Thread: The Perkins/Valencia twitter feud

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Perkins/Valencia twitter feud

Ok, so not really a "feud" per se.

This morning, following the Kurt Suzuki signing, closer Glen Perkins welcomed his soon-to-be teammate by recanting a story of Suzuki launching what can only be presumed to be a mammoth PING shot off of the then-starter for the University of Minnesota in the 2004 NCAA Regionals.

Or did he?

According to the box score, Perkins went the distance (8 IP, 10 hits, 7 runs, 6 earned, 6 Ks and no walks) and did not allow a home run in the game LET ALONE A HIT to Suzuki (Suzuki went 0-for-4). Perkins did, however, surrender a long one to Suzuki in March of that year during a non-conference game (a 2-run shot).

But that’s beside the point.

In his tweet, Perkins referred to the game as the “’04 CWS Regionals”. The CWS, of course, standing for the College World Series. Former Twin and new Kansas City Royal Danny Valencia responded to Perkins’ claim by noting that the College World Series is for those who, you know, actually make the College World Series.

Perkins.PNG
    Miami did not reach the CWS in 2004: that honor went to Suzuki’s unranked Cal-State Fullerton, who ultimately won the tournament over the number one seeded Texas.

ANYWAY. Fun interaction among professional athletes, right?
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Hmm, that depends on if you consider Valencia professional.

3. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brad Swanson (12-20-2013), deanlambrecht (12-20-2013)

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,271 Times in 759 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Or did he?...
    But that’s beside the point.
    Fellow SABR member Stew Thornley has long made the case that first-hand accounts from ballplayers still need rigorous fact-checking. They don't mean to mis-remember, but time plays tricks on the synapses. What then becomes tricky is how to deal with discrepancies when you write up the interview in a biography or whatever. In-line corrections, parenthetical corrections that in effect call him out, endless footnotes, do nothing, or what?

Interesting to see in this case that you don't have to be an old goat to unintentionally embellish. As you say, it wasn't your point, but an interesting side point anyway.

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fellow SABR member Stew Thornley has long made the case that first-hand accounts from ballplayers still need rigorous fact-checking.
    Yes (this can be applied to all people, really). I do enjoy how often Torii Hunter's memory fails him:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-torii-hunter/

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=16289
    @OverTheBaggy

6. These 2 users like Parker Hageman's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-20-2013), notoriousgod71 (12-20-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 181 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had to fact-check a couple of my favorite Metrodome memories in that thread. And I've gone to a lot fewer games than these guys have played, so I will give them a pass!

Liked 365 Times in 206 Posts
    Oddest thing about all this for me?

I never realized that Perkins and Valencia are just 1 1/2 years apart in age until this thread prompted me to look.

Odd how arrival in the majors and success can affect perceptions.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
    I like that Glen replied with some subtle snark to Valencia's petty correction.

Senior Member All-Star
    Yes (this can be applied to all people, really). I do enjoy how often Torii Hunter's memory fails him:

For quite some time I told people that I saw a great 2-0 game between Orel Hershiser and Nolan Ryan which was part of Hershiser's record scoreless innings streak. After researching it over a decade later, I realized this Hershiser shutout took place previous to his record streak. However while that was disappointing, my fact checking help discover that at that game I witnessed the first of Craig Biggio's 3,060 hits.

11. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (12-22-2013)

Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
    [Swag On] / Swag Off

thanks dan
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

13. This user likes zchrz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-20-2013)

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still don't get why some Twins' fans dislike Valencia. If he did not play the way he did in 2010, the Twins would have not won the division...

Yes he is outspoken and has some personality unlike the majority of Twins players these days. Is that such a bad thing?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

15. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (12-20-2013)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I had to fact-check a couple of my favorite Metrodome memories in that thread. And I've gone to a lot fewer games than these guys have played, so I will give them a pass!
    I find that remembering stuff from '87 bleeds into '91. I was ready to say I waved a Homer Hankie at home during '87, but didn't know if they were only introduced during the World Series and then common later on. Also, I couldn't pin down the year or years that I spoke at length to Darrell Miller and Dennis Martinez, although I remember talking to Miller as an Angel in one of the games immediately after the dome deflated (partially).

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I still don't get why some Twins' fans dislike Valencia. If he did not play the way he did in 2010, the Twins would have not won the division...

Yes he is outspoken and has some personality unlike the majority of Twins players these days. Is that such a bad thing?
    He was a highly disappointing player. We need to hold our 19th round draft picks to higher standards.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 342 Times in 227 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I like that Glen replied with some subtle snark to Valencia's petty correction.
    Wait a minute. Perk is factually incorrect, not once, but twice in the same tweet. Valencia gives credit to, not his, but Perk's, new "alleged teammate" for actually having reached the CWS.......so.....DannyV alone deserves the chiding for their mutual snarkiness?

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Wait a minute. Perk is factually incorrect, not once, but twice in the same tweet. Valencia gives credit to, not his, but Perk's, new "alleged teammate" for actually having reached the CWS.......so.....DannyV alone deserves the chiding for their mutual snarkiness?
    Petty corrections are indeed worthy of scorn. Referring to the college baseball playoffs as the College World Series is pretty common, as that's how ESPN sells the product. Danny may have been 'correct,' but he certainly appears pretty small in my view.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts

I remember the AB against Rivera (Game Two) much the same way Hunter described;
    Pitch 1 super-fast cutter on the fists resulting in a foul tip, Pitches 2 and 3 fast balls well out of the strike zone that Kubel whiffed badly (never came close). Kubel was badly over-matched and was embarrassed.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You know that Ford "loud and clear" vs "loud or clear" commercial? This is what this sounds like...
    Last edited by ChiTownTwinsFan; 12-20-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98