Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scott Diamond

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 472 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries

Qualifying..

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Diamond (for next 2gms only) now has enough innings to qualify for ERA title & is 6th with 2.88 ERA AND is 2nd in MLB with groundball to flyball ratio with 1.38 (to Derek Lowe and 1 of only 2 with ERAs under 3 with David Price).....how can that be can--- he doesnt throw a sinker like Nick Blackburn...who's only year over 1.0 was last yr!!! Also now 7th in K/bb ratio with 3.73 per.
    He is our ace!!!!
    Diamond will pop in and out of the ERA qualifiers for a few weeks, but barring injury and/or (Blackburn-like) ineffectiveness, he should easily qualify. The Twins have two hitters short of qualifying--Plouffe and Revere. Plouffe actually just qualified when he got hurt, but now missing fourteen ballgames, it will take a long time with full-time duty to get to 502 plate appearances. Revere is short of qualifying by about 20 PAs, but should get there in about two weeks.

Minnesota 11 vs Cleveland 0 - July 27, 2012

Great to get back from holidays and watch the Minnesota/Cleveland game!!
    Apparently the Kansas City game was a good one to miss, but baseball sometimes works out that way.

But tonight was a good game NOT to miss; especially if you're watching Scott Diamond!

Complete game! Shutout! 3 hitter! 6 strikeouts! 0 walks! 98 pitches! 67 strikes!

I know that's abuse of exclamation marks, but you get the point. And his ERA returns below 3 (2.88) where it belongs. If you combine Scott's outing with some excellent defense (especially the middle infield) and a generous supply of offense (11 runs); it's a recipe for a wonderful team win.

Is it my imagination or are Bert and Dick becoming big Scott Diamond fans! Lol

Twins 2, White Sox 3 - Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Excellent outing!!! Rotten result!!!

Scott was looking to carry his wonderful performance last Friday
    into today's start against the division leading White Sox and their
    ace, 2007 Cy Young winner Jake Peavy.

Scott pitched another great game going 7.1 innings, allowing 3
    earned runs on 8 hits; striking out 3 and walking none. It was
    another quality start and should have been good enough for his 10th
    win. But Peavy pitched just as well, and held the Twins to 2 runs;
    so the well deserved win, turned into a hard-fought loss.

As usual, Scott pounded the strike zone and usually pitched ahead in
    the count. Uncharacteristically he provided a number of rather good
    looking 0-2 pitches, something he'll certainly learn from.

He left the game following a come-backer that hit sharply off the
    inside of his right (landing) leg. There appears to be nothing to
    prevent his next start in Cleveland.

Twins 14, Cleveland 3 August 6, 2012

Scott Diamond is a 10!!

Almost overlooked in the jubilation over Justin Morneau's 200th homerun on Monday evening, was the very tidy 10th win of the season by Scott Diamond; an event that the Twins haven't celebrated in almost 2 years. It wasn't a PERFECT 10th win, but it WAS very nice.

It started out a bit on the rocky side, as Scott worked through an ugly error and two base hits in the first inning, to limit the Indians to a single unearned run. The Twins offense delivered 10 runs in the top of the second and the rest of the game was quite relaxing for the Twins fans ... other than for celebrating Morneau's previously mentioned 200th homerun.

Scott's line shows 7.0 innings with 2 Earned Runs, 7 hits and 1 walk. His line doesn't show 3 double plays behind him, which helped to keep the game quite relaxing for the Twins.

His ERA (2.91) is 6th in the American League and his Quality Start %age (71) is also 6th in the AL.

Congratulations Scott on a excellent season thus far.

Twins 3 vs The Rays 7 - August 12, 2012

With each of the first batters in each of the first 2 inning hitting
    home runs; it looked to be a very long day for Scott Diamond. But a
    Justin Morneau homerun tied the game and Scott found his game.

He went 7 innings leaving with the game tied. Another quality start.
    His line showed 3 earned runs, 8 hits, 6 strikeouts and an uncharacteristically high 2 walks.
    67% of his 95 pitches were strikes; and with 1 or 2 Twins hits with
    runners in scoring position (5th, 6th and 7th innings) Scott might have
    left with a lead.

Also notable was Scott showed a flashy glove, catching line drive off Ben Zobrist in the
    4th; and a frightening disregard for his pitching hand in deflecting
    ground ball off that same Ben Zobrist in the first. Perhaps we can just
    plan to walk Zobrist in the future.

A great piching battle between Diamond and Shields today but would have been nice to have seen a different ending in the 10th.

August 19, 2012 Twins vs. Mariners

It was billed as a pitching duel matching Scott Diamond against the Mariners left hander Jeff Vargas. And through 6 innings the game was everything anticipated.

I happen to think that Scott out pitched Vargas; but then this is a Scott Diamond blog, and I am very impressed with Scott Diamond and his ability to pitch.

Anyway, Scott looked great through 6, despite the fact that the home plate ump seemed confused by the outside part of the plate, while Scott was pitching, and the first base ump seemed seemed, to me at least, to call a very close call against the Twins.

The 7th inning was another thing altogether.

First, the Twins load the bases with 1 out; chase Vargas; bring the heart of the batting order to the plate; ... and get 1 measly run on a near-double-play ground ball by Mauer. Then Scott leaves the 10th pitch to Justin Smoak a bit too high and the score is tied. Perhaps a result of fatigue, and perhaps a result of frustration (see previous comment concerning the outside part of the plate), this leads to a 30 pitch 7th inning and Scott's departure after 6 2/3.

His line is quite nice for the game: Another qualitly start, 6 2/3 innings, 2 Earned Runs,
    0 walks, 2 Strikeouts, 100 Pitches and 64 strikes. His ERA drops slightly to 2.95.
    Last edited by sweetluis; 08-19-2012 at 07:20 PM.

August 23, 2012 Twins vs. Rangers

Another first!! Scott is ejected!!

I am able to post this early as Scott is out of the game.

In case you missed all the action Oswalt threw at Mauer, hitting his back just below the neck in the top of the third inning, on a 3 - 0 pitch. Why Oswalt did this is beyond understanding. Why hit the team all star? All the announcers for the game said it was on purpose as Oswalt is just too good of a pitcher to miss so badly.

Home plate umpire issues no warnings and Mauer goes to 1st.

Scott Diamond comes up in the botton of the 3rd, retires Elvis Andrus and here comes Josh Hamilton. Scott's first pitch comes at head level behind Hamilton's head and Scott was immediately ejected by home plate umpire, Wally Bell.

Gardenhire comes out of the dugout and you knew his evening was going to be spent with Scott watching the game in the clubhouse. And sure enough Gardenhire is ejected.

Interesting enough Wally Bell calls Ron Washington out of the dugout before the next pitch to Hamilton and issues a warning to the Rangers. The irritating thing it the man who caused it all, Oswalt, it still pitching the game.

Scott's ejection was the first of his career, and I am glad he stood up for his team and Joe.

This is all part of baseball, but somehow to eject Scott who did not hit anyone, and not Oswalt who hit Joe just seems wrong to me. Wally Bell knows the game too. He has been around a long time. This might turn out to a interesting series in Texas.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two things that bug me about this, maybe Diamond got a little excited and threw it high by accident, but he does need to get that ball down. And second, nothing more embarrassing than trying to hit someone and missing.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetluis View Post
    August 23, 2012 Twins vs. Rangers

Another first!! Scott is ejected!!

I am able to post this early as Scott is out of the game.

In case you missed all the action Oswalt threw at Mauer, hitting his back just below the neck in the top of the third inning, on a 3 - 0 pitch. Why Oswalt did this is beyond understanding. Why hit the team all star? All the announcers for the game said it was on purpose as Oswalt is just too good of a pitcher to miss so badly.

Home plate umpire issues no warnings and Mauer goes to 1st.

Scott Diamond comes up in the botton of the 3rd, retires Elvis Andrus and here comes Josh Hamilton. Scott's first pitch comes at head level behind Hamilton's head and Scott was immediately ejected by home plate umpire, Wally Bell.

Gardenhire comes out of the dugout and you knew his evening was going to be spent with Scott watching the game in the clubhouse. And sure enough Gardenhire is ejected.

Interesting enough Wally Bell calls Ron Washington out of the dugout before the next pitch to Hamilton and issues a warning to the Rangers. The irritating thing it the man who caused it all, Oswalt, it still pitching the game.

Scott's ejection was the first of his career, and I am glad he stood up for his team and Joe.

This is all part of baseball, but somehow to eject Scott who did not hit anyone, and not Oswalt who hit Joe just seems wrong to me. Wally Bell knows the game too. He has been around a long time. This might turn out to a interesting series in Texas.
    My guess is that Bell didn't give any warnings after Oswalt's pitch to allow the Twins a chance for payback. If Diamond had hit Hamilton in the back or leg, then warnings would have been given to both sides - after they were even. But a pitch near the head is automatic ejection - no choice, and then you have to warn both benches to prevent it getting completely out of control.

Scott Diamond is my new favorite player! Give `em hell, Scott!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BTW I would like to add that I wanna punch Roy Oswalt in the face. I was gonna add an angry emoticon but that might give the elusion that I am kidding
    Last edited by righty8383; 08-23-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Scott has been handed a 6 game suspension by MLB and a undisclosed fine. Announced just prior to the game tonight.
    Wow this is excessive in my humble opinion. The news feed said Scott plans to appeal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123