Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adios Chris (Colabello)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Colabello refused to play to Korea. Back to step 1. They still need a spot on the 40 man roster and it might be Fryer
    It won't be Fryer. He's the third catcher.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The Twins will find out that Mauer at 1b is not a good idea!

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,604 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    The Twins will find out that Mauer at 1b is not a good idea!
    And... Chris Colabello will be... Better?

4. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-21-2013)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    It won't be Fryer. He's the third catcher.
    That would be Herrmann
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Is Mauer 5th catcher?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Colabello did turn down nearly 1 million to continue his dream of playing in the big leaques, Gotta admire his convictions ....

8. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (12-21-2013)

Fryer can't be taken off the 40 man until ST.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Colabello did turn down nearly 1 million to continue his dream of playing in the big leaques, Gotta admire his convictions ....
    So what do Terry and the Twins think of this decision? Is this similar to Hicks deciding not to play winter ball?

When your team decides to sell your rights and you decide not to go, is the writing on the wall? I can't see a scenario where the relationship isn't strained after something like this.

I completely understand Colabello's desire to not go. Is it worth a million to uproot your whole life and go someplace where you don't know the language, don't know the culture and really don't have any friends or family? I can see his side of things, but where does he now stand with the organization?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 382 Times in 234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    So what do Terry and the Twins think of this decision? Is this similar to Hicks deciding not to play winter ball?

When your team decides to sell your rights and you decide not to go, is the writing on the wall? I can't see a scenario where the relationship isn't strained after something like this.

I completely understand Colabello's desire to not go. Is it worth a million to uproot your whole life and go someplace where you don't know the language, don't know the culture and really don't have any friends or family? I can see his side of things, but where does he now stand with the organization?
    It probably depends on if the Twins were shopping him or if the KBO team came knocking at the Twins door. If the Twins DFA him I'm sure they told him that was a strong possibility and he should keep that in mind when making his decision.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Completely agree... I say Good for Him!!!

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 508 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello refused to play to Korea.
    Can't say I blame him. If there is no place for him on an MLB roster - the NPB seems like a much more worthwhile destination financially with a chance to have a fulfilled career baseball wise.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post

I think Terry Ryan is happy with the decision and fully understanding. It's not like the Twins went to the Korea team looking to get rid of CC. The Korea team came to Ryan. It wouldn't have been a trade either. Just a sale. it's happening a lot right now since Korea changed it's rules.

It is nothing like not going to Winter Ball. CC would have been making a decision to leave the Twins. The Twins are likely thrilled to keep him around. Even if they do decide to DFA him, they will hope like crazy that he clears and stays in the organization.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    That would be Herrmann
    My guess is Fryer is the #3 catcher. I think he's pretty safe on the roster...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I like Colabello even more after this. Turned down money to keep going after his dream.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The way I see it is that Herrmann is a third catcher. Fryer is a backup catcher. If the Twins keep two catchers and one of them isn't Pinto, it wouldn't surprise me at all for Fryer to make the club. If Pinto and Suzuki are the two catchers, Herrmann has a chance to make the club as a PH/C/OF.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Which roster Seth? The 40-man or do you mean he is safe to make the team out of Spring Training?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    And all 3 Right handed and with Fryer not having much of flexibility to play elsewhere? I really don't see them carrying 3 in the 25 man roster. And I suspect that the emergency C will not have to be Escobar these days, but that guy at 1B who may handle it better if needed.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Which roster Seth? The 40-man or do you mean he is safe to make the team out of Spring Training?
    40 man...

I think that the 25 man will either be Pinto and Suzuki, or Suzuki and Fryer. (depending on Pinto, of course)

I also agree that Herrmann is a Third Catcher moreso than a backup catcher.

Blog Entries
    That would be Herrmann
    I disagree. Hermann is a converted catcher. He's still better at playing the outfeld than catching. He might make the team out of spring training because of his versatility. But Fryer is the only guy who could step in on a regular basis in case of injury, especially injury to Suzuki.

Blog Entries
    And all 3 Right handed and with Fryer not having much of flexibility to play elsewhere? I really don't see them carrying 3 in the 25 man roster. And I suspect that the emergency C will not have to be Escobar these days, but that guy at 1B who may handle it better if needed.
    Point is, the Twins need three guys who are primarily catchers in case of injury. Hermann is not primarily a catcher. he's an outfielder who can catch. Ergo, Fryer can't be DFAed. Herman

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast