Blog Entries

Article: Five reasons re-signing Mike Pelfrey could be a steal

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 65 Times in 44 Posts
    I am a Pelfrey Believer and hope he proves his doubters wrong.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I have a nagging feeling that after this year we will all be wishing we'd locked him up for 5 years instead of 2. He will turn in a sub 4 ERA, possibly leading the staff (and that's actually saying something after all the guys we brought in).

I like the logic (and the optimism!). It is hard to find pitchers with Pelfrey's size, FB velo and overall stuff.

The other pitcher I believe will surprise in a positive manner is Gibson. He has very good velo and should be ready to make a big step up in 2014. I read the article stating he led the league in strikes being called balls......the umpires know this now and I think they will adjust. He has as much ability as any pitcher on the staff, now we need him to put it to good use!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do Genies grant 5 wishes?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Do Genies grant 5 wishes?
    Depends. Jeannie granted unlimited wishes IIRC...
    -----

7. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (12-26-2013)

I can't stand how slow he is but have no problem accepting all of the points made here. It would not surprise me if he significantly outperformed Hughes. They should have added a 3rd year team option. Having said this, I also would not be surprised if the change of scenery has a positive effect on Hughes.

Excellent article Thrylos! I think we all thought he came back too soon last spring and would be viewed more favorably if he put those stinking April and May numbers in the minors first. If they had better options to trot out there to start last season like they do this year we would have a better opinion of Pelfry.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, a partial scouting report from Long Live Shea Stadium blog dated March 10, 2011-- just the bad part since Thrylos handled the Good.

The Bad: The biggest knock against "Big Pelf" is that he can't strike hitters out, and last year was no exception. His K/9 rate was below 5, and his career average is 5.1K/9. He simply doesn't have the ability to miss bats, and hitters only swung and miss 6% of the time last year; as a reference, league average was 8.5%. Still throws his fastball a lot (69%), because his slider is still a below-average major league pitch, and even though he added and threw his split finger last year (14% of the time), it wasn't a league average pitch. He started to throw a curve-ball a little more last year (5.5%) and that was a decent pitch for him.

http://longlivesheastadium.blogspot....frey-2011.html

He's not going to master the change up at age 30. Perhaps he will master the splitter. Except the Twins eschew the splitter.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pelfrey did strike out 6.0 batters per nine innings in 2013, probably reflective of the elevated K trend in mlb. IIRC, Pelf had the highest K rate of Twins starters--probably the ultimate "damning with faint praise".

The problem with this analysis is that Mike Pelfrey does not have excellent stuff and has never had excellent stuff. Velocity does not equal stuff. Over his career, he has one pitch that nets a positive linear weight score. That pitch is his fastball even though it did not give good results in 2013. The slider, despite the velocity has been a below average major league pitch if you add up his entire career. In 2007, 2009 and 2012, it was slightly above average probably due to luck. Pelfrey has never been a good major league pitcher because he has no pitches that create wins for his team. The place to see the data is at Fan Graphs under Pitcher Fx Pitch Values. http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...203&position=P Francisco Liriano is the pitcher with the great slider. Compare Liriano and Pelfrey's slider-- look at wSL/C -- and it is easy to see how Liriano was a winnel for the Pirates and how Pelfrey, unless he develops a pitch he has never had in his entire career, is destined to continue to be a loser for the Twins.

Coming back from TJ in 10 months is dang impressive. So many pitcher's rehabs are littered with setbacks and "shutting it down" when things dont feel quite right. Ask the Cubs about their dealings with a certain former Twins pitcher. Pelfrey's got guts. That counts for something in my book.

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Both Pelfrey and Nolasco have sabermetric stats that say they should be better than they actually performed/perform. I would take the stats saying they would be worse, but they perform better, instead. In a heartbeat. Coming back and pitching after TJ surgery so quickly will only impress me if they actually perform well. The first two months would have been just as well served in rehab, than pitching that poorly. I believe it takes just as much guts to be smart, and not hurt your team, as it does to play and hurt your team. Many players are dishonest about their injuries these days, and it does not help the team at all. Mostly it hurts the team.
    Last edited by h2oface; 12-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,519 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thrylos, great take on Pelfrey. You're way more bullish on him than me but you have some valid points. Two things I think you missed though:

1. Given his age, I think it's unlikely that Mike will add a changeup. It's possible, though.

2. If he fails as a starter, he is a prime candidate for the bullpen. He's a big, hard-throwing righty that should be able to crank it up into the mid-90s from the pen. I doubt he'll be Glen Perkins but he should be more than serviceable in that role and at $5m a season, that's not an outrageous price to pay a guy who comes into the seventh or eighth inning for the team 60 times a season.

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bertrecords View Post
    The problem with this analysis is that Mike Pelfrey does not have excellent stuff and has never had excellent stuff.
    Compare Liriano and Pelfrey's slider-- look at wSL/C -- and it is easy to see how Liriano was a winnel for the Pirates and how Pelfrey, unless he develops a pitch he has never had in his entire career, is destined to continue to be a loser for the Twins.
    I was with you until that last sentence. You're right about his stuff and his slider, but he's also shown he can be a valuable contributor. He's not the next All-Star ace, but he has plenty of opportunity to provide surplus value at his $5.5M salary. I think he'll definitely outperform his salary over the next two years and it was a smart signing.

Everyone rode the Correia signing last year (myself as well) with a theme that signing him might be okay if he wasn't the "big" signing of the offseason. This year, Pelfrey (who is better than Correia) was the THIRD best signing. Let's keep the perspective straight here.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bertrecords View Post
    The problem with this analysis is that Mike Pelfrey does not have excellent stuff and has never had excellent stuff. Velocity does not equal stuff. Over his career, he has one pitch that nets a positive linear weight score. That pitch is his fastball even though it did not give good results in 2013. The slider, despite the velocity has been a below average major league pitch if you add up his entire career. In 2007, 2009 and 2012, it was slightly above average probably due to luck. .
    I agree that velocity does not equal quality, as far as the fastball goes.

Look at the slider velocity chart and the 12 pitchers who have velocities in the neighborhood of Pelfrey's and give me one single mediocre pitcher. The issue is that he is not throwing it quite enough. As far as luck and wSL/C goes, it is the other way around, because wSL/C does not normalize for BABIP (so I take those measurements with a huge grain of salt.) His BABIP was the second highest in the majors last season and I suspect that is reflected.

The other reason I do not like the wPITCH/C measurement is that it is not significant enough in low count pitches. Example: in 2013 Pelfrey threw 2727 pitches. 10% or so or 272 are sliders. In the wSL/C (that bundles per 100 pitches, that is what the C is) the N=2.7 Not good. Think about it similarly to UZR/150, which needs a few seasons worth of data to be significant. Despite the high BABIP and the low confidence on the sample size, the 2013 wSL/C was 0.02 (league average) and his best pitch...

Third (and really important) : Cannot compare slider (or curveball or screwball for that matter) before and after TJ surgery. Different elbows. Pelfrey's slider before TJ averaged around 84 mph. Last season it was 86.3. Totally different beasts. So past performance and wSL/C values do not matter.
    -----

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    I'm happy with the signing due to the short term and price. The only thing I don't like about it is the opportunity cost. By doing this signing the Twins have limited themselves from picking up a bigger name like Garza, Ubaldo, etc. Probably means they weren't planning to get one of them anyhow though.

I guess if they find they can get a decent price on one of the free agent starters they could probably flip Correia pretty easily too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Look at the slider velocity chart and the 12 pitchers who have velocities in the neighborhood of Pelfrey's and give me one single mediocre pitcher. The issue is that he is not throwing it quite enough. As far as luck and wSL/C goes, it is the other way around, because wSL/C does not normalize for BABIP (so I take those measurements with a huge grain of salt.) His BABIP was the second highest in the majors last season and I suspect that is reflected.
    Your analysis and understanding of the statistics is solid. The slider is 2 mph faster than it used to be. Pelfrey was unlucky last year. Does that make the slider an out pitch? Throughout Pelfrey's entire career, enough innings such that BABIP has averaged out, Pelfrey's slider has never been an out pitch. Baseball is a wonderful game. The unlikely can happen. Thank you for making a case for it. But, I will believe in Pelfrey's slider only after it becomes an out pitch. Not before.

One thing about Pelfrey's slider though - it's actually a cutter. I discovered this when I did a "look at all the cutters the Twins' staff throw!" for Twinkie Town early during the 2013 season: http://www.twinkietown.com/2013/5/30...t-inefficiency

Here's the article I found that confirmed that Pelfrey was throwing a cutter rather than a slider: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/art...k_nym&c_id=nym

This falls into the category were everything in baseball can't be explained by numbers. Pelfrey's stuff just isn't very good no matter what velocity he is throwing at. You cannot be that unlucky for that long by accident. I do think his signing could end up being decent, but expecting anything beyond that is too much IMO. He is what his numbers have said over the course of his career.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast