Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins going too far this off-season?

Twins going too far this off-season?

With the big signing of Nolasco and Hughes last month and the recent re-signing of Pelfrey (God, please no), the Twins are reportedly still in on Arroyo, Maholm, and possibly even Garza. If Minnesota signs another on of these starters, would they have gone too far in signing starting pitchers? With Diamond, Correia, Deduno, Worley, Albers, Gibson and potentially Meyer and May ready and capable (for the most part) for a starting job, are the Twins over signing so far?

2. This user likes Trautmann13's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I don't think so but I don't think it happens. In reality, only Nolasco, Hughes and Gibson really matter. Correia will be gone after this year and Pelfrey is just a backend guy. Deduno may not even be that. Twins should be better next year - maybe even pushing for .500 - but only Nolasco, Hughes and Gibson should be expected to be part of the next winning Twins team and that lets the Twins bring up guys like Meyer and May or sign someone else longterm next offseason.

4. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    It only matters if it keeps them from:

A: starting the best pitchers for some reason
    B: signing/acquiring position players (which I think is the actual risk right now)
    Lighten up Francis....

6. These 3 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013), johnnydakota (12-16-2013), Winston Smith (12-16-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    The Nolasco signing was OK. The Hughes signing I disagreed with but not terrible, but there was no good reason to resign Pelfrey. He has very little upside and now takes a rotation spot for the next 2 seasons. The Twins would have been better suited to trying to trade for an actual good pitcher, letting one of the young guys with a future take the spot or waiting and signing a real upgrade next off season. Pelfrey makes no sense on a 2 year deal.

8. These 4 users like Oxtung's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (12-16-2013), glunn (12-17-2013), mike wants wins (12-16-2013), Trautmann13 (12-16-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    When you had the worst pitching staff in baseball the last two years, you can't go far enough IMO.

The Twins shouldn't be NOT making moves for guys like DeDuno, Diamond, Albers etc

10. These 3 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013), howieramone (12-16-2013), Jim Crikket (12-16-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
    The saying goes you can never have enough pitching. Of course, it makes more sense if you put "good" in front of pitching. At this point I think the hope is with enough guys thrown against the wall some of them will stick and at the same time not stink like last year.

I agree with Mike on the offense, where is that coming from?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

12. These 2 users like Winston Smith's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013), johnnydakota (12-16-2013)

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    In on Garza I can understand. Anyone else? I just don't get it. Much better to put that money toward a catcher and bat(s). (Yes, I know there could be 40-man problems but there just aren't that many indispensables on the 40-man -- we could later have some regrets about a DFA or trade but that is part of the risk of baseball. You have to be able to rely upon your talent evaluators.)

14. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    I don't see Hughes, Pelfrey or Coreria being long term answers for the Twins but they are decent bounce back candidates that might net them something at the trade deadlines In the coming years. They have things lined up right now so that they will have someone they can possibly trade each of the next three years. considering we are two or three years away from being better than average I like that strategy.

They are at the point now though where if they get someone else they need to be really good as we don't have the roster space for an average pitcher to make sense unless TR has some trades in mind that we don't know about. I like that they are not satisfied with what they have and who knows maybe they can find a good deal out there yet. Let's buy as much talent as we can to potentially create trade bait and turn this team around. The team has the money to take some risks and some of them are bound to work out well.

16. This user likes Dman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    When you had the worst pitching staff in baseball the last two years, you can't go far enough IMO.

The Twins shouldn't be NOT making moves for guys like DeDuno, Diamond, Albers etc
    That hits the nail squarely on the head.

Of the following players who could make a case for being in the opening day lineup: Worley, Deduno, Diamond, Albers, Hendricks, Hernandez, the guy who came over in the Morneau trade, Gibson, Meyer. The only two you worry about blocking are Gibson and Meyer, and I would bank on both of those guys getting some service time this year.

No disrespect intended to any of the other guys, but they have not proven they are good enough to be part of a good rotation and you can only give someone so many chances (see: Hendricks, Liam). Give them another role, stash them in AAA if possible, or let them go and wish them success with another club.

18. This user likes Joe A. Preusser's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    The only problem with the offseason is that the Twins have ignored adding anything to a pretty bad offense. Long term this could work out since the Twins best prospects are hitters but 2014 could be an awful year offensively.

20. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Having too many deserving starters and not enough innings would be a lovely predicament for the Twins. One they haven't had in probably a decade.

22. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, I like what they're doing so far.

They have:

Nolasco
    Correia
    Hughes
    Pelfrey

To mix in with some young guys. Pelfrey was solid the second half of the season, if we get that out of him next year I can handle that for a 4th-5th starter.

The Twins needed options with some experience and now they have them. Now, if they add one more vet they can potentially have 5 vet starters out there with a couple of younger guys battling for the 5th spot or there when someone melts down.

Some people hate the Pefrey signing but I believe he was around a 4.5 ERA the second half.

Generally speaking it is not a good thing to have three spots in the rotation that your young starters more than likely will have to fill. Ideally, you have four experienced starters and maybe one spot that one of your prospects can fight for.

24. This user likes mcrow's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by tcarlic View Post
    Blows my mind with some Twins fans. Honestly, who did you people want them to sign this year? Nolasco is really one of the only sure bets on the FA market. They took a chance on a guy who has really good numbers outside of NY. Pelfrey is sort of a weird signing, but still he is the third pitcher being brought in. What catcher is there to sign? What bat is going to come in and make the Twins better? Read this if you still think there are impact bats out there. Signing a guy from that list doesn't make sense unless you think Drew is a player who will be better than what we have in 2-3 years. Personally, I say roll the dice with Jorge Polanco, Levi Michael, Danny Santana, or a latin player.
    Do you honestly think somebody needs to be an impact bat to make the Twins offense better? We are talking about a team that projects to start Florimon, Plouffe, Parmelee, Presley and two young, unproven hitters in Pinto and Arcia.

I also find it strange that you make an argument that most of the MLB ready pitchers as trash (they aren't great) but think it would be difficult to upgrade the offense in FA or trades. The Twins offense is not full of MLB starting caliber players and I would project them as a bottom 5 offense in the majors.

I also have no idea how you can spin signing Drew as a negative and then list a bunch of crappy prospects (Santana is a utility player, Michael absolutely sucks and Polanco is 2+ years away) as an argument against signing Drew.

I don't have a problem with the pitching moves made although Pelfrey is lackluster but it isn't mission impossible to upgrade one of the majors worst offenses that is full of marginal MLB players.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Do you honestly think somebody needs to be an impact bat to make the Twins offense better? We are talking about a team that projects to start Florimon, Plouffe, Parmelee, Presley and two young, unproven hitters in Pinto and Arcia.

I also find it strange that you make an argument that most of the MLB ready pitchers as trash (they aren't great) but think it would be difficult to upgrade the offense in FA or trades. The Twins offense is not full of MLB starting caliber players and I would project them as a bottom 5 offense in the majors.

I also have no idea how you can spin signing Drew as a negative and then list a bunch of crappy prospects (Santana is a utility player, Michael absolutely sucks and Polanco is 2+ years away) as an argument against signing Drew.

I don't have a problem with the pitching moves made although Pelfrey is lackluster but it isn't mission impossible to upgrade one of the majors worst offenses that is full of marginal MLB players.

I was posting in reference to what has been said on these boards; not in this thread. I agree Michael has been a bust - I was just mentioning SS prospects off the top of my head. Polanco is really the only legit player of that group - I agree. But in 2 years, the Twins are ready to compete and if the experiment of Polanco does not work at SS this year, perhaps you move to the FA market then or try to make a trade.

Why would you sign a 3b or CF with Sano and Buxton a year away. Arcia is 22 years old. Let him play. He will strike out, but will hit for power (2b, HR). There's really not too much left out there. I don't know man, I just think it's not worth it to spend money on those types of players, when realistically you might get a little better performance, but what will that add up to? 25 runs? 50 runs? 100 runs? The Twins need speed. Not too many burners on that list (Casilla anyone?) maybe Sizemore or Guterriez. I'd be ok with their signing.

Speaking of the pitchers - If signing Arroyo or Garza happens it is not that big of a deal to lose Albers, Diamond, or Deduno IMO.

My post was just in response to the title and was a rant; nothing personal.

27. This user likes tcarlic's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Bello and Diaz should be looked at very hard, and if they are thought to be ready or to be near ready ,we should spend what it takes, as we need another catcher and a Shortstop, both of these guys could grow up with the team and be part of the future

29. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    I don't understand how you can think it's not worth attempting to upgrade one of the worst offenses in baseball. We aren't talking 5-6 year contracts here. For example Corey Hart signed a 1 yr contract with the Mariners in an absolutely awful park for RH'd power hitters. Additionally the Twins have so many marginal players starting currently that it wouldn't be difficult to shuffle a player around when an elite prospect comes up.

I don't see any reason to not sign someone to a 2-3 year contract NOW because we need to see how Polanco handles SS this year. He's 2-3 yrs away and not an elite prospect. There are reasons for not signing Drew but this definitely isn't one of them.

31. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    The problem is that it isn't clear a few of the signings are better options. Worley is not a bad pitcher - he was bad last year but the guy had been pretty darn good. Deduno has some fun stuff. And Gibson is supposed to be part of the future.

All three of these guys are potentially squeezed out by two aging, hardly impressive starters. I appreciate the hell out of the effort by the Twins, I'm just not sure it's the right approach. Hughes made sense - he's got great potential to be a steal and a buy-low rebound. Nolasco is a clear upgrade. Pelfrey? Not so much on either front.

33. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013), mike wants wins (12-17-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really wouldn't say they are doing too much. They have 3 straight 95+ loss season. Terry Ryan had to do something and something big. Pitching wins games. It wont take you to the playoff like KC learned in 2013, but it will win games. Luckily for the Twins, they have two of the top prospects in baseball knocking on the door, one impact bat getting his feet wet and another not far away. Combine that talent with Joe Mauer, and 2015 looks pretty good.

Now, 2014 isn't a throw-away either. Mauer, Willingham, Arcia, Dozier, Plouffe, Pinto, Kubel all have talent. Bounce back years for Willingham, Plouffe and Kubel could happen (especially with a Kubel/Plouffe platoon). This team wont be a run scoring machine, but with decent starters and a good bullpen they could score enough to be above .500.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

35. This user likes Badsmerf's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013)

I just don't see how there is a big difference between the Hughes signing and the Pelfrey signing. Grass is greener I suppose.

Consider: They are both top picks and prospects that failed to pan out in the majors as the dominant starters they once projected to be. They are both coming off of terrible overall seasons. Both had some injury issues that affected their durability. However, Pelfrey's contract is far better if these guys end up being who they were last season.

I like both signings for the same reasons, but I actually like the Pelfrey signing more due to the lower risk. Just to be clear, these guys are being paid peanuts if they hit their upside, if they flop, well . . . it would be a shame, but it's not the Barry Zito contract.

Hughes has already proven that his fastball would play well out of the bullpen, but I suspect Pelfrey could do the same if we have young starters that simply run away with the rotation spots and either of them underachieve.

Just think, they are making roughly 27 million over the next two years while Bartolo is going to make 20. Good signings.
    Last edited by MNfan34; 12-16-2013 at 07:55 PM.

37. These 3 users like MNfan34's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Gene Larkin Fan Club (12-18-2013), glunn (12-17-2013), Stan Zbornak (12-17-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    The first time they block a starter in AAA who is truly ready because they want more starts out of Corriea/Pelfrey, I'll worry. There's one spot open now. There will be another by June 1st. Everyone who's deserving will still get their shot.

And as for leaving no money for a bat, the current payroll is ~$83 million. Exactly the same as last year and $20-$25 million less than 2011. If we're out of money to spend, Jim Pohlad should be ashamed of himself.

39. These 2 users like howeda7's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-17-2013), JB_Iowa (12-17-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast