Thread: Article: Top '13 Stories: #7 - Twins Draft Kohl Stewart

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Top '13 Stories: #7 - Twins Draft Kohl Stewart

2. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-29-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    What kind of innings limit are we looking at for Kohl Stewart?

The reports of his diva attitude worry me. Sounds like the anti-Buxton.

Does anyone else see a connection between our pitchers not going more than 5 innings and the way our organization treats/trains pitchers?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevening View Post
    Can't all be Buxton, but a little strong confidence is also sometimes a necessity for a great player. He's not there yet, but he's definitely different than what the Twins typically go after. Not a bad thing unless it becomes a bad thing.

7. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-29-2013)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmolds19 View Post
    Does anyone else see a connection between our pitchers not going more than 5 innings and the way our organization treats/trains pitchers?
    No, they're going to let players just drafted work into the innings. College guys who have been throwing since January get to ease in. Stewart had some shoulder soreness. You don't mess with that.

9. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-29-2013)

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    I second orangevening's worries. I have a buddy in the organization (I will leave him anonymous) who backs up this sentiment about Stewart. At the same time however, his numbers and tools are certainly encouraging and it's not like everyone gets along with everyone, so maybe it's not all that big a deal.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    I'm a tad weary of these stories concerning Stewart's makeup. They seem to be built upon a couple anecdotal remarks made by commenters that have snowballed over time. I'll reserve judgment until a.) it emerges as a problem in mainstream media b.) I have a personal interaction with the kid.

Confidence is not a bad thing and will serve him well when he faces the challenges and adversity of the game.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    What kind of innings limit are we looking at for Kohl Stewart?
    I would guess 120 in terms of innings... I'm not a big stat nut but somewhere around 120 would be max, and he is really young and need to be careful with his arm, espec. with the shoulder issues but he has a chance to be really good, and maybe between him, Berrios, Meyer, This years pick and another one or two, including Gibson, at the very least, the twins should have some very tradable assests at the best 4 to 5, very capable/ possibly top end of the rotation talent that should be fun to watch, granted a couple won't pan out, but your still dealing with top end talent/potential that should bring this team back into competent or probably post season bound every year like it was the previous 7-8 yrs before 2011!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Can't all be Buxton, but a little strong confidence is also sometimes a necessity for a great player. He's not there yet, but he's definitely different than what the Twins typically go after. Not a bad thing unless it becomes a bad thing.
    I watched 3 interviews after being drafted, one with Gonsalves. Stewart is very intelligent. He stood up for Johnny Manziel, which was questionable. But he's very smart in comparison and won't just 'answer' a question that's politically correct. He'll be honest. He'll say, "I don't know." He talked about the hardships of minor league ball and going by bus. He's pretty smart kid, I came away encouraged. He was very respectful of Terry Ryan and authority, you could tell in his speech.

The only negative was he stood up for Manziel, when he's clearly a moron. But that's a football guy, you stand by your guys. I see that as two-fold - one a great teammate guy - but two, maybe a weakness, in that make sure it's for the right reasons.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I watched 3 interviews after being drafted, one with Gonsalves. Stewart is very intelligent. He stood up for Johnny Manziel, which was questionable. But he's very smart in comparison and won't just 'answer' a question that's politically correct. He'll be honest. He'll say, "I don't know." He talked about the hardships of minor league ball and going by bus. He's pretty smart kid, I came away encouraged. He was very respectful of Terry Ryan and authority, you could tell in his speech.

The only negative was he stood up for Manziel, when he's clearly a moron. But that's a football guy, you stand by your guys. I see that as two-fold - one a great teammate guy - but two, maybe a weakness, in that make sure it's for the right reasons.
    Johnny Manziel is pretty popular among younger people. After all, he is just a kid having fun in college. People try too hard to give him a bad image.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    Johnny Manziel is pretty popular among younger people. After all, he is just a kid having fun in college. People try too hard to give him a bad image.
    Also, you know, Stewart was committed to play QB at A&M. Even if he hated Manziel he couldn't say anything.

I'm not worried at all about his attitude issues. He is still a kid. Not every player will be humble and having a little cockiness isn't a bad thing. Especially from a pitcher who could be the ace of your team. All that matters is he has stuff that scouts salivate over. While Meyer is closer Stewart's stuff is arguably already better.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah. I have a friend who has worked with him and other A&M athletes on their PR. He says, "I'm a college student just like everybody else."

But he's not, he's the Heisman Trophy winner, on National TV, and has a chance to play in the NFL someday and make millions of dollars, which makes him not like every body else.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    "...but a little strong confidence is also sometimes a necessity for a great player."

Everything done well stems from pride.

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post

Sorry to get off topic but the Manziel bashing always sets me off on this rant, so I just have to get it out there: I'm almost exactly the same age as Manziel and I can guarantee you that if you put me in his shoes--being nationally famous overnight, intensely scrutinized, and with very wealthy parents who will give me (seemingly) anything I could ever want, I don't think I would handle myself very well publicly either. Especially considering a little over a year ago, he was largely unknown. If I was being vilified every time I went out to a bar or a house party at school, my public perception would be pretty negative as well.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Unless we have had extended personal contact with either Manziel or Stewart we do not know? How can anyone come across as being of sound and stable while having hundreds of cameras and mikes shoved in their faces constantly?

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I keep hearing about these reports from a few random posts in this message board. I've yet to actually see a link to some of this. Personally, I'd like to see that.

21. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-01-2014)