Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 85

Thread: Adios Chris (Colabello)

  1. #61
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    292
    Like
    4
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    with Fryer not having much of flexibility to play elsewhere?
    In the minors Fryer played 141 games in the outfield compared to Herrmann 208.
    I really don't see them carrying 3 in the 25 man roster.
    I agree with this. They shouldn't carry three catchers. I think Seth has it right. It's either Suzuki/Pinto or Suzuki/Fryer. There's really nothing Herrmann does better than Fryer.

  2. #62
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,439
    Like
    180
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    I've tried to bring (my view) of reality about Chris Herrmann. While I don't consider him more than a role player as a third catcher/outfielder, he does hit left handed and play a decent corner outfield. He has more major league experience at a younger age than Eric Fryer. While I didn't pencil him in to make the 2014 Opening Day roster, I think he is a bit better of a bet than 50%. I wasn't aware that Fryer had logged considerable innings in the outfield in the minors, but I still see Herrmann as the more versatile player with the added advantage that he hits lefty, while none of the other Twins catching candidates do so.

  3. #63
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    So what do Terry and the Twins think of this decision? Is this similar to Hicks deciding not to play winter ball?

    When your team decides to sell your rights and you decide not to go, is the writing on the wall? I can't see a scenario where the relationship isn't strained after something like this.

    I completely understand Colabello's desire to not go. Is it worth a million to uproot your whole life and go someplace where you don't know the language, don't know the culture and really don't have any friends or family? I can see his side of things, but where does he now stand with the organization?
    Probally next to Liam Hendriks?

  4. #64
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    In the minors Fryer played 141 games in the outfield compared to Herrmann 208. I agree with this. They shouldn't carry three catchers. I think Seth has it right. It's either Suzuki/Pinto or Suzuki/Fryer. There's really nothing Herrmann does better than Fryer.
    You need to factor in the gardenhire proxie

  5. #65
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I've tried to bring (my view) of reality about Chris Herrmann. While I don't consider him more than a role player as a third catcher/outfielder, he does hit left handed and play a decent corner outfield. He has more major league experience at a younger age than Eric Fryer. While I didn't pencil him in to make the 2014 Opening Day roster, I think he is a bit better of a bet than 50%. I wasn't aware that Fryer had logged considerable innings in the outfield in the minors, but I still see Herrmann as the more versatile player with the added advantage that he hits lefty, while none of the other Twins catching candidates do so.
    You gotta like the left handed bat to switch things up with a righty

  6. #66
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,206
    Like
    362
    Liked 736 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Point is, the Twins need three guys who are primarily catchers in case of injury. Hermann is not primarily a catcher. he's an outfielder who can catch. Ergo, Fryer can't be DFAed. Herman
    I don't see why Mauer cannot function as an emergency catcher if they keep 2... that's just me.. For one game, I don't see it as much a problem. I doubt he does either.

  7. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    johnnydakota (12-22-2013)

  8. #67
    Senior Member Triple-A goulik's Avatar
    Posts
    281
    Like
    39
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    It seems that this thread about CC has been hijacked in favour of a discussion about Catchers... Just saying.

  9. #68
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    142
    Like
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I don't see why Mauer cannot function as an emergency catcher if they keep 2... that's just me.. For one game, I don't see it as much a problem. I doubt he does either.
    Exactly correct. Why clutter the roster with a 3rd catcher in case of emergency, when Mauer is quite capable of finishing a game if necessary. If someone gets hurt, a replacement could be onsite long before the start of the next game.

  10. These 2 users like mudcat14's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    DAM DC Twins Fans (12-22-2013), johnnydakota (12-22-2013)

  11. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat14 View Post
    Exactly correct. Why clutter the roster with a 3rd catcher in case of emergency, when Mauer is quite capable of finishing a game if necessary. If someone gets hurt, a replacement could be onsite long before the start of the next game.
    I had assumed that this would be the case. Isn't the idea to get the best milage out of your 25? The situation has changed now that Mauer is at first, you no longer have the concussion and lower extremity related health issues, if you're not comfortable going into the season with Pinto/Suzuki then what was the point of signing Suzuki? There's got to be a better use of that third roster spot than yet another catcher, or am I really missing something here?

  12. This user likes whatever54's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    johnnydakota (12-22-2013)

  13. #70
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,270
    Like
    32
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    The Twins should not for any reason carry a 3rd catcher but that doesn't mean Fryer should be DFA'd. I would like Fryer and Herrmann in AAA as depth. There are other guys that can be DFA'd.

  14. #71
    Back to the original topic. What happens with Colabello, and the log jam at first base now that he's not going to Korea? As well as the roster spot issue?

  15. #72
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,439
    Like
    180
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever54 View Post
    I had assumed that this would be the case. Isn't the idea to get the best milage out of your 25? The situation has changed now that Mauer is at first, you no longer have the concussion and lower extremity related health issues, if you're not comfortable going into the season with Pinto/Suzuki then what was the point of signing Suzuki? There's got to be a better use of that third roster spot than yet another catcher, or am I really missing something here?
    I certainly agree. Most teams only carry two catchers and probably have about one issue per year where someone other than the catcher has to get behind the dish or they lose their DH. The Twins were in the more rare position where the other catcher was often the DH, but with Mauer now at first and Doumit in the ATL, that will no longer be an issue. I view Herrmann as a player who is as much an outfielder as a catcher. It is a bonus to have a guy on the bench that can also catch. The question is whether Herrmann is a good enough player to merit being on a major league roster, even with the bonus of being a third catcher. I don't think so, but it could be a debatable topic. The way the projected roster shakes out right now, the Twins don't need another weak LH hitter on the bench who is an outfielder. Now if they have such a guy and he is a capable third baseman--that's a horse of another color.

  16. #73
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    286
    Like
    0
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Colabello should be NO part of ever seeing time at first base nor should he even be considered for any kind of roster spot. Oops, Rochester's roster would be ideal for him.

  17. #74
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever54 View Post
    Back to the original topic. What happens with Colabello, and the log jam at first base now that he's not going to Korea? As well as the roster spot issue?
    I don't see a log jam at First. It is Joe Mauer for 140 Plus games. I believe Colabello was deciding between Korea or another organization. I don't believe he has a future with the Twins. He may make it to Rochester, but I don't think he will be on the 25 man roster in 2014.

  18. #75
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    142
    Like
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    I don't see a log jam at First. It is Joe Mauer for 140 Plus games. I believe Colabello was deciding between Korea or another organization. I don't believe he has a future with the Twins. He may make it to Rochester, but I don't think he will be on the 25 man roster in 2014.
    At this time and for the foreseeable future, I think we're only looking at additional 1Bmen on the roster as fill-ins. I wouldn't rule Colabello out just yet. I think it's likely that Arcia, Willingham & Kubel are the front runners for the corner OF/DH positions. CC & Parmelee both figure into the competition as well. Parmelee is younger and a better fielder at each position, but hasn't really shown anything offensively other than his initial September call-up 3 years ago. CC is older but bats right-handed and will be cheaper, longer. Since neither really figures to be anything more than a reserve or platoon player, I think each will be given equal opportunities to win a roster spot. Parmelee has already had two full off-seasons to adjust to major-league pitching and has failed to respond. Maybe CC will be able to repair the holes in his swing and excel. I think he at least warrants, and will get a chance

  19. #76
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,439
    Like
    180
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    A quibble or two mudcat: Parmelee won't be eligible for arbitration for two more years. I really don't think cost matters in any competition between the Chris & Chris. The fact that Colabello has options left, probably matters, but so does his age and lack of ability in the field.

  20. #77
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    142
    Like
    0
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    A quibble or two mudcat: Parmelee won't be eligible for arbitration for two more years. I really don't think cost matters in any competition between the Chris & Chris. The fact that Colabello has options left, probably matters, but so does his age and lack of ability in the field.
    My point is that age really isn't a factor between the Chris's. Unless one of them really explodes in the spring, neither really projects as anything more than a bench option going forward. IF (a big if) Colabello out performs Parmelee in Florida, losing the latter to the DFA list shouldn't factor into roster decisions. Sure the Twins have made a serious investment in Parmelee in terms of time and money, but it's time for him to sh*t or get of the pot. If he can't beat out Colbello, it's time to move on from him.

  21. #78
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,270
    Like
    32
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Despite Colabello being a fringy MLB'er I am a big fan of him.

    His one chance at a roster spot is as a RH'd bench bat but that actually works out OK since Kubel has a chance at winning the DH role. It's not impossible to have a bench with Colabello, Mastro, Escobar and Suzuki. You kind of need someone to platoon with Kubel and Mastro should not be that guy. Parmelee kind of ends up being the odd man out since he's a lefty. Either he needs to beat out Kubel or Arcia starts in AAA imo.

  22. #79
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,439
    Like
    180
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Despite Colabello being a fringy MLB'er I am a big fan of him.

    His one chance at a roster spot is as a RH'd bench bat but that actually works out OK since Kubel has a chance at winning the DH role. It's not impossible to have a bench with Colabello, Mastro, Escobar and Suzuki. You kind of need someone to platoon with Kubel and Mastro should not be that guy. Parmelee kind of ends up being the odd man out since he's a lefty. Either he needs to beat out Kubel or Arcia starts in AAA imo.
    Colabello does provide more balance than Parm. If CC was a capable fielder and Parm had options left, I would see the balance tipped towards the RH hitter. Losing a player because the bench has better balance has not happened a lot for the Twins. I maintain that IMHO Chris Colabello is a great story but he's short on major league talent. I hope he proves me wrong.

  23. #80
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,458
    Like
    64
    Liked 142 Times in 91 Posts
    Blog Entries
    30
    The Twins have 4 bench spots that will be 3 at times when they have a 13 man pitching staff. Whether 3 or 4, there is no space for a bat only player unless they hit like Thome or Ortiz and DH. Colabello will never hit well enough or be useful defensively to have a major league career.

    In the days of 9, 10 or maybe even 11 man pitching staffs there was space for a right handed bench bat. Randy Ruiz could have had a career 40 years ago. Possibly Colabello also. He would at least have been given a long enough look.

    Colabello's only hope is to be on a team that has an opening at 1B. That isn't the Twins. He is the sensible player to remove from the 40.

  24. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    stringer bell (12-23-2013)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.