Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Not Hearing Much About Worley

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    People are making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

1. Unless Gibson has an amazing spring, he should start the season in AAA.
    2. Trade Correia for the right offer. If the right offer doesn't come until July, so be it.
    3. Release Diamond.
    4. Unless Deduno's shoulder is ruined, he deserves the last spot in the rotation.
    5. The fact that Worley is out of options should have no bearing on him making the team. If he's not one of the best 12, try sending him down, and if he's claimed, so be it.

In a matter of minutes I just solved the problem.
    I agree with much of your solution. However, since he is left handed and breathing, I think Diamond deserves a chance to win a starting spot. Certainly, Diamond was not highly regarded before 2012, but he put together a quality season just last year, including a 116 ERA+. That ERA+ has been exceeded in a full season (150 IP+) by the four free agent starters signed by the Twins exactly one time (Ricky Nolasco in 2008). I'm still amazed how we fans can go ga-ga over Jeff Johnson, Tim Lincecum or Hughes, but be so sour on Worley or Diamond. Of all the free agent pitchers available the last two years, most have been dreadful at least one year, and if they haven't been dreadful they've been injured. Reliable, durable, high quality starting pitching is indeed a rare commodity. Rare commodities cost a lot to acquire and retain which is why real aces make great money.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just an observation.

There is a lot of debate over the value of Worley, one and a half quality seasons of MLB work, and Diamond, almost a full year of quality work, and their potential long term, and as rebound candidates.

But I do find it interesting that nobody includes Andrew Albers in any of the discussions. Now I know his stuff is pretty limited, and that he's already probably seen his 15 minutes or so of glory and fame, however, I do find it curious he's never mentioned. After his first couple of wonderful starts/moments of glory, he fell back to earth. Though he didn't pitch all that poorly in some of his remaining starts. Despite his limitations, I found his approach to be fun to watch. He worked quickly for the most part, he seemed to attack hitters, and he didn't seem intimidated. While his final numbers were helped out by his first couple of starts, his overall ERA was 4.05 with a 1.18 WHIP, slightly higher hits per inning, and a 3-1 strikeout to walk rate.

Again, just an observation.

Blog Entries
    That was a really good post above, Doc Bauer. I like your comment about the rotation, but I see a real parallel with Aaron Hicks. The thought is that if the young high-potential guy wins out, he then and only then should get the reps. Aaron Hicks needs to show he's ready to play in the majors and he will have to do that in Rochester, I think. I hope that he shows he's ready by sometime in May, but that is up to him. Best wishes to both Gibson and Hicks. The season is incredibly long and if both those guys are big contributors by midseason, we'll all have forgotten the guys who they displaced.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    Just an observation.

There is a lot of debate over the value of Worley, one and a half quality seasons of MLB work, and Diamond, almost a full year of quality work, and their potential long term, and as rebound candidates.

But I do find it interesting that nobody includes Andrew Albers in any of the discussions. Now I know his stuff is pretty limited, and that he's already probably seen his 15 minutes or so of glory and fame, however, I do find it curious he's never mentioned. After his first couple of wonderful starts/moments of glory, he fell back to earth. Though he didn't pitch all that poorly in some of his remaining starts. Despite his limitations, I found his approach to be fun to watch. He worked quickly for the most part, he seemed to attack hitters, and he didn't seem intimidated. While his final numbers were helped out by his first couple of starts, his overall ERA was 4.05 with a 1.18 WHIP, slightly higher hits per inning, and a 3-1 strikeout to walk rate.

Albers didn't sustain his success very long, and he is older. I don't think he will have much luck going forward, but he'll get his chance this year in Spring Training.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    But I do find it interesting that nobody includes Andrew Albers in any of the discussions.
    To me Logan Darnell is closer to the discussion than Albers. Stringer nailed my reasons - age and a lack of past success. Worley and Diamond have both been very solid MLB starters very recently, whereas Albers made a couple nice starts before reality set in.

As for your earlier point about the offense, I just don't see enough upside bats in the lineup for an improvement to take place. I think Dozier comes down, Mauer/Pinto isn't likely to be as good as Mauer/Morneau (sad, I know), and most of the rest of the positions don't have a lot of growth room. Only a huge jump by Arcia seems plausible to me, but I worry that the Ks at the end of the year are going to force him to adjust in AAA for awhile this year.

I agree the rotation is going to be much better (I'm really bullish on Hughes personally) but I think the offense might actually be worse. Or marginally better at best. But hopefully some young guys surprise us.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really interesting thread. While the nominal topic is Worley, it seems like "how will/should the #4/#5 spots in the Twins rotation shake out, especially given out-of-option type considerations?"

Here are a few points to add.
    1) When all else is basically equal, the Twins usually side with out-of-options guys. Therefore, I would expect to see Worley, Deduno and Diamond on the roster in some form sooner than Gibson, even if he nothing to prove in AAA.

2)Presly had to be rostered all year last year as a Rule 5, and can be sent down with an option this year.

3)Trading from the bullpen makes a ton of sense...Swarzak might be an attractive chip. Perhaps a different thread could focus on a number of the bullpen guys...Duensing, Fien, Burton, Thielbar?

4)The biggest point of contention on this thread is Correia and whether he gets a scholarship/earned a rotation spot/is blocking guys with more upside. This proves the point that everyone made last year about the signing: WHY did he get two years?!? Would be in such a better situation if he, or anyone, was just signed for 2013.

5) That said, I am going to love seeing people's heads explode around here when TR announces the three-year, $17.5 million extension for Correia.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just an observation.

Albers was a good story last year. But he is one of those short shelf life pitchers who succeeds initially because of a funky delivery. When the league figured him out, he was toast.

To a lesser extent, that is what guides my position on Diamond mad Worley. In the age of patient hitters, a pitcher needs at least one plus pitch to be successful long term. Control pitchers have trouble being consistent because hitters wait them out and clobber their mistakes.

So why was Correia successful last year? Some of it was the hitters' unfamiliarity. He dominated early and was mediocre the rest of the time. But he did adjust late, and that is what he has done throughout his career. His ability to make adjustments sets him apart from the other two. Can they make adjustments? Sure. But they have not shown it yet.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    People are making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

1. Unless Gibson has an amazing spring, he should start the season in AAA.
    2. Trade Correia for the right offer. If the right offer doesn't come until July, so be it.
    3. Release Diamond.
    4. Unless Deduno's shoulder is ruined, he deserves the last spot in the rotation.
    5. The fact that Worley is out of options should have no bearing on him making the team. If he's not one of the best 12, try sending him down, and if he's claimed, so be it.

In a matter of minutes I just solved the problem.
    I can appreciate where you are coming from but I don't think you have to create a situation where you sell low on both Diamond and Worley. For example, Swarzak would bring a decent prospect. Let Diamond / Worley & others compete for that spot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    It's been an interesting discussion as there are valid points on both sides and it seems to come down to our own individual approach to how a baseball team should be built. The bottom line for me is that it is important for the team to get better immediately.

However I am worried they could be sacrificing long term value for marginal increase in success (depending on who you don't like: Hughes, Pelfrey, or Correia), even if I like the overall approach. We're not talking about an option here between Diamond and Anibal Sanchez.

If any of the pitchers -- that are now out of options -- we're talking about (Worley, Deduno, Diamond) could become solid #4 or #5, that has a lot of value at their contract level for multiple years. It's possible that they won't, but this is a season where it might be worth a couple of wins to leave room and give a couple of them a last shot.

For those looking at creative solutions, I hope you are correct, that the Twins will figure out a way to create some space and get something of value in return. I'm not as confident, but they did do it to some extent on the offensive side, where it looked like they were getting heavy with DH types, and it's similar in a lot of ways here.
    Last edited by Alex; 12-28-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What I think is this: Nolasco and Correia are basically locks for the rotation to begin the year, if healthy. Based on what they did last year and the money in Nolasco's case. Many of you seem to consider Hughes and Pelfrey locks as well, but I doubt if that is the case. Neither pitched well enough last year to earn that status. While they may have a leg up based on the money they will be earning, I think either could be forced to the bullpen to begin the year given the right set of circumstances.

If they are all on the roster at the beginning of spring training and healthy, I would expect Deduno, Diamond and Worley to be given reasonable chances to begin the year in the rotation. That could be possibly true of Gibson as well, but you can only stretch so many guys out during ST. Either Hughes or Pelfrey could be considered reasonable fits in the bullpen to begin the year, so if a couple of the above guys outperform them during ST, it wouldn't surprise me to see Hughes or Pelfrey in the bullpen to begin the year.

No matter what happens to begin the year, it is pretty likely that things will change as the season goes along. We all expect/hope that Gibson will force himself into the rotation early in the year. Depending on how things go, it wouldn't be surprising for Meyer to do the same. Certainly, whoever starts the year in the bullpen among the group of Deduno, Worley, Diamond, Hughes and Pelfrey could get moved back to the rotation pretty easily.

I realize that the financial committment to Hughes and to some degree Pelfrey, means that that the Twins view them as starters. But I expect that is long term. In the short term other considerations might enter in. I expect these two will have to "earn" starter jobs in spring training.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    What I think is this: Nolasco and Correia are basically locks for the rotation to begin the year, if healthy. Based on what they did last year and the money in Nolasco's case. Many of you seem to consider Hughes and Pelfrey locks as well, but I doubt if that is the case. Neither pitched well enough last year to earn that status. While they may have a leg up based on the money they will be earning, I think either could be forced to the bullpen to begin the year given the right set of circumstances.
    I have to disagree with this. The Twins didn't sign Hughes to a 3 year deal and Pelfrey to a 2 year deal so they could earn a spot in the rotation. MLB contracts are guaranteed. This isn't like the NFL where if the guy doesn't pan out, you can cut him. These two, baring injury or trade, will be in the opening day 5 starters along with Nolasco and KC. There's only 1 spot open. That's why the Pelfrey signing supprised me... The Twins can get around some of it by putting Gibson in AAA to start the year and Deduno on the DL if they feel he's still not ready. I just personally think that Gibson should have been in the rotation to start the year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I have to disagree with this. The Twins didn't sign Hughes to a 3 year deal and Pelfrey to a 2 year deal so they could earn a spot in the rotation. MLB contracts are guaranteed. This isn't like the NFL where if the guy doesn't pan out, you can cut him. These two, baring injury or trade, will be in the opening day 5 starters along with Nolasco and KC. There's only 1 spot open. That's why the Pelfrey signing supprised me... The Twins can get around some of it by putting Gibson in AAA to start the year and Deduno on the DL if they feel he's still not ready. I just personally think that Gibson should have been in the rotation to start the year.
    I understand your reasoning, and I do think Pelfrey and Hughes were signed to be starters. But if either struggles this spring, while say Diamond and Worley shine, I can't imagine why the Twins wouldn't put either into the bullpen, at least temporarily. You can't win a division in April and May, but you can pretty well lose it then. You put your best team on the field at whatever point of the season it is. The Twins probably don't have a great chance to be a contender, but if either Hughes or Pelfrey don't show themselves ready to start, to begin the year, well you know what the Twins should do.

I assume really, that is the reason the Twins went for overkill in starters this year. So that if somebody struggles they have reasonable alternatives rather than resorting to Pedro Hernandez or P. J. Walter. So, yes, given the right set of circumstances I expect that if either Pelfrey or Hughes struggle even in ST, they might begin the year in the bullpen. I also expect the Twins would prefer them to start. So there would have to be clear differences in performance for them not to.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    One further point about Hughes. He has been at best, a back of the rotation starter for 3 years now. He couldn't hold a rotation spot in a relatively weak Yankee rotation last year. The Twins know this. They signed him because of his "upside" and all the other reasons that have been talked about on this site. Still, if he doesn't deserve to be in the rotation at the beginning of the year, they won't put him there. They have choices, and they can still work with him in the bullpen and eventually move back to the rotation. I don't think the 3 year contract or the money should be a factor in that kind of decision. I rather expect that it won't be, either.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    One further point about Hughes.
    This has been a big part of my problem with the opposing view - guys like Pelfrey and Hughes were bad last year too and are getting a free pass into the rotation on upside. I'd just like that same mentality carried to a few other guys - favor upside over low floor.

But I totally disagree with the idea that Diamond, Worley, Deduno, Gibson, Albers or anyone else has a prayer of beating out Hughes or Pelfrey for a spot in ST. I simply can't conceive of a scenario other than injury in which that happens.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The most important aspect of the organization tied to long term health is developing starting pitchers with service time.

Meyer and Gibson have the most upside. Gibson has shown he can get AAA hitters out. The Twins need to invest a spot in the starting rotation towards his development. They need to stick with him through the struggles as they did with Radke and Viola. Meyer needs to be in the rotation early in the season. Hughes and Nolasco are under contract long enough that the Twins need to stick with them through any struggle.

Of the remaining pitcher, Worley probably has the most upside looking forward through 2016.

An outline of a plan to try to develop starting pitching from within. This is not my prediction of what the Twins will do. I would assume Gardenhire will go with veterans with the contracts. I expect young pitchers will be shuttled back and forth to Rochester like Hendriks. Gardenhire is probably fighting for his job. HE may not be willing to invest innings in the struggles of young pitchers adjusting to major league hitting.

Opening day

Nolasco, Hughes, Pelfrey, Correia, Gibson

Worley and Diamond are in pen. If Deduno has a good spring, he is in the rotation and Correia is in pen. This will create a log jam in pen. Perhaps an opportunity to trade Burton will occur. Duensing could be released. Thielbar and Fien have options. The upside of any potential starter must be retained.

May 1

Assuming moderate success in AAA, add Meyer. Correia to pen even if he has his typically strong April. If Deduno was there to start and pitches well, be willing to cut loose Pelfrey. If everyone is pitching well... When was the last time that happened? The only way Meyer shouldn't come up early is if Deduno and Pelfrey are both pitching well. In that case, start looking for a trade partner for Pelfrey.

There will be injuries during the season creating an opportunity for Worley and Diamond to re-establish themselves.

If at the end of the season one of Worley, Diamond and Deduno show that they can be counted on, it will be a success. Gibson and Meyer just need to show signs of hope and be allowed to work through the struggle of adjusting to major league pitching.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Mentioned in this thread is that Correia will at some point go to the pen even early on, somehow I do not think the manager will do that with him, anyone else out there think this way also?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    The four free-agents will be in the rotation--and with a long leash. Tryouts for the fifth spot will be in Spring training. There likely will be some shuttling up/down between candidates--that have available options. Those without options will be waived, and likely claimed. There is a reason that players are only allowed three options. If a guy can't make it here in three trys--well it's time to move on, there are others who are earning their shot(s) too! If the Twins had set the performance bar higher for pitchers, there wouldn't be so much teeth-gnashing and shuffling--they would just conclude a guy wasn't good enough and move on.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Mentioned in this thread is that Correia will at some point go to the pen even early on, somehow I do not think the manager will do that with him, anyone else out there think this way also?
    Of course he won't be sent to the bullpen early on. He has earned the opportunity to start. The difference this year(hopefully) is that whoever begins the year in the starting rotation will not stay there if he isn't pitching well. That shouldn't mean he will be removed after one or two bad starts, but there should be depth and hopefully guys pitching well at AAA that a series of poor starts will lead to a different and hopefully better starter.

I also think that the idea that Hughes represents some sort of great upside is overrated. In his best season as a starter he was a mid-rotation starter. I expect he has a better chance to reach that upside consistently in Minnesota than he did in New York. I am not so sure that upside is much greater than that of Worley or Deduno. The key for any of them is good health or durability and few, really none of the candidates have demonstrated that.

I am not so sure I understand the idea of filling the rotation with the highest "upside" guys and just leaving them there whether they are struggling or not. Let's put the guys into the rotation who are pitching the best and force the rest to earn their opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Considering they didn't do that last year with Worley and save an option year, no.

I am not so sure I understand the idea of filling the rotation with the highest "upside" guys and just leaving them there whether they are struggling or not. Let's put the guys into the rotation who are pitching the best and force the rest to earn their opportunities.
    This is the crux of the argument in that, as things stand now, they'll likely won't get that chance with the Twins because they'll be picked up off waivers. So -- again, if no other moves are made -- the Twins will lose the chance to see if those players do have a high upside.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast