Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Tonkin

Congrats Michael, I hope for more of the same

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kevin Goldstein at Baseball Prospectus went the MWL All-Star game, and had some interesting stuff on Tonkin
    (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=17433)

If I told you about a 30th-round pick from the 2008 draft who was spending his third year in the Midwest League, You wouldn't be too interested, but in Michael Tonkin's case, you should be. The Twins farmhand has taken a huge step forward in 2012, and in 22 games, he has a 1.38 ERA with 53 strikeouts in 39 innings against just nine walks. More importantly the six-foot-seven right-hander pounds the strike zone with a 95-96 mph fastball as well as a much improved low-80s slider. He was certainly the the surprise of the night.
    So that's good news!

Thanks for posting that, I'm really excited for Michael. He looks to be a really good one, I hope his success continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I just have a hard time finding names of guys who got to the big leagues that immediately had sustained success and for sure they were held back too slowly.
    Sorry, but doesnt have to be major league talent for a guy not to be promoted when they have deserved it. Mn does not have the attitude to promote a guy when they have earned it.....they promote when service time dictates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I just have a hard time finding names of guys who got to the big leagues that immediately had sustained success and for sure they were held back too slowly.

Matt Hauser is an example....24 yr old guy who's been great in Ft Myers for 2 yrs but no promotion when a guy like Edgar Ibarra gets promoted after struggling thru the system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12