Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Pedro Florimon

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    He qualified his statement as "best of his lifetime". I still find his choice interesting, as the obvious second place shortstop is Juan Castro.
    Wow, Castro? He had good hands but bad range by the time he was a Twin.

I think Castro's defense was overrated to justify his bad offense and as an excuse to keep Bartlett in the minors.

2. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (02-18-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boom Boom's snark meter must need adjusting.

4. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (01-21-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mike Berardino had a brief article on Pedro Florimon yesterday in the Pioneer Press. The lead focuses on the expected birth of his daughter. The last few lines are what caught my attention:

"I think I'm going to have a better season," Florimon said. "This season is important for me. I have to help this team."

Overall this winter, Florimon hit .242 with 20 strikeouts and six runs batted in across 70 at-bats.

Some reports have connected the Twins with free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew, and Florimon said he had received no assurances this winter he would be the Opening Day shortstop.
    "Last year, they told me that," Florimon said of the Twins. "This time, I don't know."

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...her?source=pkg

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    He qualified his statement as "best of his lifetime". I still find his choice interesting, as the obvious second place shortstop is Juan Castro.
    I'm insulted by this slight toward Jeff Reboulet.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm insulted by this slight toward Jeff Reboulet.
    Reboulet didn't have that je ne sais quoi that I look for in my no-hit latin shortstops that once had a decent glove but have aged and no longer belong within 50 yards of a major league roster.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Florimon talked today about how he's ready to compete for his job again. Said he spent the off-season working on his swing and his approach. He's much longer than I expected. I think he'll be better/more consistent this year than he was in 2013.
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 01-25-2014 at 08:50 AM.

9. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (01-22-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Brian,

This is way off the beaten track but, this has been on my mind for a year or two and I feel like doing some mental housekeeping.

I forget the exact context, but a long time ago I made reference to the phrase "diamonds to ducks" in a response to you. You then asked me for the origin of the phrase. I consider it bad form to not answer an honest question. I fully intended to answer you but was busy at the time and didn't take the time to write. Since then this transgression has popped in and out of my consciousness, though always at inopportune times. Now's a good time. Here's your answer:

There is a series of novels, (numbering well over 100), called the Destroyer series. The premise is an employee for a secret government agency, named Remo, who is not very bright but is well intentioned and is the baddest dude around. His trainer/mentor in Sinanju ("the sun source of all the martial arts") and life is an ancient Korean named Chiun. (Who is really the baddest dude around.) To me, the funnest parts of the books are the anecdotes illustrating the relationship between the two. Trainer/student father/son antagonist/antagonized antagonized/antagonist The phrase comes from Chiun in one of their conversations about how him giving Remo bits of wisdom is akin to giving diamonds to ducks. Another time he used pearls to squirrels. FYI A movie was made in the 80's called "Remo Williams: The Beginning" It's not very good and is only slightly representative of the books. An interesting tidbit about the books, that always amazed me, is the fact that the relationship between the two authors became strained. They lived on opposite coasts. Their method was one would write a chapter and mail the results to the other who then reciprocate.

11. This user likes Paul's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (01-26-2014)

To be honest, I skimmed the majority of the prior 13 pages. My opinion is way too biased to contribute anything significant, but seeing his name in the thread title made me feel obligated.

Since seeing him play for los Leones in SD I've kept a close eye on the kid. Yes, he needs some work at the plate, and yes he has made the occasional error that makes you go . But his fielding… I can't even describe it without sounding like I'm trying to write really sh¡tty poetry. His transitions, his dives… I would throw a new born baby to him. I would make a … that's beside the point.

Torpedro has a lot of talent with room to improve. I hope we keep him around for a long time.
    Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.

13. These 3 users like eLee612's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (01-27-2014), luckylager (02-18-2014), Reider (01-26-2014)

Snark or no snark, I refuse to acknowledge that the ex-Cuban dictators ever made up the left side of the Twins infield.

15. These 2 users like ALessKosherScott's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brock Beauchamp (02-18-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (01-27-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    He's much longer than I expected.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the pending retirement of Derek Jeter after the 2014 season the Yankees appear to be happy with the possibilty of Brendan Ryan being their backup plan for the Yankee's captain in 2014 as well as the STARTER in 2015, despite Stephen Drew being available. Brendan Ryan being a far inferior hitter to Pedro Florimon and by SABR standards, an inferior fielder.

ESPN - Source: Yanks still not interested in Drew
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 02-16-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    I want to see what Florimon learned last season, which was his first full season in the majors. I liked want I saw in the field, and occasionally at the plate.

Just modest across the board improvement, fewer errors and strikeouts, more hits and walks, makes him a pretty decent old-school MLB shortstop.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 377 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Congrats to Florimon on the first of his child.

20. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

eLee612 (02-16-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (02-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I am both extremely happy for him and slightly depressed. My biggest Twins crush!
    Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    On the birth of his first child too

(Daughter) Elodie Casey Florimon. She was born in the Twins Cities February 1st
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    With the pending retirement of Derek Jeter after the 2014 season the Yankees appear to be happy with the possibilty of Brendan Ryan being their backup plan for the Yankee's captain in 2014 as well as the STARTER in 2015, despite Stephen Drew being available. Brendan Ryan being a far inferior hitter to Pedro Florimon and by SABR standards, an inferior fielder.

ESPN - Source: Yanks still not interested in Drew
    I am pretty sure this is just posturing. They are a year away from that decision, and Ryan is on the roster, what are they supposed to say? "No, we don't think our guy can start. We need to sign or trade for someone else within 12 months." Not a good negotiating strategy...

It does highlight one of the pitfalls of taking one more look at Florimon: there will always be other teams looking to sign or trade for shortstops (or extending their own). In any given year, especially a year when the Yankees are looking for that position, we may not even have the opportunity to get someone.

So even if Drew isn't perfect, and/or signing him isn't an urgent priority for 2014, he could at least mitigate the possibility of getting shut out next offseason, or the following one. (Although I understand most anti-Drew folks are also pro-Florimon, and think Pedro could mitigate that possibility too.)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    According to Sabermetrics, Florimon is in the discussion for the #2 defensive SS in baseball. Simmons is nearly better than the next 4 guys combined.

Gold Glove winners in BOLD. 2nd Tier Shortstops are in blue, only 2nd tier because Simmons creates his own tier, otherwise they're be 1st tier or '1st Division'.

That said, for $500k, I like Florimon. I think he can improve too.

Also, he likely would have finished higher in this if he had played more games, he only started 127 games. Tulowitzski also only played 126 games. Komza had 143 and Escobar had 158.

Player Team SDI
    Andrelton Simmons ATL 29.3
    Pete Kozma STL 8.7
    Troy Tulowitzki COL 8.5
    Alcides Escobar KC 8.1
    Pedro Florimon MIN 7.6
    Yunel Escobar TB 6.2
    Elvis Andrus TEX 5.3
    Jean Segura MIL 3.7
    Zack Cozart CIN 3.6
    Jhonny Peralta DET 2.7
    Brandon Crawford SF 2.6
    J.J. Hardy BAL 1.6
    Alexei Ramirez CHW 0.4
    Stephen Drew BOS -0.8
    Everth Cabrera SD -2
    Ian Desmond WSH -2.5
    Adeiny Hechavarria MIA -2.8
    Starlin Castro CHC -5.2
    Jimmy Rollins PHI -6.1
    Asdrubal Cabrera CLE -7.6
    Erick Aybar LAA -7.9
    Jed Lowrie OAK -11.4

For all results, please go to: http://sabr.org/latest/sabr-defensiv...x-2013-results

That chart seems right to me. He has the best range at the position I've seen around here since Gagne. Guzman showed flashes of it early in his career, but he had energy issues or something.

As to his improving, he did improve greatly on the unforced errors as the season went along. They were prevalent early, and much less common late. So it is not out of the question that he could fight for #2 this year.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by eLee612 View Post
    Torpedro has a lot of talent with room to improve. I hope we keep him around for a long time.
    Those are my exact sentiments from watching him play. I know the analysis of his past performance metrics coupled with his age "indicate" that he is very unlikely to improve significantly. However, watching him play, off and on since 2010 in Bowie, I see a slower development pace with this talented SS than with most players. His current defense makes him an adequate everyday #9 hitting SS now, while I believe that Florimon has additional defensive savvy/merit in his future, as well as modest+ gains to be had in power and approach.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meister View Post
    Those are my exact sentiments from watching him play. I know the analysis of his past performance metrics coupled with his age "indicate" that he is very unlikely to improve significantly. However, watching him play, off and on since 2010 in Bowie, I see a slower development pace with this talented SS than with most players. His current defense makes him an adequate everyday #9 hitting SS now, while I believe that Florimon has additional defensive savvy/merit in his future, as well as modest+ gains to be had in power and approach.
    If he's poised to improve (even modestly), I'd like to know why he posted a .636 OPS in the first half of 2013 and a .576 OPS in the second half of the season. The numbers tell us that he is not learning and that he is not getting better at the plate.

Sure, he's a good defender. I don't see anyone arguing that... But to expect him to improve offensively seems more and more like wishing upon a star, crossing your fingers, and avoiding walking under ladders than it does legitimate, fact-based analysis.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    I suppose the legitimate, fact-based analysis is that the manager has implied he's the starting SS, and the manager's vote is the one that counts.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast