Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins to Place 8 Prospects on Baseball Prospectus top 101

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts

Twins to Place 8 Prospects on Baseball Prospectus top 101

While Baseball Prospectus top 101 prospect list hasn't been released yet, should be today or tomorrow, Jason Parks tweeted the following:

Looks like the #Twins will place eight prospects on the BP 101; #Cubs, #Royals, #Pirates, and #Rangers with seven;#Red Sox with six.

I'm a massive Twins prospect follower but eight in the top101 seems a bit much even for me. Who makes? Who doesn't?
    Last edited by Nick Nelson; 01-07-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Baseball Prospectus, not Prospectives

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    No doubters
    Buxton
    Sano
    Meyer
    Stewart
    Rosario

Best bets although I think they need another season
    Thorpe - a lot of hype fueling this train this offseason
    Polanco - I could see him getting some recognition
    Berrios - Had a solid enough season if someone really liked him before this year

I just looked at the BP top ten Twins list and Parks really like Pinto (#5 ahead of Rosario) and he also really likes Felix Jorge (#9) rounding out the top ten.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, even I think that 8 is probably too much. Pinto would seem to be a given (with our obvious top 5)... after that... who knows? Could be Thorpe, Polanco, Berrios, Jorge... others.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say Pinto, Thorpe and Polanco, to go along with the others.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 748 Times in 464 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My guesses:

Buxton
    Sano
    Meyer
    Stewart
    Rosario
    Pinto
    Thorpe
    Polanco

HM: Berrios

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I bet Berrios, Polanco, and Pinto.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would guess:
    Buxton
    Meyer
    Sano
    Roserio
    Stewart
    Pinto
    Berrios
    Walker, Adam
    But 8 seems like a lot...

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not much of a guess. Parks listed his Twins' top 10 prospects as:

CF Byron Buxton
    3B Miguel Sano
    RHP Alex Meyer
    RHP Kohl Stewart
    C Josmil Pinto
    RHP Jose Berrios
    2B/CF Eddie Rosario
    LHP Lewis Thorpe
    ------------------------
    RHP Felix Jorge
    2B Jorge Polanco

on this 11/18 piece. So, unless he changed his mind, we kinda know who his top 8 Twins' prospects are...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Not much of a guess. Parks listed his Twins' top 10 prospects as:

CF Byron Buxton
    3B Miguel Sano
    RHP Alex Meyer
    RHP Kohl Stewart
    C Josmil Pinto
    RHP Jose Berrios
    2B/CF Eddie Rosario
    LHP Lewis Thorpe
    ------------------------
    RHP Felix Jorge
    2B Jorge Polanco

on this 11/18 piece. So, unless he changed his mind, we kinda know who his top 8 Twins' prospects are...
    While I agree with you that this is the most likely top 8, one thing to note, this isn't only Pask's list. Multiple staff members at BP, just like with Baseball America, put together the final list.

If it was my choice that would be my top 8 but I still don't believe all 8 are top 101 prospects. Nice to see some Twins love though.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    I wouldn't be shocked if they don't have 8 on next year as well. Sano/Pinto are almost cinches to "graduate". I guess Buxton/Rosario and Meyer could as well though I think they are a bit of long shots too (esp Rosario and Meyer)

Whoever the Twins pick in the first round this year will be on the list automatically, and I think someone from the Kepler, Jorge, Polanco, May,Gimartin? Group can make it on as well.

Blog Entries
    I am not sure why there is surprise that 8 of these guys could make the top 101. Have you not been paying attention to how good these players are?

12. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (12-30-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I am not sure why there is surprise that 8 of these guys could make the top 101. Have you not been paying attention to how good these players are?
    I have been paying attention, a lot of us have, but the question is have you been paying attention to the other 29 team's prospects? While there are some teams with some horrid systems, most have at least a handful. I just doubt we will see any other top 100s with 8 Twins on it.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    If it was my choice that would be my top 8 but I still don't believe all 8 are top 101 prospects. Nice to see some Twins love though.
    The Twins system is really really deep. Does not surprise me that they have 8 prospects in the top 101. Simple math says that the average team should have 101/30 = 3.4 prospects in the top 101 if all things were equal. About a third of the teams will have about 2 prospects ( that's 20), another third about 3 prospects (that's 50) and the rest 50 prospects will be divided among the top 10 systems.

The Twins system has prospects in the 20s and 30s that would be on top 10 of other systems. Gilmartin is a good case. He was the Braves' 10th best prospect for 2014 according to the BA. In my top 40 list that was made before he joined the Twins, he'd probably be in the mid to high 20s. And the Braves have actually a system that would be in the middle 10 vs the bottom 10 IMHO.

So, it is easy to see the Twins having 8 prospects in that list.

I do not agree that all of those 8 (particularly Thorpe) are top 100 type talent yet, but I would include Polanco in the top 100 for sure (and I think that he is like number six in my list of Twins' prospects)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    I think thrylos is right but if Rosario fell off (for PEDs) maybe Jorge sneaks in.

On a side note, Thorpe might be gaining a lot of helium this offseason. The scouting reports on him were apparently great and at least a few prospect watchers have commented that he'd be a first round pick (and one to track this season) in the upcoming draft. So maybe BP is ahead of the curve on him.

Also, just for fun, the Twins graduated 3 top 100 guys this season in Hicks, Gibson and Arcia. The fact that they can lose those 3 and still be considered one of the best farm systems (if not the best) is really amazing. It'll take a year or two but this team's future is really bright.

16. These 2 users like gunnarthor's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (12-30-2013), Stan Zbornak (12-30-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see how it's hard to say 8 Twins are on the top 101. I haven't followed other teams close enough to say that sounds like too much. Most gurus think the Twins have the #1 or #2 system in MLB. Then you have teams like the Braves, Angels, White Sox, Giants, Brewers...don't have much. Maybe 1-2 guys that hit the top 100.

Kohl Stewart, Trey Ball, and Hunter Harvey are HS pitchers who made the top 100. If Thorpe had put up those numbers his SR of high school instead of the Rookie League, he'd be a 1st RD Draft pick. And perhaps higher than Trey Ball, if not Stewart.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I don't see how it's hard to say 8 Twins are on the top 101. I haven't followed other teams close enough to say that sounds like too much. Most gurus think the Twins have the #1 or #2 system in MLB. Then you have teams like the Braves, Angels, White Sox, Giants, Brewers...don't have much. Maybe 1-2 guys that hit the top 100.

Kohl Stewart, Trey Ball, and Hunter Harvey are HS pitchers who made the top 100. If Thorpe had put up those numbers his SR of high school instead of the Rookie League, he'd be a 1st RD Draft pick. And perhaps higher than Trey Ball, if not Stewart.
    Actually, he put those numbers up as the equivalent of a junior. If he was born in the US, he'd be in this years draft.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Actually, he put those numbers up as the equivalent of a junior. If he was born in the US, he'd be in this years draft.
    And he's LEFT HANDED...he is tall and built...and left handed. He allegedly has a great feel for pitching is a pretty bright mate...and did I mention he is LEFT HANDED. I want to do dirty, possibly illegal things to his scouting report.

P.S. This should not be deleted for being inappropriate because this dude is the real deal (albeit in a SSS)

20. These 3 users like Twins Twerp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (12-30-2013), maxisagod (12-31-2013), Siehbiscuit (12-31-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    Instead of looking at as "Know way the Twins should have 8," look at it as individual players.

1. Byron Buxton - 1
    2. Miguel Sano - top 5
    3. Alex Meyer - top 20
    4. Kohl Stewart - top 30
    5. Eddie Rosario - top 50
    6. Josmil Pinto - top 75
    7. Jorge Polanco - top 90
    8. Jose Berrios - top 101
    9. Lewis Thorpe - top 101? Does his talent force him to break in?
    10. Felix Jorge - needs more time?

If this is his list he is ranking these players as individuals, who on this list isn't a top 101 talent? It may seem like a lot for one organization, but guys like Thorpe and Polanco are showing their talents with great seasons last year. It may prove too much to keep them out. Berrios was also very good last year before fatigue set in. The only reason I can see Berrios over Thorpe is Berrios was at least at low A last year and pitched well. Thorpe may have to prove it this year in full season ball. If he pitches well again in Cedar Rapids, he will likely pass Berrios on this list.

Also, its exciting to think that someone like Gonsalves (sp?) could replace Meyers on this list next year with a good season. As well as, Walker could replace Sano with another strong season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Instead of looking at as "Know way the Twins should have 8," look at it as individual players.

1. Byron Buxton - 1
    2. Miguel Sano - top 5
    3. Alex Meyer - top 20
    4. Kohl Stewart - top 30
    6. Josmil Pinto - top 75

If this is his list he is ranking these players as individuals, who on this list isn't a top 101 talent? It may seem like a lot for one organization, but guys like Thorpe and Polanco are showing their talents with great seasons last year. It may prove too much to keep them out. Berrios was also very good last year before fatigue set in. The only reason I can see Berrios over Thorpe is Berrios was at least at low A last year and pitched well. Thorpe may have to prove it this year in full season ball. If he pitches well again in Cedar Rapids, he will likely pass Berrios on this list.

Also, its exciting to think that someone like Gonsalves (sp?) could replace Meyers on this list next year with a good season. As well as, Walker could replace Sano with another strong season.
    Just an FYI, Parks tweeted that Sano and Buxton were the only Twins in the top 25 (presumably much higher) and Meyer was the only other one that made the top 50 (my guess is the 40-45 area).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post

1. Byron Buxton - 1
    2. Miguel Sano - top 5
    3. Alex Meyer - top 20
    4. Kohl Stewart - top 30
    6. Josmil Pinto - top 75

I agree that Polanco should be there instead of Thorpe, but it sounds like Thorpe might be the eight guy. Anyway, I think Polanco and Kepler would be in the top 150.

It isn't hard to see the Twins having 8 again going into 2015, even after Sano, Meyer, and Pinto graduate. Gonsalves, Polanco, Kepler, Felix, Harrison, and Walker are candidates (with breakout seasons from a couple of them).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast