Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danny Valencia traded to Royals

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries

Danny Valencia traded to Royals

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,7915908.story
    Danny Valencia is going to his 4th major league team, the Kansas City Royals. The Orioles received OF David Lough in exchange.
    And to think someone like Valencia can get you a decent outfielder. Since Plouffe is nearly the same guy, could we get a player like Lough back for him? At first glance, the Orioles won this trade, but then someone will mention Valencia is better if he only faces lefties.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 816 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,7915908.story
    Danny Valencia is going to his 4th major league team, the Kansas City Royals. The Orioles received OF David Lough in exchange.
    And to think someone like Valencia can get you a decent outfielder. Since Plouffe is nearly the same guy, could we get a player like Lough back for him? At first glance, the Orioles won this trade, but then someone will mention Valencia is better if he only faces lefties.
    David Lough? Wow. And what did we get for Danny V? Oh, that's right, a Rookie Ball OF way too old for his level. On second thought, maybe the Twins shouldn't try trading with Baltimore, they seem to know what they're doing with playing other team's castoffs to their strenghths and generating new-found value.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's a great return unless the Royals platoon him. Then it might work out for them.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 816 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    That's a great return unless the Royals platoon him. Then it might work out for them.
    Not tons of original thinkers in sports. A smart GM sees how another GM was able to extract value, and now he has a need and can plug that perceived "value" into his system. I hope the Twins are watching as well, because this is just the way that they could get a better deal for Plouffe when the time comes (even his last name practiaclly spells out "platoon").

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 280 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Not tons of original thinkers in sports. A smart GM sees how another GM was able to extract value, and now he has a need and can plug that perceived "value" into his system. I hope the Twins are watching as well, because this is just the way that they could get a better deal for Plouffe when the time comes (even his last name practiaclly spells out "platoon").
    A smart GM always tries to trade with the Royals.

6. This user likes big dog's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DAM DC Twins Fans (12-19-2013)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,528 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only thing this trade tells me is that Terry Ryan needs to call Dayton Moore and say "Hey, ol' buddy! Let's make a deal!".

Giving up anything of value for Danny Valencia, a guy who had all of ~170 PAs last season and succeeded (again) based on an unsustainibly high BABIP of .339, is almost comical.

The only time Valencia has had success in this league is when his BABIP is well outside the norm.

Which basically means that Danny Valencia is good when Danny Valencia is lucky. Even the bulk of his homers just cleared the fence according PitchFX. He had a 1.079 OPS at Camden Yards and a .741 OPS on the road.

The only thing Duquette did right here was recognize that he had a player on the roster whose "performance" (all 170 PAs of it) was luck-driven, called someone less intelligent than him, and hood-winked that GM into giving him something for Valencia before that player plummeted back to earth.

Was it smart for Duquette to take a flyer on Valencia? Eh, I guess so, if only because the results worked out for him. But let's not confuse genius with dumb luck. There is no way Duquette could have predicted that Valencia would thrive in a very SSS by getting lucky. Because that can be said about any player.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not convinced one player is better than the other.

I am convinced the move makes sense for both teams in the context of their respective roster situations.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I'm not convinced one player is better than the other.

I am convinced the move makes sense for both teams in the context of their respective roster situations.
    No, Lough isn't a terribly good player himself... But he's younger, is rangy enough to play the occasional CF (and therefore, be a decent fourth OF), and doesn't suffer from ugly splits.

In short, he has a better chance of being a useful player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 341 Times in 217 Posts
    If we grade this trade based on where each player finished in ROY voting, the Royals clearly won. 3rd place is better than 8th place. Congrats Royals, well done.

11. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (12-19-2013)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    No, Lough isn't a terribly good player himself... But he's younger, is rangy enough to play the occasional CF (and therefore, be a decent fourth OF), and doesn't suffer from ugly splits.

In short, he has a better chance of being a useful player.
    OK then, in isolation, Lough is the better lousy player.

In context, Lough would be backing up Gordon, Cain, Aoki, Dyson, and Maxwell for 3 spots. He was also out of options.

Instead of getting nothing for him they got a little depth at 3B. Its the sort of move Twins fans would applaud if TR did it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    OK then, in isolation, Lough is the better lousy player.

In context, Lough would be backing up Gordon, Cain, Aoki, Dyson, and Maxwell for 3 spots. He was also out of options.

Instead of getting nothing for him they got a little depth at 3B. Its the sort of move Twins fans would applaud if TR did it.
    My issue is that I don't consider Valencia "depth". I consider him to be pretty much useless and 170 PAs with a .340 BABIP isn't going to convince me otherwise.

We've been down this road with Valencia before. If his BABIP isn't outside the norm, he's not just bad, he's a boat anchor on the roster.

Blog Entries
    I don't think Valencia has so far to regress. Mean BABIP is higher if you have the platoon advantage all the time, which is how Showalter used him last year.

Actually, Lough was platooned too, he had a .326 BABIP.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Valencia has so far to regress. Mean BABIP is higher if you have the platoon advantage all the time, which is how Showalter used him last year.

Actually, Lough was platooned too, he had a .326 BABIP.
    But Lough had a .322 BABIP in 265 PAs against lefties. A little high but not outrageous given his speed and 8-9 IF hits in 2013.

Valencia had a .405 BABIP in 102 PAs against lefties. Not the slightest bit sustainable and that SSS makes me reel.

It should also be noted that he had a .394 BA and .429 BABIP in Camden Yards and a .286 BA and .262 BABIP away from it.

Blog Entries
    What was Valencia's BABIP against RHP's?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    What was Valencia's BABIP against RHP's?
    An absurdly low .214. Surely that will go up but that's not the trending split you want to see from a platoon candidate.

Blog Entries
    OK so overall, some regression is likely, but probably not completely falling off a cliff.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    OK so overall, some regression is likely, but probably not completely falling off a cliff.
    It depends. Valencia has only had a "normal" BABIP in one season, 2011. It was .275, which is a bit low but given his makeup, that's not unreasonably low.

And in 2011, he was below replacement level.

Unless Danny Valencia is lucky, Danny Valencia is a very bad baseball player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I think it's borderline hilarious that people are trying to declare a winner and a loser in this trade.

21. These 5 users like kab21's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DAM DC Twins Fans (12-19-2013), Danchat (12-19-2013), messed up (12-19-2013), notoriousgod71 (12-19-2013), old nurse (12-19-2013)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brock beauchamp View Post
    unless danny valencia is platooned, danny valencia is a very bad baseball player.
    ftfy

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    ftfy
    Except that we don't even know if he's a quality platoon candidate, as evidenced by his .405 (!) BABIP against lefties, which is surely going to plummet.

What happens if that BABIP normalizes? Is he still a good platoon player? In this case, he probably is but he's not going to be nearly as good as he was in 2013.

Not to mention that right-handed platoon players are marginalized to begin with, as it's so easy for teams to negate his split advantage after 5-6 innings. Also, LHP starters are far more uncommon than their right-handed equivalents. If Valencia is going to play at all, he's going to get 30-40% of his ABs against RHP.

Platoons are great when they work but the left-handed hitter in a platoon is going to be far more valuable than the right-handed hitter in the same platoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast