Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shocker....Orioles sign yet another ex-Twin

Liked 365 Times in 206 Posts

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 341 Times in 226 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Mostly agreed on Valencia, although his 2013 AAA numbers also show a big power spike. As bad as he was in 2011, if he could add just 40 points of SLG to that otherwise terrible line, he'd be around a 100 OPS+ hitter -- and that's not taking into account a platoon deployment.

Not saying I'd give up anything of value for him now, particularly if his defense is still poorly regarded, he's looking like a platoon DH vs LHP. Will be interesting to see if David Lough proves to be of value (solid year last year, but repeated AAA for 3 seasons and has some OBP issues).
    The O's made a pretty shrewd gamble. They just acquired 3 pre-arb years of Lough, who plays stellar OF defense, notwithstanding what he ends up hitting in the long run-- For 1st year Arb (due to make $1M+), Danny Valencia-- and they have already saved up to $16.5M that it would have cost them to retain a FA at the same position, Nate McClouth, for the next 3 years.

Kudos to Duquette if he uses some of those savings elsewhere. I'll repeat, if he liked Valencia in the hope of capturing lightining in a bottle, he should love taking a chance on Plouffe in the same kind of role in 2014.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,271 Times in 759 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

• An unfavorable discovery in Grant Balfour's physical. His deal with the Orioles is now in jeopardy
    More than just in jeopardy. The deal is off, and Balfour is talking about filing a grievance. Could get uuuuugly.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Can anyone shed some light on this?

I was surprised last offseason when both Liriano and Napoli had their contracts changed (reduced money and years) after the physical. It was always my understanding that each of the teams has access to the players medical records and have physicians on hand to review those medical histories (including x-rays and MRI's) before they even start negotiating.

The only time that the contract should be off is when something new shows up. I think last year Frankie hurt himself in the offseason, while down in the DR. that was something new something that wasn't in his medical history. If the two sides agree to a contract and then the player gets in a car accident or cuts off a finger, I can see that as a change in terms, but this seems different.

In Balfour's case, I'm sure he had MRI's in his medical file that the O's had access to prior to the physical. They knew what surgery's he had in the past. I'm sure that they had up to date every. What could Balfour have done to his shoulder on the way to the physical? Was it a ploy to get him to sign for less? Did they change their minds? Did the Doctors really find something new?

Liked 365 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    More than just in jeopardy. The deal is off, and Balfour is talking about filing a grievance. Could get uuuuugly.
    Really ugly:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/grant-b...medium=twitter

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    O's claim Liam Hendriks from the Cubs per MLBTR. They won't rest until they have another Twins pitcher!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is on the Alex Burnett journey.

Teams shouldn't be able to claim a player knowing they are going to DFA him and claim another player. The hope is that they will go unclaimed and they are added to their minor league depth.

Two possible solutions.

Any player claimed in the winter must be on the 40 man (or 25 man if out of options) through opening day. Players during the season would need to remain for 60 days.

Another solution would be - given the same time frame, if the player is DFA'd and makes it through waivers they return to the original organization. For instance if the Orioles DFA Hendriks and he goes unclaimed, he would return to Minnesota off the 40 man roster.

Both solutions would prevent teams from claiming players that they know are not going to stay on their 40 man roster.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    -whoops, somehow missed the two posts above.
    Last edited by Alex; 12-23-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Liked 1,214 Times in 551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    He is on the Alex Burnett journey.

Teams shouldn't be able to claim a player knowing they are going to DFA him and claim another player. The hope is that they will go unclaimed and they are added to their minor league
    How is this a problem?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    How is this a problem?
    Players can get stuck in an unending loop of being claimed and DFA'd, without the ability to actually hit a roster and play baseball due to the time involved between each. Not so bad in the offseason, but not fair to the player during the season. Some good, easy fixes proposed there and in the link to correct it.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ims-rules.html
    Last edited by jay; 12-24-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Liam is a AAAA player and that's it. He'll always excel in the minors where a slow fastball and decent breaking stuff (for minors) location can dominate the majority of line ups. He makes it to Minn. and cant succeed in one of the best pitcher friendly ball parks in the majors. I assume the O's will make significant changes to Liam's delivery and maybe repertoire.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RinaldiPhotos View Post
    Liam is a AAAA player and that's it. He'll always excel in the minors where a slow fastball and decent breaking stuff (for minors) location can dominate the majority of line ups. He makes it to Minn. and cant succeed in one of the best pitcher friendly ball parks in the majors. I assume the O's will make significant changes to Liam's delivery and maybe repertoire.
    Or they will realize there is a reason both Minnesota and the Cubs exposed him to waivers, and end up DFA'ing him themselves.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    And the Orioles continue stocking their deep-depth positions with ex-Twins, re-signing Alexi Casilla to the standard minor league deal with the Spring Training invite.

Liked 95 Times in 57 Posts
    I talked with Liam today, as he's working out at Hammond. I mentioned he probably got a break with all the pitchers coming here. He agreed. Said he's got a long shot chance at the 5th spot for the O's, and a shot at LR. TR talked to him before this all came down and told him what was up. Told him he was 90% certain Liam would be claimed, and said to go do your best and prove I made a bad decision. He's pulling for him, as are most of us. He goes to O's camp for 3 days of boot camp next week.

15. These 4 users like Halsey Hall's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-11-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (01-11-2014), ericchri (01-14-2014), Willihammer (01-13-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    I talked with Liam today, as he's working out at Hammond. I mentioned he probably got a break with all the pitchers coming here. He agreed. Said he's got a long shot chance at the 5th spot for the O's, and a shot at LR. TR talked to him before this all came down and told him what was up. Told him he was 90% certain Liam would be claimed, and said to go do your best and prove I made a bad decision. He's pulling for him, as are most of us. He goes to O's camp for 3 days of boot camp next week.
    Thanks for your reports, HH. Your account adds a nice human touch by TR. And it turns out he was right about Liam, Twice!

Perhaps a fresh start with a new approach (like adding another pitch) will turn his career in the right direction. He showed a glimmer of what he can still possibly do last August in his call-up.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-14-2014 at 04:57 PM.

17. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (01-11-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Add Delmon Young, who just agreed to a minor league contract with a Spring Training invite.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Add Delmon Young, who just agreed to a minor league contract with a Spring Training invite.
    Whoa....didn't see that one coming. But in looking at Delmon's career, it makes sense for Duquette, exploiting the platoon split at bargain basement prices, ala Valencia. Keep him off the field as much as possible and use his career against LHP slash of .303/.341/.471 /.813 to his best advantage. Ironic that the Rays helped him resurrect his career, where his late season OPS+ with them was 117.

Hey Dan! Give Terry a call and make him an offer. See if you can come to terms to obtain a 1.9 bWAR 3Bman last season with a career split against lefties of .842 OPS/136 OPS+.. He'll work for the same money that Brian Roberts (0.7 bWAR in 2013) got from the Yankees ($2M), except he'll more than likely stay off the DL a lot more (although sometimes you can't tell the difference).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 97 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Looks like the Orioles are next up on the list of Teams That Got Rid of Delmon.

jokin, I laughed at the line about not being able to tell the difference, re Plouffe vs Roberts on the DL.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    The rich just keep getting richer. The Orioles signed Laffrey. Not a former Twin, but KC beat them to Rauch.
    The real question in all of these ex-Twin signings is how good will Norfolk be?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12