Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Keeping the Dream Alive

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Keeping the Dream Alive

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I enjoyed watching all of these players and their stories. I wish that Colabello could've had more success. Will be interesting to see if he can adjust to MLB pitching standing so far off the plate. Bernier could certainly get another shot as there doesnt seem to be many utility players in the upper minors. Albers with a successful start could be on the verge of a callup if Gibson, Meyer, or May struggle. I'm sure Thielbar is already locked into the '14 bullpen lefty role.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    All of these guys have shown they at least deserve a shot to make the team out of spring training.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All of them are great stories, but here is the question:

Do they ever make it in the bigs (other than as September call ups) in a team that is competing for the World Series? Doubtful. The fact that they did, speaks more about the horrible shape the Twins have been. Likely not a single one of them will make the 2014 Twins' team (and that would not be a bad thing)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry if I have a hard time going all the way on these three players. To me this is indicative of a team that doesn't really have anything to dream on. Give me an Aaron Hicks or a Sano or a Buxton. That's something to dream on. These guys made it to the majors because a team had nothing on its roster to keep them in the Minor Leagues. I'm getting a little tired of trying to get juiced about a journeyman player who gets a cup of coffee after a decade. If we're the Yankees, that's potentially a great story. Because we are the Twins, it's just pathetic. I mean, what other team would give these guys a chance?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    Sorry if I have a hard time going all the way on these three players. To me this is indicative of a team that doesn't really have anything to dream on. Give me an Aaron Hicks or a Sano or a Buxton. That's something to dream on. These guys made it to the majors because a team had nothing on its roster to keep them in the Minor Leagues. I'm getting a little tired of trying to get juiced about a journeyman player who gets a cup of coffee after a decade. If we're the Yankees, that's potentially a great story. Because we are the Twins, it's just pathetic. I mean, what other team would give these guys a chance?
    You don't think the Yankees would have given the International League MVP a chance?
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Great stories. Happy that each of them lived their dreams. Not all of us get to do that. Good for them.

8. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (12-23-2013)

Thrylos & OldTwinsCap, Seth opens the article by first acknowledging what we all know-the season was difficult for MN and their fans.

You both obviously love baseball deeply. We all want our favorite team to win it all every year. That won't happen. One of the things I love most about baseball is how a long, bad season can produce a fantastic game on a given day. And just one or two steps back from that, I see a parallel-a poor team can produce compelling storylines. Sure, these storylines probably wouldn't happen if the Twins were at the top of the division in 2013, but they weren't. That doesn't mean we don't get to enjoy them.

If you really love baseball, you gotta understand that right? It's what makes guys like us something more than just football fans. InsertSmileyFaceEmoticonHere

10. These 4 users like PopRiveter's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (12-24-2013), Oldgoat_MN (12-29-2013), Riverbrian (12-29-2013), Tibs (12-24-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PopRiveter View Post
    Thrylos & OldTwinsCap, Seth opens the article by first acknowledging what we all know-the season was difficult for MN and their fans.

If you really love baseball, you gotta understand that right? It's what makes guys like us something more than just football fans. InsertSmileyFaceEmoticonHere
    You know, once every couple of years, if there are stories like this, that's great. But, when it becomes the only story, and it has these last three years, it really starts to wear on a fan. Not to beat a dead horse, but, the Twins have kind of become a one-trick pony in regard to their roster: guys who can't make it on any other team. It's tiring. I'm afraid I'm going to die without ever seeing another competitive baseball squad in Minnesota. I want more than a heart-warming story about a mediocre ball-player who once made it to the majors on a 90-loss team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    All of them are great stories, but here is the question:

Do they ever make it in the bigs (other than as September call ups) in a team that is competing for the World Series? Doubtful. The fact that they did, speaks more about the horrible shape the Twins have been. Likely not a single one of them will make the 2014 Twins' team (and that would not be a bad thing)
    Albers and Theilbar might have got called up on any team if the injury situation presented itself.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    Old Twins Cap nails it perfectly as far as I am concerned as does Thrylos, these feel good stories are getting awfully old and tiresome. Let me see some real prospects coming up not "never will be's", we know the difference, let's not try to sugar coat it all.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Old Twins Cap nails it perfectly as far as I am concerned as does Thrylos, these feel good stories are getting awfully old and tiresome. Let me see some real prospects coming up not "never will be's", we know the difference, let's not try to sugar coat it all.
    Arcia's Debut and a breakout year at second base combined with two of the top three and seven of the top 100 prospects has made the Twins more interesting than the Vikings for me to talk about DURING FOOTBALL SEASON! I also think AAA international league player of the year numbers can bring a cup of coffee to anyone. Cola and Thielbar earned it!!
    The Bleh in the line up was PJ Wilson, Clete Thomas, Wilkin Ramirez, Cole DeVries, Liam Hendricks, Etc. That have already been cut.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    PS, great story Seth, Thank You

Great article Seth. Yes, good that these guys got to live out their dreams. I agree with Thrylos that on a contending team, it is likely that only one (or none) would have made it. However, these guys do add something good to a very forgettable season. I hope all these guys go to spring training (whether DFAd or not) and give it their best shot.

17. These 2 users like DAM DC Twins Fans's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (12-29-2013), Tibs (12-24-2013)

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    If these types interest you, great.

They don't interest me in the least. I want to see the Twins bring upi players who can lead them back to the WS. I don't watch the news for human interest stories, nor do I watch MLB for them.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Twins Cap View Post
    You know, once every couple of years, if there are stories like this, that's great. But, when it becomes the only story, and it has these last three years, it really starts to wear on a fan. Not to beat a dead horse, but, the Twins have kind of become a one-trick pony in regard to their roster: guys who can't make it on any other team. It's tiring. I'm afraid I'm going to die without ever seeing another competitive baseball squad in Minnesota. I want more than a heart-warming story about a mediocre ball-player who once made it to the majors on a 90-loss team.
    Any way you can hold on 'til 2015?

I love these kinds of stories. It keeps me coming back. There is always a role for role players on successful teams. Colabello, Thielbar, Albers could all be part of a successful team — maybe not fulltime everyday players. The comments are right -- they won't be stars, but look at the '87 team. Joe Klink relieved for 12 games. Billy Beane (yes, that's right) played 12 games. Roy Smith started one game and relieved in six others. Even a WS team cannot have 25 Buxtons. You need all kinds of players, even role players who will never get more than a cup of tea.

21. These 2 users like Steve_h's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Seth Stohs (12-24-2013), Tibs (12-24-2013)

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm wondering who will succeed Thielbar. Pinto, Tonkin, Meyer, Sano, and Buxton all seem like the best candidates.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Alright... Merry Christmas!!

24. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Thrylos (12-24-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    I guess I don't get all the angst for these players. Yes they all struggled at the major league level but they were at or near the top of their peers in AAA. How many prospects have had a season at AAA like CC? Just because he didn't adjust to MLB pitching right away he sucks? Like any one with those numbers he has a legitimate chance to be a star. He is 30. So are several free agents and teams went 6 or 7 years with some of them. Why go negative?

Albers pitched better than Gibson in AAA and the majors. Why does only Albers suck? His slow fastball and pinpoint accuracy somehow worked better than the prospect touted to be a number 3 starter. Albers will never be an ace but neither will 90% of the pitchers currently in baseball, does that mean he isn't needed in a rotation? We just signed Coreia and Pelfrey to be essentially the same kind of pitcher he is. We need guys with upside and he could fill a roll on any team in MLB.

Thielbar held his own in the pen and was a better option than many in MLB. Is he a closer no, but lots of teams had worse options than the Thielbar last year. We got him for free he has been a good place holder until someone better knocks him off the roster or we get value back by trading him. He is still a good story and positive for the Twins.

I kind of despise it when people use stats to pump up why there prospect is good and then ignore them when it suits their needs. These guys had great years at AAA. It didn't translate immediately to MLB. That doesn't mean they are not or will not be better than lot's of current MLB players.

Personally I like the Twins approach. Find talent anywhere you can. Who cares where it comes from. who cares how old someone is if they can hit 25 home runs for you. Be patient and see if their skills will translate to MLB. Who knows you might find a star outside the draft but you'll never know unless you try.

26. This user likes Dman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (12-24-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast