    That said, yeah... it's a PITA to get back and forth between the two facilities.
    That's my major concern as well. On Twins game days there is plenty of time to catch minor league action in the morning before the game starts. With that arrangement it will be harder. On the other hand, if someone stays closer to downtown Fort Myers, it is conceivable to get by the PDC and stay for a couple of hours before head down to Hammond Stadium...
    -----

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    I would doubt they'd to to City of Palms. That's got to be pretty run down now. More likely to B, which is where the Red Sox practiced before they got Jet Blue. B is to the left on Anderson Ave, and down a bit on left side, not to the right as shown on the map. The Twins fantasy camp which starts saturday is at Jet Blue, with the gates locking us out.

My groundskeeper buddy that told me about the minor league possible move on monday has the rest of the week off, but maybe I can get info from someone else. I see Bill Smith around, and he should know/

B is the right spot. These old eyes couldn't read the street names, but I see the line goes down Plantation instead of 6 Mile, so the map is very accurate. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Halsey Hall; 01-07-2014 at 05:46 PM.

To add to the mix of confusion I believe the players will be changing hotels from the Hilton Garden Inn off College Parkway to the Sheraton off Daniels and Treeline.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but what's really important is what bar/restaurant will everyone be going to after the day is over?
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

13. This user likes Jim Crikket's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-04-2014)

The lockers are being installed in the locker room now so that's a good sign! There's been alot of work done in the last week and things are starting to shape up in some areas. It's interesting to see. The agility field that's going in right behind the half field and batting cages has a big hill on it, sloped down. I'll bet that hill wears some guys out.

Yesterday I went over to the Twins fantasy camp, where the minor leaguers would have spring training if it's not ready here. It's only about a 10 minute drive. That's a good facility and would work fine, but let's hope it's not needed.

Super Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 781 Times in 490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    The lockers are being installed in the locker room now so that's a good sign! There's been alot of work done in the last week and things are starting to shape up in some areas. It's interesting to see. The agility field that's going in right behind the half field and batting cages has a big hill on it, sloped down. I'll bet that hill wears some guys out.

Yesterday I went over to the Twins fantasy camp, where the minor leaguers would have spring training if it's not ready here. It's only about a 10 minute drive. That's a good facility and would work fine, but let's hope it's not needed.
    It won't be only 10 minutes in March. Guarantee that. But if you head up there again, try out the Farmer's Market restaurant ... southern cookin' at its best. Huge portions, inexpensive.
    "Peace, love, dope! Now get the hell out!"
    Resistance is Sisyphusian!

That's true when traffic really gets bad. To many times at a red light where the green has to cycle twice to get thru. I'll have to look for the restaurant, sounds good!