Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins and Pelfrey Agree to Deal

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts

Pelfrey gets 2 year deal

"Mike Pelfrey agrees to 2-year deal, $11M, $3.5M performance bonuses. #twins"

Ugh.

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/sta...10452659363840

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    I know most people (including myself) would rather have Garza or Arroyo on a 2 year deal, but looking at the big picture, we have the same pitching staff as last year plus Nolasco and Hughes. Having those two extra starting pitchers should help take some pressure off of the bullpen. I'm not a big Pelfrey fan, but I'd rather give him the ball, than an AAA pitcher.

Stability is good. These 3 guys (along with Correia and a healthy Deduno) should help stabilize the starting rotation and give the Twins something to build upon. They can always trade, sign, and develop pitchers over time.
    Last edited by Reider; 12-14-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not terribly upset by this, but I really don't get it.

I could see Pelfrey coming in to compete with others for the 4/5 spot in the rotation, but he surely has not earned a roster spot. Money is irrelevant to me because I feel the Twins have it to spend, but you can't tell me that there aren't other pitchers available that are just as talented that could compete for a rotation spot. Or perhaps one that deserves a spot. Pelfrey should have had to prove he was better than Gibson, Worley, etc. before receiving a contract that stats he is a lock for the rotation.

Underwhelming and mildly annoying move.

Liked 1,268 Times in 733 Posts
    Watching him pitch is cruel and unusual punishment.

Not an exciting move, but not a bad one. Considering that the alternative was Bronson Arroyo, I'm very happy to see Pelfrey return.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    After starting out pretty nicely with Nolasco, Ryan has tailed off badly, IMO.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

8. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (12-14-2013), jokin (12-14-2013), Oxtung (12-14-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    This is a reasonable move. I'd much rather have Pelfrey at 2/11 than Colon at 2/20. Pitchers coming back from TJ are always questionable, but Pelfrey had a strong second half of the year. If you look at his overall numbers for the year, they are somewhat ugly, but the big Pelf showed marked improvement

Per Fangraphs:

1st Half/ 2nd Half (2013)

K%: 12.4/17.7
    HR/9: .98/.51
    Avg. Against: .311/.279
    SLG: .478/.374

The one area of concern lies in BB%: 6.6/9.2

But his K:BB ratio still improved, albeit marginally: 1.88/1.93

I think this signing is fine. Again, it's a sign (no pun intended) of an improving rotation. Pelf might not be here for our WS, but he will help this team improve in the immediate future by bringing stability to the rotation.

10. This user likes B Richard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (12-15-2013)

Just a thought, but what if the team trades Correia? He looked pretty solid last year. Innings eater. While he has a place as a starter on this team, he might bring in some value in prospects. Just a thought.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only way this makes sense is if the Twins think he will be better two years removed from TJ surgery. It is a typical to have such an improvement. It's also common to have a long dead arm period the year after a huge jump in innings. So this is a big risk.

But, as the saying goes, you can never have too much pitching. If he sucks, hopefully they give one of the other guys a chance, including Scott Diamond, whom you left off the list.

Well, I think his pitching was better than his record, wonder if they are done. Still like to see a Johan rehab deal. who gets dropped to add him to the roster?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pelfrey was the Twins' best pitcher in 2013, in a season when he made a record time comeback from TJ surgery. Got his K% up to 17.9 in the second half of the season.

From 2008-2011 he averaged 195.7 IP a season. He hasn't even turn 30 yet. Very similar pitcher to Hughes when healthy. I expect a lot from him the next 2 seasons.

All in all a good signing. Not to mention that he is a great clubhouse guy too.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

15. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Nor-CalTwinsfan (12-14-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    It's not a bad deal. That's not a lot of money for a backend starter and it doesn't prevent the Twins from making moves next offseason, if they want.

It probably means Gibson starts the season in AAA, which I'm against, but it looks like Ryan is getting some innings, if nothing else.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I expected Pelfrey back, so no surprise. And I'm glad he is. Now with Deduno, we have a rotation. Now if TR can just get some bats, I'll be alot more enthused about this coming season.

18. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (12-15-2013)

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    After starting out pretty nicely with Nolasco, Ryan has tailed off badly, IMO.
    I don't even think Nolasco is that wonderful. Sure, he's a step above what we're used to but that isn't good enough to win. The money is getting thrown around but all I'm seeing are the same type of pitchers.

20. This user likes notoriousgod71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oxtung (12-14-2013)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I'm not terribly upset by this, but I really don't get it.

I could see Pelfrey coming in to compete with others for the 4/5 spot in the rotation, but he surely has not earned a roster spot. Money is irrelevant to me because I feel the Twins have it to spend, but you can't tell me that there aren't other pitchers available that are just as talented that could compete for a rotation spot. Or perhaps one that deserves a spot. Pelfrey should have had to prove he was better than Gibson, Worley, etc. before receiving a contract that stats he is a lock for the rotation.

Underwhelming and mildly annoying move.
    He just got 2 years and $11 million... he's in the rotation (at least at the start of the season).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    So many times last season Pelfrey would have a great start for 5 innings,then collapse. I hope that another year removed from TJ will reveal a solid sterter good to go deep in games.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With this move and Meyer coming up, would the Twins consider moving Gibson for some offense? Since Gibson has options, he won't make the team out of Florida.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Now with Deduno, we have a rotation.
    Career numbers

Nolasco: 4.37 ERA / 3.76 FIP / 3.75 xFIP
    Hughes: 4.54 ERA / 4.31 FIP / 4.31 xFIP
    Pelfrey: 4.48 ERA / 4.17 FIP / 4.50 xFIP
    Correia: 4.49 ERA / 4.50 FIP / 4.41 xFIP
    Deduno: 4.06 ERA / 4.67 FIP / 4.32 xFIP

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd have held out for 2/22 if I were him.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast