Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mastroianni Outrighted

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mastroianni Outrighted

With the Twins making the signings of Pelfrey and Suzuki official, they've also announced that Darin Mastroianni has been outrighted to AAA. This shouldn't come as a huge shocker; Mastro should remain in the organization and get a NRI to Spring Training.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 65 Times in 44 Posts
    That was pretty much predicted on this board after the Suzuki signing. I can't imagine two many teams that would be interested in picking him up but you never know. I like Mastro but his future here looks bleak anyway.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised. If you assume that the season-opening OF plan is Willingham in LF, Presley in CF and Arcia in RF, Mastro would have made tons of sense as 4th OF, since he'd be a good complement to the LH-hitting Presley in center and could fill in at the corners to upgrade the defense at times.

That he's been pulled from the 40-man roster suggests that he is no longer in the club's immediate plans. He was a pretty nice fit as 4th OF in 2012. It seems that the ankle problems last year have really lowered his standing.

I've got to imagine the Twins are looking hard for another OF at this point because they can't possibly have full confidence in Hicks and outside of him Presley is the only CF (and above-average defensive OF) on the 40-man.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    That fact that the press release says he was outrighted means he already cleared waivers. This appears to be his first outright assignment, so he shouldn't be able to refuse it (and become a free agent) as far as I know.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My question is, who spells Presley in center if Hicks can't break camp with the club? What is or Centerfield depth? I thought he was the best option to be taken off the 40.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    He'll still only be a phone call away (as of now). Ideally, the 4th OF can play CF, but they went a long time last year without doing that (and I think many of us wondered about it). I still think Mastro competes for that 4th OF/CF job in Spring Training, the pitching log-jam will have to work itself out and that will create roster spaces when the 25-man has to be set.

As much as I like Mastro (and I really do), you can find a spare-part OF just like him at almost any time on the waiver wire.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    That fact that the press release says he was outrighted means he already cleared waivers. This appears to be his first outright assignment, so he shouldn't be able to refuse it (and become a free agent) as far as I know.
    Yeah, how many threads have we discussed who gets DFA'd and no one caught word that one actually happened. How do the Twins keeps this stuff so cloak and dagger? No one from another front office saw the DFA listing and leaked it to any kind of media member? Did none of the Twins beat guys ask who was getting DFA'd, or did the front office simply refuse to answer?

Is there some centralized DFA process that is open to everyone to view but no one bothered reporting the lowley Darin Mastroianni?

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post

I've got to imagine the Twins are looking hard for another OF at this point because they can't possibly have full confidence in Hicks and outside of him Presley is the only CF (and above-average defensive OF) on the 40-man.
    I wouldn't be so sure about this, but I hope you are correct.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think they'll give Hicks another shot. But I didn't think it would be right out of ST.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No surprise here, however, I suspected Colabello would be DFA'd. Maybe they feared a team will claim him.

While not ideal, Arcia could play center for a game or two to give the starter a breather. He did play some in the lower minors. And of course, there is always the possibility that Hicks is the 4th outfielder. Hicks could also play well enough to earn the starter's job with Presley as the backup.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Bummer

He was so fired up last year down here about the season, and then lost it to injury. I'll bet he's been working all off season, and fired up about this one too. I give him a good chance to make the team this spring anyway. He'll certainly give it all he's got.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Berardino is reporting that Mastro signed a split-contract last month. This should also help explain how Fryer's spot isn't 100% secured.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Yeah, how many threads have we discussed who gets DFA'd and no one caught word that one actually happened. How do the Twins keeps this stuff so cloak and dagger? No one from another front office saw the DFA listing and leaked it to any kind of media member? Did none of the Twins beat guys ask who was getting DFA'd, or did the front office simply refuse to answer?
    When you DFA someone you have a 10-day window to remove the player from the roster, the first seven generally to work out a trade before placing on the 72-hour waivers. You can skip the trade window, if you want, and place a player on outright waivers immediately, which I'm sure is what the Twins did here. You don't always know a player was placed on waivers until they're claimed, while you do typically hear that a player is DFA'd right away.

15. This user likes Jeremy Nygaard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (12-23-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Danchat, I hardly think any team would fear losing Colabello, in fact most would welcome it. What is the fascination with him anyway? He is already thirty years old and simply cannot hit MLB pitching nor can he play decently in the field either.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this is all about that more moves may be coming. Twins are just clearing roster spots, so players may be added without having to move a player immediately. I agree that the pitching staff will be sorted out in ST and at least a few will be removed from the 40 man roster.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 65 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Danchat, I hardly think any team would fear losing Colabello, in fact most would welcome it. What is the fascination with him anyway? He is already thirty years old and simply cannot hit MLB pitching nor can he play decently in the field either.
    He didn't have great success in the majors but then again lots of players struggle when they are brought up for the first and even second time. The numbers he put up in AAA were impressive and he was named MVP of that league as well. I don't think there are too many prospects that accomplish that ever. As for age several teams just invested 5, 6 or 7 years in 30 year old free agents so I hardly think his time has run out yet. Personally I think a lot of teams wouldn't mind having a guy like that in their system.

Chris Colabello (30) of Framingham, Mass., hit .352 with 24 home runs and 76 RBIs in 89 games with the Rochester Red Wings. He finished the season first in the International League in batting average, slugging percentage (.639), and on-base percentage (.427) en route to league MVP and Rookie of the Year honors. The Minnesota Twins signed the first baseman as a Minor League free agent in February 2012.

19. This user likes Dman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TwinVike61 (12-23-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    This mean willingham is in the field......I assume. Great plan, signing fly ball pitchers, with this defense.
    Lighten up Francis....

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think outrighting Mastro means that he won't be the fourth OF to start the season. It simply means that he was expendable enough to get through waivers. Mastroianni needs to prove that he is all the way back from his injury. this move does mean they won't designate a pitcher who may or may not get through waivers, so most likely all the guys on the 40-man will get a chance to compete for a spot on the Twins' staff.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    This mean willingham is in the field......I assume. Great plan, signing fly ball pitchers, with this defense.
    Mike, believe it or not when you're revamping a starting rotation, the most important consideration is not your outfield defense. Regardless, there are some on this board who feel our outfield defense will be very good in the not too distant future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast