Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do at DH?

Junior Member Rookie Collin Kottke's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

What would you do at DH?

After the Doumit trade I started thinking about what I want the Twins to do with the DH spot. I concluded (over at Puckett's Pond) that I want Josh Willingham to be the full-time DH and improve the defense out in left field.

I'm curious what others think about this. It's been consuming me the past couple of days.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,514 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you want to field the best team possible, Willingham should DH.

If you want to keep Josh's trade value higher, Willingham should be LF.

Personally, I think Josh should DH, at least when Hughes is on the mound. I don't want that poor guy pitching while Arcia and Willingham bumble around the OF.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that you trade Willingham now, sign someone like Michael Young to keep 3B warm for Sano and be in the DH rotation, and move Plouffe full time at OF/DH. Have an DH rotation of Plouffe, Kubel, (with Arcia and Young taking breathers there). Full time OF of Plouffe-Hicks-Arcia (L-R) with Presley as late inning replacement/4th OF.

This would work for me. Just don't want to see Willingham on the field again, and I know that if he is around Gardy will play him.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

4. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (12-20-2013)

Well if sano makes the team, plouffe and kubel should platoon.

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Kubel makes the team, he should really only be the DH and pinch hitter. Willingham should get some reps at DH but it looks like he will play some LF. Parmelee perhaps? *Gets hit with a baseball*

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it will primarily be Kubel, with Hammer getting several starts against LH pitching. If Colabello makes the club, he might get quite a few starts at DH vs. left handers.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Willingham for sure, with good defenders in the OF. This is a fly ball staff. If you are just trading willingham, no reason to sign Pelfrey, IMO.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If you are just trading willingham, no reason to sign Pelfrey, IMO.
    Actually it is the opposite, if you sign Pelfrey who had a horrible .337 BABIP because of the likes of Willingham and Doumit and Parmelee & Co in the corner OF positions, you got to get rid of them to make your team successful... Am I missing something here?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure why some TD posters think Plouffe is a viable option for playing the outfield. Almost 2 years ago, Ryan said that Plouffe tried, but is not an option for playing the outfield - his transition did not go so well. Plouffe is probably 3B or bust... maybe some DH duty,

Preferably, I would like to see Willingham at DH, as I think Kubel is a better outfielder than Willingham. Neither is very good, but from the days of past watching Kubel play LF or RF - he is way more fluid.

I do agree with Beauchamp, that playing Willingham in LF would increase his trade value to a certain degree, which is undefinable at this time.

I hope that is what happens.
    We will rise from the killing floor... like a Matador.

11. This user likes Bark's Lounge's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (12-20-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    History has shown that Gardenhire will use many line-ups in April--baseball's version of whack-a-mole. I would expect that Parmelee is the RF most days, Willingham the LF most days, and Arcia plays about as many in RF as he does in LF. There will be several DHs. Kubel is in Rochester at first, but if anybody (other than Willingham) "messes-up"--Kubel will replace him and will play the OF as much as he DHs. Plouffe is a fixture at 3B--unless he "pulls a Valencia", then we might see a merry-go-round there. There should be a contest for the exact number of line-ups used in April (disregarding the SP)--I got 19!

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I think that you trade Willingham now, sign someone like Michael Young to keep 3B warm for Sano and be in the DH rotation, and move Plouffe full time at OF/DH. Have an DH rotation of Plouffe, Kubel, (with Arcia and Young taking breathers there). Full time OF of Plouffe-Hicks-Arcia (L-R) with Presley as late inning replacement/4th OF.

This would work for me. Just don't want to see Willingham on the field again, and I know that if he is around Gardy will play him.
    Young makes trevor look like a good fielding 3rd basemen , 3 years ago, maybe a different story

14. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

raindog (12-21-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    History has shown that Gardenhire will use many line-ups in April--baseball's version of whack-a-mole. I would expect that Parmelee is the RF most days, Willingham the LF most days, and Arcia plays about as many in RF as he does in LF. There will be several DHs. Kubel is in Rochester at first, but if anybody (other than Willingham) "messes-up"--Kubel will replace him and will play the OF as much as he DHs. Plouffe is a fixture at 3B--unless he "pulls a Valencia", then we might see a merry-go-round there. There should be a contest for the exact number of line-ups used in April (disregarding the SP)--I got 19!
    How many games do we have in April? subtract 3 and thats my guess

16. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (12-21-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 168 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate sounding like a broken record, but....

Willingham needs to be the primary DH now. I don't buy him playing LF on a consistent basis to provide trade value. If teams don't know what he brings, or doesn't, defensively by now, that is on them. It's about tutting the best every day lineup on the field and at the plate. Healthy this year, I expect him to resort to solid career norms, which is still potent, if not quite up to 2012 production. Molitor provides the perfect tutor to ease him in to this new role. And he can still play the occasional LF, at least in NL parks.

Kubel or Parmalee, if either prove themselves and make the club, can help off the bench and DH on occasion. And I'm not so sure I look at Willingham necessarily as trade bait. Granted the Twins could look elsewhere next offseason for a new DH, but if Willingham does rebound, not sure i wouldn't be opposed to keeping him all year with the idea of resigning. Just a thought.

i still believe Hicks is a big key to next season. He was rushed, and we all know that. But he has tremendous talent still. Don't let one rushed and failed attempt fool you. I even like him not playing winter ball this year for a break to gather himself, as long as he gets his work in. Carew has even said the same. We saw improvement before injury, the talent is still there, he's always needed a little time to adjust to the next level, and it was just reported he hd a strong finish to his AAA season and might have been their best player the final weeks.

Arcia n RF, Hicks in CF (.230-.250 with power, speed, defense), Presley and Mastro (or a possible insurance signing/trade to come) with Willingham a DH is our best option.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I want Hammer and Arcia in the lineup everyday. After that, play platoons/matchups. If we're not going to upgrade CF, SS, C or 3B then the corner OF needs to hit. Defense should be a secondary consideration IMO.

19. These 2 users like Willihammer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (12-22-2013), USAFChief (12-20-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

Personally, I think Josh should DH, at least when Hughes is on the mound. I don't want that poor guy pitching while Arcia and Willingham bumble around the OF.
    I disagree a bit, having Hammer be a DH 3/4 of the time while spending some time out in LF as a 4th OF to rest the other guys once a week keeps his legs fresh & hopefully able to stay healthy. Teams know his defensive short comings & ability in LF. As long as he is healthy enough to play it once a week it will not hurt his trade value. Staying healthy will improve it more than playing spotty LF full time.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly the DH options this year & next are very very blah.

Morales will cost a pick as would Butler next year. They both will get ore than I would like to spend on a full time DH.

Kubel/Hammer platoon at DH if Kubel can find find some return to form vs RHP even going into 2015. 7-8 Mill combined would likely get them back on 1 year deals.

Parmelee/Plouffe DH platoon wouldnt be the end of the world for 1 year.

Niether of those options excites me at all but that would keep the seat warm for Vargas or Walker to come in as the DH come 2016.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presley-Hicks-Arcia/Kubel in the OF with Kubel/Arcia at DH for many games against righties (Willingham is in many of those games too), and Willingham-Hicks-Plouffe (post Sano arrival) against lefties doesn't seem too crazy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

Willingham's trade value is higher if he's healthy which is more likely at DH.

I would like the Twins to sign another competent bat that hopefully plays better defense than Willy. Not much left aside from Morales and Cruz. And neither of these players are worth a 2nd rd pick for the Twins.

Hopefully Arcia is ready to be up full time with the Twins. I'm optimistic long term about him but not in the short term. After that DH/LF will likely be rotation of Willy, Parmelee, Presley, possibly Mastro and eventually Plouffe. I am not a fan of this but other than a trade there aren't many options other than waiting for Buxton, possibly Rosario (moves to LF), Vargas and the rest of the prospects.

I would like to get Jesus Montero if he's available relatively cheaply.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I would strike out a lot and on occasion make some weak contact.

Hammer, who should be our everyday DH, would do considerably better.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with most of the comments. I think they signed Kubel and traded Doumit to make Kubel the primary DH. Hammer will get some reps there when the Twins face a tough lefty and need better outfield defense. Say, when Hughes pitches against Sabathia. But the normal lineup should have Hammer in Left and Kubel at DH.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast