Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 111 Times in 67 Posts
    Win range for 2014:

Low - 72
    High - 93

Best guess? 81

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    What I like about the Twins offense for next year is, they don't need everything to go right in order to improve. If Hicks doesn't return to form, maybe Rosario wins an outfield job. if Willingham doesn't return to form, maybe Kubel does. If Plouffe shows us nothing, maybe promote Sano early.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    And because Thrylos and Willihammer are learking nearby, the advanced metrics.

(though, they could surely provide more)

Sano's BABIP is the lowest of the bunch. And it's quite low.

Attachment 6234
    Very nice post. A few numbers jump out at me. I don't want to derail this thread, but it seems fair to comment on this interesting data regarding one of our biggest sources of hope for the future. First thing that jumps out at me is age. Harper and Stanton were both younger than Sano at AA. Sano is still quite young for AA, but the observation stands.

The best stat on that sheet, for me at least, is wRC+, which measures hitting and adjusts for league (and park, but only at the MLB level). In terms of pure hitting, Sano had a monster performance at AA, even relative to Harper and Stanton. 45% above league average at 20 years old is damn good. I really see a bright future for him, especially considering his BB%. With improved fielding allowing him to stay at third, Sano will be a huge part of the Twins future.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

4. These 2 users like B Richard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (12-31-2013), Joe A. Preusser (12-30-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aaron Hicks should bounce back. He got into a funk or something. There's nothing in his history that would suggest he'd have any sort of season like he had last season, except last season. I just can't see him being a flame in the pan, one try .192 hitter in MLB. His hit tool and BB/SO patience would suggest he's more than that.
    Actually, his minor league history showed he took some time to adjust at mastering each successive level of promotion. The Twins FO ignored that history, inexplicably jumped poor Aaron Hicks not one, but 2 Levels, and then rather unfairly expected a major league level performance- at the lead-off spot no less- from a guy who, other than a meaningless Spring Training, hadn't demonstrated he was ready for the move.

This time around should go better, but I would bet that he starts in Roc., and following his past history, will begin to demonstrate mastery of AAA and heat up as springtime temperatures move into the summer month weather.

I think the biggest decision on Hicks will be whether or not he remains a switch hitter.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 43 Posts
    Don't get me wrong on Sano.... optimism with him is totally justified. Problem is, what if Plouffe looks semi-OK at the plate to start, and so Twins then decide to sit on Sano 'till August? We're dealing with a very conservative club here. The question is all about when he comes up, and how the club makes that decision. I question MGMT.
    F5, then post.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And because Thrylos and Willihammer are learking nearby, the advanced metrics.

(though, they could surely provide more)

Sano's BABIP is the lowest of the bunch. And it's quite low.

Attachment 6234

Stats courtesy of Fangraphs.
    Nah. Cannot really provide more, other that a reference to the Oliver's projection (that was done in a similar way, with comparables, but with many comparables and longer equations )

He projects this line for Sano if he were to play in the majors in 2014:

.238/.315/.517 143 G, 600 PA, 37 HR, 80 R, 101 RBI, 55 BB, 210 K (and .309 BABIP and 4.5 WAR)

I'd take that line with the Twins for 2014.

Over at fangraphs Oliver has a 5 year projection that has him hit 51 HR with 128 RBI and 7.6 WAR in 2018 with a .269/.354/.634 slash line. That's before he reaches his prime too. Bonds' territory. And scary, most people do not think he is the best Twins' prospect...

But projections are just fancy (and fun) math exercises

His BABIP is comparable to Stanton's who is a slow power hitter as well (HRs are not Balls in Play btw) and a speedier guy like Harper will have a higher BABIP.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Very nice post. A few numbers jump out at me. I don't want to derail this thread, but it seems fair to comment on this interesting data regarding one of our biggest sources of hope for the future. First thing that jumps out at me is age. Harper and Stanton were both younger than Sano at AA. Sano is still quite young for AA, but the observation stands.

The best stat on that sheet, for me at least, is wRC+, which measures hitting and adjusts for league (and park, but only at the MLB level). In terms of pure hitting, Sano had a monster performance at AA, even relative to Harper and Stanton. 45% above league average at 20 years old is damn good. I really see a bright future for him, especially considering his BB%. With improved fielding allowing him to stay at third, Sano will be a huge part of the Twins future.
    To be fair, Sano was only 6 months older than Stanton while playing at the similar levels. And as you noted, Sano's performance was absolutely monster relative to both Harper and Stanton. Sano actually improved his BB% after moving to AA, and was playing with an injury for much of the last half of 2013.

Besides the wRC+ number for Sano, which dwarfed the others (Harper was only league average @ 100), Sano's ISO was ridiculous relative to the other two- and unlike the other 2 who took a significant drop in ISO upon promotion- he actually INCREASED his ISO on the move up to AA.

Sano ISO for A+ and AA: .325/.335
    Harper ISO for A+ & AA: .236/.140
    Stanton ISO for A+ & AA: .283/.224

Bright future indeed. Hopefully, the future starts soon after the service time issues are resolved.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    Don't get me wrong on Sano.... optimism with him is totally justified. Problem is, what if Plouffe looks semi-OK at the plate to start, and so Twins then decide to sit on Sano 'till August? We're dealing with a very conservative club here. The question is all about when he comes up, and how the club makes that decision. I question MGMT.
    Simple. Plouffe becomes the Super-UTIL that we all have been clamoring for and Sano beats down the door and into the starting lineup. I am hoping that the Twins aren't thinking too seriously about the Futures game as the moment and venue for their prized prospects debut at a major league park. If Sano is mashing from the outset at AAA, he should be promoted way before August.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 43 Posts
    We're all hoping that Sano mashes out of the gate (getting over his current elbow problems). That makes a decision easy.

My worry is that with the traditional mindset of this org., you wind up with a stupidly sticky situation where (realistically) Sano has some adjustments to make , while Plouffe (briefly) focuses and produces, blocking Sano (in retrospect, but conservatively) for far too long.
    F5, then post.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    We're all hoping that Sano mashes out of the gate (getting over his current elbow problems). That makes a decision easy.

My worry is that with the traditional mindset of this org., you wind up with a stupidly sticky situation where (realistically) Sano has some adjustments to make , while Plouffe (briefly) focuses and produces, blocking Sano (in retrospect, but conservatively) for far too long.
    Plouffe will never block Sano. If Plouffe hits, he can move in a corner OF position in 2014.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Plouffe will never block Sano. If Plouffe hits, he can move in a corner OF position in 2014.
    Ideally, Willingham has a good first half and is traded for value. Sano takes his roster spot and Plouffe becomes a utility player. As long as I am wishing, Correia is traded for value around the same time and Gibson takes his roster spot.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Plouffe's defensive limitations are not a great fit for the utility role.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Plouffe's defensive limitations are not a great fit for the utility role.
    I disagree. He'd be just fine as a part-time corner OF and 1B, with an occasional stint at 3B against LHP.

I agree that Plouffe would be a nice bench player that could play some corner infield and outfield. In a perfect world Willingham and Corriea will get off to good starts and can be traded. Then the Twins line-up might look something like this in August.

1. Hicks CF
    2. Dozier 2B
    3. Mauer 1B
    4. Sano 3B
    5. Kubel DH
    6. Arcia RF/LF
    7. Pinto C
    8. Florimon SS
    9. Presley/Plouffe/Parmalee LF/RF

Bench: Plouffe, Escobar, Suzuki, Parmalee

SP: Nolasco, Hughes, Pelfrey, Deduno, Gibson (I think Meyer is at best a Sept. call-up)
    RP: Perkins, Burton, Fien, Duensing, Thielbar, Tonkin, Swarzak

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    Ideally, Willingham has a good first half and is traded for value. Sano takes his roster spot and Plouffe becomes a utility player. As long as I am wishing, Correia is traded for value around the same time and Gibson takes his roster spot.
    If Plouffe and Willingham both come out of the gate strong and Sano is deemed ready for the big time, as well, I suspect Plouffe will be as likely (and perhaps more so) to be traded as Willingham. He'd almost certainly be perceived to have more value and if you feel neither will be a critical piece of the puzzle beginning in 2015, there's no reason not to deal the player who would bring the best return.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I disagree. He'd be just fine as a part-time corner OF and 1B, with an occasional stint at 3B against LHP.
    That might just be semantics- if you try to get his bat into the lineup against LHP, he's more of a platoon player than a utility player, based on how I use the terms.

And if he doesn't regularly play against LHP, he's a waste of a roster spot, because of the defense issues.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    Win range for 2014:

Low - 72
    High - 93

Best guess? 81
    I don't think that range is right. We out-performed our expected W-L by 5 games last year. While we certainly could do that again, I feel like the low should factor in that we don't.

I imagine the range should be more like 68 to 88. I can't imagine this offense managing to win 90 games.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The next wave doesn't really have a DH just yet, or a super utility guy that could be used to give a guy a day off. I really think those roles are what Plouffe and Parmelee are fighting for in 2014 (and this really can be 1 position, not 2). Both have shown enough to tease you, but neither have proven they can consistently get the job done. The one that hits will find a role. If neither hit, they will be DFAd as soon as they get expensive. If both hits, you can consider a trade.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    [QUOTE=John Bonnes;188501]ESPN's and Baseball Prospectus' Christina Kahrl just penned a story about how the Twins could surprise much like the Indians did last year. There's a lot she likes about the Twins, including the free agent signings this offseason....

When you are on the bottom there usually is no where to go but up. If the Twins win 15 more this season TR and Gardy look like a couple of geniuses.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    Maybe I am weird or way off base but I don't want Sano or Buxton up until they are essentially overly ready. At 20 or 21 in six years when they hit the FA market at least one of them might be gone as the going rate for super stars seems to be around 25 mil per year. I don't want to train them in the Majors. I want them to be truly ready for the six years we have some control over them.

22. These 3 users like Dman's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (12-30-2013), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (12-31-2013), Ultima Ratio (12-31-2013)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast