Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Can Terry Ryan Truly Change His Stripes?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Can Terry Ryan Truly Change His Stripes?

I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Great post and analysis- especially the point about attracting free agents.
    It's a given that the Twins and TR need to lay the money down often enough in this off season to convince the FA market that there's a serious turnaround in the works. Heck, we fans need to be convinced, hence this article. We have to work our way up the ladder in a thin market.
    Those are the breaks for us right now.

Hopefully, a larger force (JP) is behind this change in TR- it would make sense, at any rate. If the org. is committed from the top down, and TR is taking orders, then that would be a sea change. A change most fans have been dreaming for... but have been burned enough to be wary/suspicious/unbelieving. Call it conditioning.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fllorimon was an above average shortstop last season (.6WAA) and he likely can repeat what he did. Drew is only a minor upgrade and for that reason it isn't worthwhile to give up a draft pick and overpay him. I'd rather have an elite defensive SS than a mixed one. With ground ball pitchers in the rotation, I think it's a must. You also eliminate the Dozier/Rosario idea up the middle.

Morales, on the other hand, I can agree with a little bit. If he's available for a fair price, the Twins should probably pull the trigger. I like what he does at the plate a lot. He's been pretty good in the last two seasons since he broke his leg. However, if you use him exclusively as a DH, then you have to keep both Willingham and Arcia in the outfield.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like both of these ideas. Kendrys Morales has a career OPS+ of 120. Stephen Drew's is 98, which isn't great, but it's a heck of a lot better than Florimon's (67). I'm not completely sold on Drew for $10 million though.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    ground ball pitchers? Which staff is that?

TR has, effectively, cut payroll again this year. Let's see what he does now. And, a 2nd rounder? Really? Ugh. The odds of a second rounder contributing to a MLB roster are very low.....

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I'd like to see a stronger argument put forth for signing Drew at short. I see people saying he's available and statistically an offensive upgrade, but that's about it, and very little discussion of his red flags. For where the Twins are at this moment, I'd feel good about Florimon.

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And we had JJ Hardy. Stephen Drew would be a waste of future resources. But Florimon is not the answer either.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    ground ball pitchers? Which staff is that?

TR has, effectively, cut payroll again this year. Let's see what he does now. And, a 2nd rounder? Really? Ugh. The odds of a second rounder contributing to a MLB roster are very low.....
    Mike, I'm pretty sure you can't effectively cut payroll again this year, until the year at least starts. What happened to your fascinating study about WAR's where you conclusively proved our favorite team was just a few moves away from capturing the Central?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 824 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not terribly excited about either one right now. I could get on board with Drew. I don't know if I buy Morales. I still think Parmelee and Plouffe deserve one more year to prove they belong. I still think both could, and one could earn that DH job for the next wave. A DH can be signed any time, so honestly I'd rather us roll the dice at the chance that the teasing both Parm and Plouffe have done represents some real sustainable MLB talent.

Stephen Drew owns a career .264 average with unspectacular power numbers and hasn't played a full season since 2010. He will be 31 in March. I'm not a fan of signing him, but having Morales protecting Mauer would be a HUGE improvement (57 xbh's last year). I just don't know if it's worth the money Boras is gonna want.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Stephen Drew owns a career .264 average with unspectacular power numbers and hasn't played a full season since 2010. He will be 31 in March. I'm not a fan of signing him, but having Morales protecting Mauer would be a HUGE improvement (57 xbh's last year). I just don't know if it's worth the money Boras is gonna want.
    A case can be made for or against Drew, Morales and any other free agent, based on whether you feel the particular player would or would not improve the Twins' line up.

However, given where the Twins payroll currently stands vs. the revenues they have coming in (including the additional national TV revenues from the league) there is absolutely no reason anyone should concern themselves with whether any player is "worth the money" they'd want. Nobody remaining on the FA market would command so much money that paying it would hamstring the Twins at any time in the near or distant future.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

12. These 2 users like Jim Crikket's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (12-24-2013), USAFChief (12-25-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Nice article JC and nice argument. I'm not buying it, but nice logical approach. Terry still has money to spend, but I think he puts it down on an outfielder.

Interesting couple of months to see if he spends some more money and if so, where he spends it.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Trade for JJ hardy , sign Garza and Scott Baker, and spend that 127.5 million we have avalible in 2014

[/QUOTE]Nobody remaining on the FA market would command so much money that paying it would hamstring the Twins at any time in the near or distant future.[/QUOTE]

Vaild point (with the exception of Tanaka). But I still don't see much value in signing (overpaying) Stephen Drew. That said, I don't know what the BoSox offer was to him.

Btw how do upload a profile pic on here. cant seem to figure out how.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Btw how do upload a profile pic on here. cant seem to figure out how.
    Click the "Settings" link in the upper right-hand corner of the forum. There's a menu option there for profile pictures. You can either link to one, or upload one.

I'd rather sign Garza and develop our position players. When Meyer, May, Gibson, etc. are ready to contribute and the rotation becomes crowded, trade pitchers to fill positions of need.

2015:
    1. CF Buxton
    2. LF Rosario
    3. 1B Mauer
    4. 3B Sano
    5. DH Arcia
    6. 2B Dozier
    7. RF Hicks
    8. C Pinto
    9. SS million dollar question

Moving Dozier to SS would be foolish. He is a gold glove caliber 2nd baseman. Don't mess wirh that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    I like the agressiveness but I just don't like the players. The money isn't an issue but the roster spots are. I don't want to commit three years to a SS who has never even had three healthy years in his career. I also don't want to lock up the DH spot for the next three years; I like that position being much more flexible.

Kendrys to me is the best pick up. Right handed power at Target Field. Fill DH spot with a capable hitter and a occasional backup at first. I just think in our best years, the DH spot had a regular solid hitter in place, not as a revolving door for marginal players. Even in the 2002-2010 run, the one piece I think we were missing was that big bat in the DH spot. Plus the money is there. Get it done!!!

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agreed with Drew before reading, but I was skeptical of the idea of Morales. I don't think that Morales provides a position of "need". However you have made a good point of its more important to improve the team than fill need at this point. In a year or two, the narrative should change to gap fullfillment...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Not that entused about Drew. Injury history is a concern. I also think his offensive numbers would suffer at Target field. He has played in Arizona and Fenway. Two very good hitters parks. I do think money factors into these signings even though the Twins have plenty. There is always the next deal, next move to make. Injuries happen and you need flexibility.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast