Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 134

Thread: Article: Twins Sign Catcher Kurt Suzuki

  1. #81
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    132
    Like
    30
    Liked 41 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
    So doesn't Suzuki return us to the point we might as well have kept Butera?
    Excellent point.

  2. #82
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    It may be a situation where Suzuki will benefit from only playing on a limited basis. With a full season to heal up and then only take the beating of playing behind the plate a couple of times per week he may improve in both behind the plate and at the plate statistics. I too think we needed to give our pitching staff more than pinto and Herman/Fryer. A pitcher is only going to succeed with a good relationship with his catcher. I think this is often overlooked. I think a veteran presence was needed behind the plate. At under 3 million, we did alright with Suzuki. If he can improve by staying healthy, all the better.

    I still think we need another outfielder.

  3. #83
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,123
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
    So doesn't Suzuki return us to the point we might as well have kept Butera?
    Methinks you need to take another look at Butera's stat line.

    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...uterdr01.shtml

  4. #84
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,679
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
    So doesn't Suzuki return us to the point we might as well have kept Butera?
    Between Butera+$$ and Suzuki+Sulbaran, I choose the latter.

  5. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    benchwarmerjim (12-20-2013)

  6. #85
    I still think we need another outfielder.[/QUOTE

    Why? Willihammer, hicks, parmelee, arcia, pressly, and most likely ploufe will be all given time in the field. I agree there not the greatest, But I think TR is content for the time being with some good prospects coming up in 2015.

  7. #86
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    957
    Like
    43
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    The last two years, Suzuki has been basically the equivalent of Jose Molina with the bat. (With his modest ability to take a walk, Fryer might be in that range too.) Molina signed for 2 years at a lower AAV (2/4.5). Will be interesting to see how their defense/framing compares.
    Framing doesn't like Suzuki, but I've certainly never seen anything in his games that suggests he's poor at it, but I also don't trust metrics on framing much at this time based on eye test vs. stats so far, similar to when zone rating and such first came out.

    Suzuki has been hurt the last few years, so I wouldn't equate his expected offense to the production he's put forth the last two seasons, but I also wouldn't expect .290/.340 from him either.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  8. #87
    They're just signing Suzuki to lure Tanaka!

  9. #88
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Why? Willihammer, hicks, parmelee, arcia, pressly, and most likely ploufe will be all given time in the field. I agree there not the greatest, But I think TR is content for the time being with some good prospects coming up in 2015.
    I don't think we will see parmelee or Ploufe in the outfield in 2014. Parmelee is a fist baseman and he is now a backup to Joe and will probably start the year in Rochester. That leaves 4 question marks for the remaining 3 spots.

    Hicks--I like Hicks, I think he will show a lot of improvement over his rookie year. He will need to prove himself and is far from a sure thing.

    Arcia-- I like Arcia, I think he will show a lot of improvement over his rookie year. I think he will hit in the majors, but not sure he will establish himself as an everyday player this year.

    Presley is a fourth outfielder. A younger version of Repko. He is a good defensive replacement and spot starter, but we shouldn't put him out there for even 40 starts in 2014.

    Masty, I feel that same way about Darin Mastroianni. A good 4th outfielder, but he is getting older and we can't carry both hiim and Presley on the roster.

    Willingham-- I hope he will return to his 2012 form but I'm not counting on it. It really seemed like that was his career year. Even with that fantastic year at the plate, he was a defensive liability. He should get about half his starts as a DH and the other half as a left fielder.

    Kubel is also in the mix, but again he should rotate DH and outfield responsibilities.

    I guess the recap of my thoughts is that not all of these guys are going to make it. I think we are set in the infield, but we still have too many questions in the outfield. We need another good all around outfielder that can play center if Hicks and Presley don't blossom into an everyday player.

  10. #89
    Don't be concerned by how few base runners he threw out last year. I live in the DC Metropolitan area and saw a number of games, heard many more. Any fan or any announcer will tell you the Nats' pitchers were horrible at holding runners close to the bag.

  11. This user likes daveha's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (12-21-2013)

  12. #90
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Posts
    512
    Like
    13
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    They're just signing Suzuki to lure Tanaka!
    Ok, but Suzuki is from Hawaii. Not sure he will be much good at recruiting.

  13. #91
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Framing doesn't like Suzuki, but I've certainly never seen anything in his games that suggests he's poor at it, but I also don't trust metrics on framing much at this time based on eye test vs. stats so far, similar to when zone rating and such first came out.
    I don't like pitch framing stats either because it doesn't take into account the natural predjudices of umpires, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. If umpires already have a preconcieved notion that a young/inexperienced/wild pitcher is going to be all over the place, I don't think pitch framing helps a whole lot as the umpire is already expecting pitches to be outside the zone.

    I honestly haven't thought much about Suzuki's defensive game, but considering the above theory, the A's have run out Bartolo Colon and a bunch of young pups the last two years. Youngsters don't generally get the benefit of the doubt from an umpire and I'm not sure pitch framing would have a huge effect in convincing an umpire otherwise.

    Greg Maddox got every borderline call but I think that had more to do with his reputation than it did his personal catcher du jour's framing skills.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 12-20-2013 at 01:54 PM.

  14. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (12-21-2013)

  15. #92
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,758
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Bonus in signing Suzuki: He has proven to be very tradable over the last two years. Not that the Twins should do so, but it's nice to have that option.
    Excellent Nick! That was exactly my first thought. Given Terry's excellent recent track record in moving catchers, once Pinto gets settled in in a few months, as we all anticipate, with the capable backup potential of Hermann, Suzuki could net either a major league ready type prospect (or if he calls the Dodgers, something low minors/high-ceiling type, ala Sulbaran).

  16. #93
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,758
    Like
    882
    Liked 856 Times in 552 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Not really. He was traded from OAK-WAS, then back from WAS-OAK. And those two teams have been trading with each other like gangbusters in recent years. They were also both August waiver trade salary dumps for what looks like minor league filler.
    I disagree with your conclusion. What with the catcher concusssion contagion in recent years, there's more than a fighting chance that a contender is going to pay up for reliable catching depth when one of their own goes down.

  17. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    Ok, but Suzuki is from Hawaii. Not sure he will be much good at recruiting.
    But he has a japanese name!

  18. #95
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    "I still think we need another outfielder."

    Why? Willihammer, hicks, parmelee, arcia, pressly, and most likely ploufe will be all given time in the field. I agree there not the greatest, But I think TR is content for the time being with some good prospects coming up in 2015.
    That's one good OF (Hicks), 2 works in progress (Arcia, Plouffe), 2 DHs (Willingham, Parmelee) and a Pitcher (Pressly) you got listed up there... Presley is a bench OF not a starting guy
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  19. #96
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    268
    Like
    15
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Wow. Terry Ryan's done with all of his shopping before Christmas and they're right around last year's budget. Usually he's waiting for the post-Christmas sales.

  20. #97
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,245
    Like
    107
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    I still think we need another outfielder.[/QUOTE

    Why? Willihammer, hicks, parmelee, arcia, pressly, and most likely ploufe will be all given time in the field. I agree there not the greatest, But I think TR is content for the time being with some good prospects coming up in 2015.
    When a poster says "...we need another OF." He means a good OF--not the warm bodies that the Twins have been running out there the past few years.

    Parmelee is an OF. He took training to become a 1B because of Morneau's concussion issue.

  21. #98
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,123
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    When a poster says "...we need another OF." He means a good OF--not the warm bodies that the Twins have been running out there the past few years.

    Parmelee is an OF. He took training to become a 1B because of Morneau's concussion issue.
    Chris Parmelee has spent his entire professional career splitting time between OF and 1B. Initially, he only played a few games at first but by 2008, he was splitting time almost evenly between RF/1B.

  22. #99
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,178
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    36
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Parmelee is an OF. He took training to become a 1B because of Morneau's concussion issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Chris Parmelee has spent his entire professional career splitting time between OF and 1B. Initially, he only played a few games at first but by 2008, he was splitting time almost evenly between RF/1B.
    Here is Parmelee's maxpreps page before he was drafted in HS. His High School positions are stated clearly (along with some really cool baby Parms pictures.) He was drafted as a first baseman (not as a LHP obviously) who got reps in the OF so he has versatility. The Twins thought of converting him to RF in his second season (in Beloit) because of his arm (he was a pitcher) and because of Morneau. However most of his pro career in the minors from 2008 on (ie. after that failed experiment in Beloit in 2007) has been at 1B (393 games at 1B vs 155 at OF, almost 3 to 1), because he was an awful OF early on.

    And the above is a fact

    Here is his senior season HS baseball roster that clearly indicates his positions as well...
    Last edited by Thrylos; 12-20-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  23. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (12-21-2013)

  24. #100
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,123
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Here is Parmelee's maxpreps page before he was drafted in HS. His High School positions are stated clearly (along with some really cool baby Parms pictures.) He was drafted as a first baseman (not as a LHP obviously) who got reps in the OF so he has versatility. The Twins thought of converting him to RF in his second season (in Beloit) because of his arm (he was a pitcher) and because of Morneau. However most of his pro career in the minors from 2008 on (ie. after that failed experiment in Beloit in 2007) has been at 1B (393 games at 1B vs 155 at OF, almost 3 to 1), because he was an awful OF early on.

    And the above is a fact

    Here is his senior season HS baseball roster that clearly indicates his positions as well...
    Interesting. I always thought of Parmelee as a first baseman but never thought about what position his played in prep ball. All I know is that he played some RF early in his career and then split time.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.