Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Parmelee trade value?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Chris Parmelee trade value?

Does Chris Parmelee have any trade value at all? He is nothing more than another one of a group of AAAA players that never panned out. Is he worth holding onto in hopes that he can have some value as a MN Twin? Or does he get a shot and if he has a poor spring training he gets DFA?

We'll find out when Baltimore trades him.

3. These 2 users like goliath's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-24-2013), USAFChief (12-24-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Here's your answer.

5. This user likes Highabove's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (12-24-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sure, the last two seasons have done nothing to inspire any confidence in Parmelee, but he will only be 26 in the upcoming season. I really see no reason to abandon ship on this young man as of yet, unless their is some cluster**** roster crunch.

Hell, Michael Cuddyer was 25 before he made an okay contribution to the Twins. He was 27 in his breakout season. Parmelee is not some blue hair - he certainly deserves another chance to prove he can cut the mustard.

If the Twins cut bait - I can envision seeing a post or more in the next few seasons, lambasting the Twins for giving up on Parmelee because he has become a 20HR, .280BA kind of player who plays a respectable RF and a solid 1B... for the Orioles.
    We will rise from the killing floor... like a Matador.

7. These 2 users like Bark's Lounge's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (12-24-2013), glunn (12-24-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jerry Sands was just released and he was a better prospect.

Fringe players out of options have little trade value. They might be able to swap him for another out of options player. If they could find an out of options CF from a team looking for a left handed bat it might work.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Sands, Castellanos, and the like for the most part become Wilkin Ramirez and Clete Thomas.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 756 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm going with "not much". I think the Twins would be wise to let him play every day and see if he can figure it out. He's shown he can hit major league pitching in the past... He just needs to adjust to whatever they've done since then.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Does Chris Parmelee have any trade value at all? He is nothing more than another one of a group of AAAA players that never panned out. Is he worth holding onto in hopes that he can have some value as a MN Twin? Or does he get a shot and if he has a poor spring training he gets DFA?
    He's basically there in case of injury at this point. If he isn't going to play ahead of Kubel, as it appears, then he has no trade value. No one is going to trade anything significant when he'll likely be available for free at some point before the season starts.

The bottom line is, though, that if a player can't find his way onto the punchless Twins at this point, he's really got no value.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    The Twins never gave him consistent play time. It could be that they assessed through in watching him in the organization that he does not have the skill of an everyday player. That assessment may be correct.

If they believed he has that potential, they missed an opportunity to invest in that potential. How many extra wins did a Doumit give them last year while starting at DH or corner OF while Parmelee was on the bench? These are the choices teams in a cycle of mediocrity make. They play the higher floor low upside veteran over developing a younger player.

It can take 1000 plate appearances for a player to develop. After 2+ seasons Parmelee isn't close. The Parmelee question should be a lot clearer now. Like Hendriks, who was not given a long consistent opportunity, the Twins must not believe in him.

Will it be the same for Arcia? Will they allow him to work through his struggle, endure his defensive and base running mistakes and stick with him through games where it looks like he has no idea at the plate? The Twins better be willing to invest at bats and innings into this wave of prospects coming through they system and stick with them through the adjustment.

13. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dman (12-24-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee was never going to be starter on a good team, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have value for the Twins. That Willingham is still on this team is a ridiculous mystery, so Parmelee is going to have some trouble getting playing time to establish trade value for other teams.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    The Twins never gave him consistent play time. It could be that they assessed through in watching him in the organization that he does not have the skill of an everyday player. That assessment may be correct.

If they believed he has that potential, they missed an opportunity to invest in that potential. How many extra wins did a Doumit give them last year while starting at DH or corner OF while Parmelee was on the bench? These are the choices teams in a cycle of mediocrity make. They play the higher floor low upside veteran over developing a younger player.

It can take 1000 plate appearances for a player to develop. After 2+ seasons Parmelee isn't close. The Parmelee question should be a lot clearer now. Like Hendriks, who was not given a long consistent opportunity, the Twins must not believe in him.

Will it be the same for Arcia? Will they allow him to work through his struggle, endure his defensive and base running mistakes and stick with him through games where it looks like he has no idea at the plate? The Twins better be willing to invest at bats and innings into this wave of prospects coming through they system and stick with them through the adjustment.
    I agree completely with this, and certainly their handling of him has affected his trade value to some extent (of course, if he was terrible that woudn't have helped either) but by handling him the way they have, there's no way the get anything in trade for him.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this point, Parmelee also needs to be able to play left field. I know somewhere Gardenhire or Ryan made some claim about Parmelee not being able to do so. But, good grief, they put him in center when they needed to do so. With Mauer's move to first, the signing of Kubel, the development of Arcia (I will be angry if they keep him in AAA for any amount of time), and the insistence of keeping Willingham . . .

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Compare Justin Morneau's first 2+ seasons.

His slash line was 248/313/461. He had an OPS+ of 93 his second full season. They also invested 970 plate appearances in those seasons. There was no question that he would get playing time in his third season. Parmelee wasn't given a similar investment. Maybe his skills didn't warrant it, but that can not be determined by the data. With the exception of playing time, it is too similar.

I think it was Bill James who once studied an experience managers preference for playing veteran players and impatience with younger players. If that is the case with Gardenhire, the Twins need to make a change soon before the rest of the prospects follow Arcia and Pinto to the big club.

Maybe it isn't a concern. He did have tremendous patience with Hicks. He also didn't have another CF option on he roster for much of that time.

18. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-25-2013)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Compare Justin Morneau's first 2+ seasons.

His slash line was 248/313/461. He had an OPS+ of 93 his second full season. They also invested 970 plate appearances in those seasons. There was no question that he would get playing time in his third season. Parmelee wasn't given a similar investment. Maybe his skills didn't warrant it, but that can not be determined by the data. With the exception of playing time, it is too similar.

I think it was Bill James who once studied an experience managers preference for playing veteran players and impatience with younger players. If that is the case with Gardenhire, the Twins need to make a change soon before the rest of the prospects follow Arcia and Pinto to the big club.

Maybe it isn't a concern. He did have tremendous patience with Hicks. He also didn't have another CF option on he roster for much of that time.
    I think a better comparison maybe Joe Benson. I'm not sure who Bill James is, but my high school and college coaches had the same preference.

20. This user likes howieramone's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

minn55441 (12-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I'm not sure who Bill James is...

Uh-oh. I advise you to watch your back around these parts my friend.

22. This user likes twinsfaninsaudi's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (12-25-2013)

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He has no trade value, but he has to get better this year. I think he figures out how to hit a fastball and he hits .260 with 15 HRs if he's given the ABs for it.

And if we cut bait on him, we all know who will claim him... the Orioles.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 511 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Spring Training will be important for Parmelee. I think he has a chance to win a spot on the team and if he's moderately promising more teams would be interested in him as a low-cost lottery ticket. He's younger, a better fielder, and more versatile than either Colabello or Kubel. Mauer, Hammer, and Arcia all figure to be ahead of Parm, for sure. Kubel will probably have the inside track to be the DH and he has a track record of as a good hitter until the last year and a half. It is pretty likely that somebody will suffer an injury and there is a pretty good likelihood that Willingham will be traded by the deadline. Parmelee needs to win a spot and then perform or he won't be with the Twins much longer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I think a better comparison maybe Joe Benson. I'm not sure who Bill James is, but my high school and college coaches had the same preference.
    I'm pretty sure that is sarcasm. As a matter of fact, I think it is hilarious.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post

Uh-oh. I advise you to watch your back around these parts my friend.
    Well he has two first names so we know we can't trust him! Haha, jokes aside, not knowing James isn't that big of a deal. You don't need to have read his abstracts to appreciate sabermetrics in today's game. I learned more from Tom Tango, or even just browsing Fangraph's library. (With that said, James is still the man)

Parm's situation is a difficult one, to be sure. I'm of the mindset that we should still give him some time (read: one more season) to see what he's got. I believe that dealing doumit was a good step in this direction. Some guys are late bloomers- maybe Parmelee is one of them. Regardess, after this season, we should have a definitive answer as to whether or not he's worth keeping. The key to this is giving him enough ABs to prove himself. Some consistent playing time wouldn't hurt. Tough situation with the roster, but I have to imagine we can DH him a fair amount of time and cycle him in RF when possible.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kubel signed here because he believed he could make this club. Do not see Parmelee on the club unless he can beat out Kubel. May happen, but I doubt it. There is no reason to not give Arcia the bulk of corner outfield AB's, so Willingham will play the outfield and DH and Kubel will do the same. Twins also have Plouffe who will be in the same position when Sano arrives this year. My instincts say goodby to Chris.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast