Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Powers: Nice comments about Gene Glynn and a few tidbits about players

Liked 1,209 Times in 702 Posts

Powers: Nice comments about Gene Glynn and a few tidbits about players

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...s-will-be-good

Thought this was a little interesting. No breaking news just some overall impressions from Gene Glynn. And a reminder of how much Rochester has turned around in the 2 years since there were questions about whether they would want to renew their franchise agreement with the Twins.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    (one little thing: This is Powers' column)

I got the opportunity to see Rochester play (and even sat next to their bench in one occasion) and this team looked so much more of a team last season than any season before. And Glynn has a lot to do with this.

That said, I still do not like the way the town feels towards the Twins. Most towns with minor league teams follow their affiliates from the fans to the press. Rochester forgets that the Red Wings is a Twins affiliate. Plus the city is a pit after Kodak went belly up. Even though the team is better. I still want to see the Twins move their AAA franchise to a place that respects them more...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 94 Posts
    Keep the city name, and move states.

Rochester, MN

Move the team to the PCL and have Nashville (Milwaukee's AAA) move to the International league
    Last edited by amjgt; 12-18-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Liked 1,209 Times in 702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    (one little thing: This is Powers' column)

OOPS, my apologies to Tom Powers -- thanks for the catch.

Moving a AAA franchise isn't an easy thing (not going to discuss it because we had long discussions of affiliate locations when the Rochester renewals and Cedar Rapids renewals came up). I'm sure that the Red Wings would prefer to be associated with an East Coast team but as I recall, there weren't a lot of options that looked more attractive for the Twins.

I was just glad to read Glynn's comments about the attitude that has developed among the players in Rochester. I hope some of that comes with them as they are called up to Minnesota because the last couple of years have looked ugly here.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    Keep the city name, and move states.

Rochester, MN

Move the team to the PCL and have Nashville (Milwaukee's AAA) move to the International league
    I'm guessing Rochester NY wouldn't agree to disband their club which they'd need to do to allow Nashville to join the IL. The MLB clubs don't get to dictate which cities have teams in which leagues and which cities lose their teams.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm guessing Rochester NY wouldn't agree to disband their club which they'd need to do to allow Nashville to join the IL.
    Considering the Red Wings franchise is older than 70% of the current MLB clubs I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 756 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I personally would like the Twins to ink a deal with the Indianapolis Indians. I'd go to a lot more games if that was the case.

8. These 2 users like diehardtwinsfan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-02-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (12-28-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    Considering the Red Wings franchise is older than 70% of the current MLB clubs I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.
    It's much easier to just play God.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Rochester Red Wings are the oldest team in AAA. Indianapolis is the affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates. I doubt they would want to swap with the Twins - but I'd prefer a three-way swap with the Cubs who have the Des Moines AAA affiliate if that could be accomplished. Unfortunately, Rochester Minnesota is too small to support a AAA Team and so is even the Fargo-Moorhead area (around 250,000). In comparison the Rochester NY area (Western NY) has around 1,000,000, and Des Moines around 600,000. Ideally, I'd like to see the Twins AAA team in Des Moines, AA in Fargo (in PCL), High A in Fort Myers (utilizing their Spring Training and other facilities) and Low A in Cedar Rapids. Accomplishing that requires the acquiescence of other MLB teams and their minor league affiliates - nice to think about about unlikely to happen.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    Ideally, I'd like to see the Twins AAA team in Des Moines, AA in Fargo (in PCL), High A in Fort Myers (utilizing their Spring Training and other facilities) and Low A in Cedar Rapids. Accomplishing that requires the acquiescence of other MLB teams and their minor league affiliates - nice to think about about unlikely to happen.
    Hold it for a sec. The current Iowa (Des Moines) team is a AAA Pacific Coast League. No such a thing as a AA PCL team. AA leagues are the Eastern League (where the New Britain Rock Cats play) mainly at the North East US, the Southern League, mainly in the South East US north of FL and the TX league, in TX, AR, AZ and a team (Cards affiliate) in S MO. That is the closest to the Twin Cities AA League. Affiliated AA leagues should not be confused with the independent (unaffiliated) American Association League that is mainly in the Midwest (St Paul Saints are part of it).

For a team to change affiliates no consent from other MLB clubs is needed. Affiliate contracts last so long. When they expire the MLB teams and the MiLB teams are free to find new affiliations (like the Twins did with Cedar Rapids last season.) So e.g. if the Cubs' contract with the IA MiLB team expires and the Twins' contact with the Red Wings expires, if both the Twins and the people who are running the IA PCL team agree, they can affiliate.

Rochester MN is too small to even support independent league ball, has been proven several times

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On a selfish note, no qualms with Rochester as a franchise, or for the local fan support, which seems excellent, but I wish you were back in the PCL so the Twins AAA would make it here to Omaha.

Of course, it would render my Red Wings cap kind of useless. Lol

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    On a selfish note, no qualms with Rochester as a franchise, or for the local fan support, which seems excellent, but I wish you were back in the PCL so the Twins AAA would make it here to Omaha.

Of course, it would render my Red Wings cap kind of useless. Lol
    Heck, after the Royals sold that team and now that the Railroad and Buffett are gone as owners, maybe that would be a team the Twins should target for their AAA affiliate as well... Bet you won't mind

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I personally would like the Twins to ink a deal with the Indianapolis Indians. I'd go to a lot more games if that was the case.
    I know. And then they could get rid of the stupid nickname. Seeing some prospects in Victory Field on a regular basis would be very nice.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know when Rochester contract expires? Forgive me if I might have missed comments on that earlier?

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Does anyone know when Rochester contract expires? Forgive me if I might have missed comments on that earlier?
    After this season. They renewed for 2 seasons before last season.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Realistically, it seems like there are pretty limited options for either the Twins or Rochester, should either decide they want to look elsewhere after 2014. One (or both) could certainly decide to at least see what those options might be, rather than signing an early extension, of course.

Not counting affiliates that are owned by their MLB parent, minorleaguesource.com lists the following AAA affiliations as expiring after 2014 (in addition to the Rochester/Twins affiliation):

International League:
    Durham Bulls - Tampa Bay
    Norfolk Tides - Baltimore
    Pawtucket Red Sox - Boston

Kind of hard to imagine any of those affiliations changing. More than half of the PCL, however, is up for renewal. The question is whether the Twins would really want to move to the PCL. I kind of doubt it, especially if you assume they also end up renewing with nearby AA New Britain CT

Pacific Coast League:
    Albuquerque Isotopes - Los Angeles
    Colorado Springs Sky Sox - Colorado
    Fresno Grizzlies - San Francisco
    Las Vegas 51s - New York Mets
    Nashville Sounds - Milwaukee
    New Orleans Zephyrs - Miami
    Oklahoma RedHawks - Houston
    Sacramento River Cats - Oakland
    Salt Lake Bees - Anaheim
    Tacoma Rainiers - Seattle
    Tucson Padres - San Diego
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~