Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins and Pelfrey Agree to Deal

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Terrry Ryan is open for business, but he shops at one expensive Kmart. Twins' starters will be all right. Not all right, but all right... and since I lean toward the left, it is not good news to me. By the 3rd of 4th game of each series, the opposing teams should have a pretty good rhythm at the plate, especially after they teed off in the first two games. But anything can happen, and I am pretty sure it will.
    Last edited by h2oface; 12-15-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am curious to see if we get another starter and if we make any trades. We seem to be accumulating assets so it makes sense to trade some of them. Overall though I support this signing as I believe Pelfry will have an era in the low 4.00s next year and that will work. I am more concerned about how the lineup improves next year especially since there are no more offensive type catchers available.

Don't be surprised when my boy Kris Johson surprises the lot of ya in ST and locks down that 5th starter spot.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    For the last couple years I have been reading how the Twins never buy low. Seems to me that Hughes, Kubel and Pelfrey are all solid buy low candidates. Bidding on Tanaka this year is buying at his highest point. Tanaka or Garza were not coming to Minnesota. I think Ryan is doing an excellent job in that we now have major league starters and the depth will improve our bullpen. Since Morneau and Blackburn made about $20 million last year(Hughes, Nolasco money) and Pelfrey re-signed for about a million more than last year we still have money to improve the offense. I don't think TR is close to being done.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So I assume the Twins are just planning on this or what?
    1 Garza
    2 Nolasco
    3 Arroyo
    4 Hughes
    5 Pelfrey

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    The negotiations with Garza and Arroyo must not be going so well. The sticking point could be years wanted by both sides for the chance to pitch for the Twins.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 83 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Terrry Ryan is open for business, but he shops at one expensive Kmart.
    Best TR analysis of the offseason! Love this quote.

BTW: Nobody mentions my guy Swarzak as a candidate for the rotation. Seth writes, "If the Twins do not sign any other starting pitchers or make any trades, Sam Deduno, Kyle Gibson, Andrew Albers, Kris Johnson, Scott Diamond, Vance Worley and Alex Meyer will be competing for the fifth starter job."

With good numbers, and no wrestling injuries during Twins Fest this year, he's got as much chance as anyone above as the 5th starter. Swarzak, Diamond, and Worley could rotate as 5th starters/long relievers based upon innings pitched.

8. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (12-16-2013)

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    According to the Twins, Duensing is also in the fifth starter competition. The old adage about never having enough pitching should read "good" pitching instead. Not to mention you have a finite number of rosterable spots both on the 25 and 40 man. If this is the move, some clarity on the unsustainable pile of starters on the 40 man is needed.

I'd love to not worry about Deduno, Worley, Diamond, and Gibson but I can't when Pelfrey is little better than them. So we lose one of them for wht is difficult to call an upgrade and a player that is older, more expensive, and less likely to be a future contributor.

I have pelfrey penciled in for 30 wins the next two seasons.

I look for Correia to have a strong 1st half and bring a decent return in a trade.

12. These 2 users like Marta Shearing's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (12-15-2013), DJSim22 (12-15-2013)

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a fan of this one personally, though I won't complain. There was no way we were getting Garza for 2 years.

14. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (12-15-2013)

At this point I think its absolutely dumb to pursue arroyo. They have plenty of in house candidates to fill the 5th spot. Garza is the only pitcher that makes sense now. Garza, Nolasco, Hughes, Pelfrey, and Correia makes this team division contenders. Especially if they add a bat.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    I was waiting for this shoe to drop. I thought it was unusual how TR and Gardy were publically blowing kisses at a free agent.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    He was nowhere near our best pitcher. Deduno had a 3.60 era. This move is mind boggling. 5-13, 5.19 era, 1.50 whip should not earn a roster spot, let alone a raise and an additional year. For all this tj talk, he had a 5.00 era in august and september. Between deduno, gibson, and meyer we have guys making no money with more upside.
    And my last point, war for pitchers makes no sense. Let me provide two examples. Ervin santana has a 2.4 war and had a 3.24 era. Pelfrey's was 2.1 even though he gave up two additional er for every nine innings? the concept of wins above replacement would imply that a pitcher that allows more runs than the league average (like pelfrey) would have a negative war. pelfreys era was roughly the same as the twins starters last year and we ranked 29 out of 30.

ERA, W-L Thielbar was the best reliever, too, right?

Check out his FIP, K%, WAR.
    Check out his BABIP and stranded% to figure out why the bloated ERA and WHIP.

And I like Pelfrey about as much as Ervin Santana for the $ in this team.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Terrry Ryan is open for business, but he shops at one expensive Kmart.
    Nah. He shops the Adam Levine collection.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

20. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (12-16-2013)

They what???

Quote Originally Posted by Zephrin View Post
    ...But don't forget that the Twins literally ate Blackburn's $5.5 million contract last year...
    They did??? Awesome! Is that on youtube?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post

Hilarious!!

*Dumpster Diving*

It's easy to be saracastic and dismissive about this signing- "Iron Mike" I called him because of his penchant for 4 1/2 inning starts. Nonetheless, I think this was the right thing to do. He's relatively young, he can throw some heat, and he's one more year removed from TJ surgery. Let's see what happens.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Makes no sense with this offense to sign stop gap pitchers. But whatever. My condolences to those that have tickets to games he starts. Unless you like a minute between pitches. I do not understand why they would be willing to do this, when they have plenty of mediocre starters, but no LF, no DH, no catcher, no CF they can count on.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast