Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Twins going too far this off-season?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    If they sign one to many starters, you just throw someone in the bullpen, and come June or July your in a good position to make a trade. As long as we're not spending 10 million plus on 4 different guys who cares how many we sign. If someone like Garza were to sign with us at this point they know what there getting into, and as long as that doesn't push Hughes or Nalasco out who cares about everyone else, it's there job to earn a spot.

Disagree with your take on Pelfrey, generally the second year back from TJ surgery the pitcher gets back his "feel". He was throwing 95 by the end of the year with very good movement. Just could not locate. If he gets the location back .... well worth the 2 year deal. Look at what is out there for 5-6 mil per... not anything with Pelfrey's potential. Low risk - high return potential.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the moves to stabilize the team & want to keep payroll available for next year after seeing what holes left don't fill themselves.

It sounds like the Drew & Morales markets may not be what they hoped with so much concentrated on pitching. Say the market for them really is down.

If you could sign both for 3/25 deals giving up a 2nd & 3rd in the draft, wouldja?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    I like the moves to stabilize the team & want to keep payroll available for next year after seeing what holes left don't fill themselves.

It sounds like the Drew & Morales markets may not be what they hoped with so much concentrated on pitching. Say the market for them really is down.

If you could sign both for 3/25 deals giving up a 2nd & 3rd in the draft, wouldja?
    I would. I'm guessing Ryan wants to permanently fix the blackhole at SS before he rides off into the sunset, but at that price three years works just fine. IMO Morales at DH is a great move for a team dreaming about October baseball, but once again at that price I would buy.
    Last edited by howieramone; 12-22-2013 at 11:56 PM.

The answer is no, having depth has no bearing on prospect development. These guys could be effective in the bullpen. If they hit a snag were covered. I still think another starter is a must. Why is talent more important then consistency. I would love to have another Strasburg but I don't see one in our organization.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I would sign both of them for those prices and the cost of a 2nd/3rd rd pick. It would give the Twins a legitimate offense vs what is most likely a bottom 10 (possibly bottom 5 offense). People talk about this mythical concern of blocking prospects but the guys blocked (removed from the lineup) are the likes of Parmelee/Kubel/Colabello and Florimon/Santana. I won't lose any sleep over blocking them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123