Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Four down, one to go: Who will be the Twins 5th starter?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    if it's Duensing that leaves, then Diamond will replace him in the bullpen.
    You cannot replace someone who is throwing hard with a soft tosser in the pen. Diamond can replace Thielbar, maybe, that's about it. And I just don't think that Diamond can be a pen pitcher because lefties hit him harder than righties. As a matter of fact, lefties have a career .859 OPS against him. This is like making any left hand hitter he faces hit like Prince Fielder.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I don't understand the love for Deduno. He only looked good in relation to the rest of our starters. I know the some stats are acceptable, but I would find it hard to believe he'd start for anyone else. He's 30 and STILL doesn't know whether his fastball will cut or break away. I wouldn't want to catch either if I were Doumit and Deduno was throwing balls in the opposite batters box then shrugging his "I have no idea" shoulders. Our rotations have been full of embarrassment, but it doesn't have to be that way anymore. Worley for #5 with Diamond in the pen.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 801 Times in 504 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AHSaves View Post
    I don't understand the love for Deduno. He only looked good in relation to the rest of our starters. I know the some stats are acceptable, but I would find it hard to believe he'd start for anyone else. He's 30 and STILL doesn't know whether his fastball will cut or break away. I wouldn't want to catch either if I were Doumit and Deduno was throwing balls in the opposite batters box then shrugging his "I have no idea" shoulders. Our rotations have been full of embarrassment, but it doesn't have to be that way anymore. Worley for #5 with Diamond in the pen.
    The love for Deduno stems from the fact that hitters don't seem to know where that fastball is going either

I think it really comes down to the fact that Deduno could suddenly figure things out and be the next RA Dickey. He's frustrating to watch at times, but you see flashes of talent with him that's largely absent from the rest of the rotation. The odds of him doing that are about as good as Dickey's odds were, but who knows... it could happen.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 379 Times in 196 Posts
    Couple things:

Doumit is a very poor defensive catcher, he should note be playing behind the dish.

And more importantly, he came out recently saying he doesn't want to/won't catch any more. Under no circumstance will he be a back up catcher, its questionable if he would even be the emergency catcher.

For better or worse, Pinto is going to be the regular C this season, now the only question is if the Twins bring in a legit back up like Suzuki, or they decide to roll with Fryer/Hermann as the backups (not appealing)

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    The love for Deduno stems from the fact that hitters don't seem to know where that fastball is going either

I think it really comes down to the fact that Deduno could suddenly figure things out and be the next RA Dickey. He's frustrating to watch at times, but you see flashes of talent with him that's largely absent from the rest of the rotation. The odds of him doing that are about as good as Dickey's odds were, but who knows... it could happen.
    The problem with waiting for the next Dickey is you are literally waiting for lightning in a bottle. It would be the same thing as teams going after grocery baggers because Kurt Warner suddenly came out of no where.

Dickey became an ACE because he mastered a pitch only a couple of players prior to him had, DeDuno, while I think can be successful will never have that upside. I just cant see anyway he ends up anything more than a #4/#5. Now, while I don't think the Twins need to cut him or anything anytime soon, he certainly shouldn't be penciled in for anything at this point, and should NOT be preventing them from bringing in other pitchers as well.

Again, its a nice story, I like to watch him pitch a lot and I hope he succeeds, preferably as the Twins 5th starter for the next year or two. Fortunately for him, he will certainly get the chance to prove himself for the Twins in 2014 (provided he is healthY)

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Well, I actually tink Gibson could be the third best pitcher on the roster, maybe Worley. We are discussing who will be the 5th known starter, not 5th best starter, right?
    Bingo, mike. Gibson has the highest ceiling of all these guys we're talking about, but he also has two options remaining. He probably wouldn't suffer from a little more AAA anyway based on his MLB performance last year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Ryan Pressly is in the bullpen in AAA and Diamond takes his spot. Deduno on the DL and Worley starts with the big club

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I skimmed this threat quick, so maybe this was touched on and I missed it..

Anyway, one of my friends that is a Braves fan has read that the Braves at some point are/were interested in trading for KC. I, however, have not seen such information, though it would make sense if we continue to pursue pitching. Has anyone else seen anything along these lines?

Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    I skimmed this threat quick, so maybe this was touched on and I missed it..

Anyway, one of my friends that is a Braves fan has read that the Braves at some point are/were interested in trading for KC. I, however, have not seen such information, though it would make sense if we continue to pursue pitching. Has anyone else seen anything along these lines?
    At this point I think it only makes sense if they acqurie a guy like: Garza, Jimenez or Bailey via trade. Guys like Maholm and Arroyo are basically lateral moves at this point and would prob require more years/money than Correia.

At this point I think the Twins should either acquire a #2 type like Bailey/Garza/Jimenez or just roll with what they have and offer Johan a minor league deal+ incentives.

Part of me wishes they could somehow offer Johan a major league deal (1.5 mil base, 7-8 mil in incentives with IP) along with a team option for 2015 for 7-10 mil. Would this even be possible? This would at least give them the advantage of having him for another year if he makes a big recovery.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Answer: Tomo Ohka.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I think Ryan Pressly is in the bullpen in AAA and Diamond takes his spot. Deduno on the DL and Worley starts with the big club
    Pressly will likely be in the AAA rotation. Also, Roenicke was let go so there is a spot there that likely is Tonkin's to lose. I would not think that Thielbar's spot is cemented as well. Those 2 have options, so you can potentially hide 2 of Worley, Deduno, Diamond in the pen if you are so inclined, but the last 2 are not suited for relief work...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Pressly will likely be in the AAA rotation. Also, Roenicke was let go so there is a spot there that likely is Tonkin's to lose. I would not think that Thielbar's spot is cemented as well. Those 2 have options, so you can potentially hide 2 of Worley, Deduno, Diamond in the pen if you are so inclined, but the last 2 are not suited for relief work...
    I was hoping Diamond could be a second LH option behind Duensing in the 'pen, but his numbers sure don't support that. OPS against vs LH batters is a staggering .859 vs .764 for righties. Diamond succeeds or fails with the groundball. 1.91 GB/FB and 52.7% GB vs righties compared to 1.27 GB/FB and only 42% GB vs lefties.

Not good. I think he'll have to win the 5th starter spot or be squeezed out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123