Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give me Garza at 4 yrs over Pelfrey at 2

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts

Give me Garza at 4 yrs over Pelfrey at 2

• The Twins have increased the value of their two-year offer to Mike Pelfrey from $10MM to $12MM, La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports. The Rangers and Giants have also shown interest in Pelfrey, Neal reports.
    • Also from Neal, the stumbling block between Matt Garza and the Twins seems to be Garza's demands for a four- or five-year contract, as Minnesota isn't willing to make that long a commitment due to injury concerns. That said, Neal isn't counting the Twins out of the Garza race yet as he hears the team is still in the hunt.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 46 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. In a pure "either / or" situation, I'll take Garza 10 times out of 10.

That'd being said, if Garza is adamant for a 5th year, I might pause and consider other options. 4 years seems like the sweet spot for Garza, any longer and I'm not as comfortable.

I don't like the second year for Pelfrey, no matter the price - he's fine as a back end arm, but let's get it done on a one year deal.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Agreed. Garza might be really good. Even in his best years (in the NL), Pelfrey was not that good.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Pelfrey wasn't good and I'd prefer other options, lots of other options. Still, a year removed from TJ surgery, I actually might prefer a two year deal because he actually might have some trade value down the road as strange as that might sound.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    The Twins probably aren't the only ones worried about Garza's health. His ultimate contract might be less than expected for that reason, and might be the main reason he's in the Twins price range to begin with. So if that's an issue the Twins are right to be cautious.

I don't really get the Pelfrey thing, but the money isn't a big deal and he's at least better than Diamond and the other AAAA types.

My evaluation of pitchers is definitely skewed by how horrible our pitching has been, but Pelfrey's good year look pretty good to me. In 08 he had a 3.72 ERA over 200.2 IP, and in 2010 he had a 3.66 ERA over 204 IP. I think I'd be very pleased if he duplicated those numbers for the Twins. I suppose folks will say his peripheral numbers suggest he's unlikely to duplicate that success. I'm not that good at using more advanced stats for pitchers yet.

I'd offer him 4/$60 million with a $15 million 5th year if he pitches 400 innings the last two years.

My final offer would be 4/$64 with a $16m 5th year.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    The choice between Pelfrey and Garza seems like a false one to me.

That said, what the heck is Pelfrey holding out for? He can't really expect do much better than that; unless he wants to make good on a year offer with a higher AAV. I wouldn't mind Pelfrey back, but the deal no longer seems team friendly, and the longer he isn't signed the more unlikely I think he'll come back.

The public flirtation with Garza is pretty fascinating. If given the opportunity, I think they could be players on Tanaka. I hope the Twins won't sign anyone until Tanaka gets posted.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Pelfrey thing makes no sense - none. It doesn't makes sense to give him a 2-year deal. It doesn't make sense for him to want a 2-year deal. I'm baffled by this.

10. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Garza wants a 4 or 5 year deal and the Twins want to go 3 then why not do a 3 year with an option year or 2 with a decent buyout fee of 3-5 million (based on a performance criteria such as 30 starts or 180-200 innings pitched) and also give Garza an opt out should he decide he wants more money (if he meets a certain performance criteria). I am sure there is a middle ground where they can make a deal if they want to.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am indifferent on Pelfry resigning. I would hope that we do not sign him till after all of the better targets come off the board.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I definitely would choose Garza over Pelfrey. Signing him to a 4-5 year contract would be big risk, just as it would be a big risk to sign the other two remaining top free agent starters Santana and Jimenez to the same contract. Where Garza wins out over those 2 pitchers, is that their is no draft pick compensation attached to Garza. Even if it is only a 2nd round pick... it is a significant factor.

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    The public flirtation with Garza is pretty fascinating. If given the opportunity, I think they could be players on Tanaka. I hope the Twins won't sign anyone until Tanaka gets posted.
    Just like everyone else who participates on this site - if the Twins were able to acquire Tanaka - I would be ecstatic... hell, I'd probably urinate in my pants to be honest with you. It would be greater than great.

In my opinion, if Tanaka is posted, most, if not all of the MLB Organizations will throw their 20 Million Dollar hat into the ring.

I have some serious doubts that the Twins can outbid a lot of those teams and that the Twin Cities would be at the top of Tanaka's list of preferred destinations. No disrespect to Minneapolis and St. Paul (I love living here), but I would guess that the coastal US metropolises would be a target of his - where there are more creature comforts of his home land.
    We will rise from the killing floor... like a Matador.

14. This user likes Bark's Lounge's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    The Pelfrey thing makes no sense - none. It doesn't makes sense to give him a 2-year deal. It doesn't make sense for him to want a 2-year deal. I'm baffled by this.
    I think it makes plenty of sense for the Twins to offer him a 2 year deal, if he pitches like he did as he was getting healthier towards the end of the season (high k rate) lower ERA etc, then it's in the Twins best interest to have him cheap for two years instead of one.

As far as why he wants the 2 years- Security? Maybe he just really does want to stay in Minnesota and likes it there?

Also, I don't see this as an either/or scenario at all.
    Signing Pelfrey for 12 mil total more or less doesn't stop the Twins from signing ANYONE this year or more importantly next year.

Maybe it isn't so much Garza or Pelfrey at this point. Maybe its Garza or Bailey (or someone else on the 2015 market)

The one thing I do know is this, the Twins had by far the worst starting rotation in baseball last year, the last thing they need to be worried about at this point is "having too many pitchers" they had maybe 1 and a half last year total. Worst case scenario is you have 6-7 legit guys somehow (including DeDuno, Gibson, Diamond etc) and that is one of those good problems to have.

16. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

minn55441 (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I think everyone would prefer Garza over Pelfrey, that is why he is looking at 15 million a year as apposed to the 5 or 6 we are offering Pelfrey. the problem is that we need another starting pitcher. If we lose out on Garza, we have to go to plan B, if we lose out on plan B we have to keep going down the line.

In my mind,that is what happened last year. Terry wasn't aggressive enough early on and by the time he had lost out on the players he wanted there was nothing of value left. Unfortunately we can't wait for Garza to make a decision. We have to continue to pursue other options, while waiting on and negotiating with him.

I would definitely go 4 years with Garza. As was mentioned, if we have to give him an option for a 5th year, so be it. If that isn't enough for him, it may be time to move on and look at other options, or more aggressively look at other options.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless its just leverage in talks with Arroyo & Garza I have no idea what the interest in Pelfrey is. Deduno deserves a spot in the rotation, if you honestly believe Diamond & Worley are deserving & could be a #5 like TR has said. Pelfrey has no place on this roster.

Garza's injury history is better than Pelfreys, I can see not wanting to go 5 years on him or any pitcher. Nolasco's deal is basically a 4 year too with the 5th year being almost difficult to reach.

He clearly wants the security of 4-5 years. Why not toss this out to his camp. 4 year $60 million with a 5th year 15million option that vests with 350+ IP in the first 2 years combined. While also giving Garza an opt out option after year 2 where he can't be offered arbitration for giving in on the vesting option. If he reaches that vesting option, your really only risking a 3/45 on a 33 year old SP who's proven healthy 2 straight years.
    Last edited by Trevor0333; 12-13-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Instead of a traditional vesting option I would give him the same option that is in Lackey's contract.

2015 club option at Major League minimum salary if Lackey misses significant time with surgery for pre-existing elbow injury in 2010-14
    I definitely like Garza more than Pelfrey but at a certain point I start to prefer keeping those long term dollars available for another offseason. Signing Bailey next year isn't even possible if the Twins have locked up Garza, Nolasco and Hughes for 3, 4, and 5 years for example.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    I strongly prefer Garza over Pelfrey. I think that there is "a game of chicken" being played between Garza and all of his suitors. I believe the first team to match his asking price--will get him, especially if said offer is made before Christmas. There isn't much posturing available for the Twins--losing team, probably stay that way for a few more years, and never be able to match the star power of the revenue kings when the Twins eventually reach the playoffs.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    If we were to sign Garza,Tanaka, Uribe,Choo and then Morales, yeah we got a shot at being in the post season...But face it if we sign both Garza and Pelfrey , we are still a sub .500 team.
    we have improved some for today and for tomarrow, but lets continue to build for the future.
    Diaz over Drew, and Burch Smith is still out there.1 year from last week , how many prospects will we have to protect? and how many have a real shot at helping us? lets package a few of them with some of our , not so useful players and pickup some help for tomarrow

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The 2014 free agent pitching crop looks pretty darn good. Even with the pitchers signed, and adding a third even if it is Garza, I can't see them contending for a playoff spot. It might be time cut bait and wait. As much as the Twins couldn't adapt to Garza's personality the last time around, I can't see being around Gardenhire and Anderson a success story. I would think former ALCS MVP Garza is thinking the same thing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Instead of a traditional vesting option I would give him the same option that is in Lackey's contract.

I definitely like Garza more than Pelfrey but at a certain point I start to prefer keeping those long term dollars available for another offseason. Signing Bailey next year isn't even possible if the Twins have locked up Garza, Nolasco and Hughes for 3, 4, and 5 years for example.
    I do like your thought process on next year & Bailey. However I think the market will dictate providing a better option to the player than what Lackey accepted.

Unless Tanaka isnt posted until next year. The Yankees, who's luxury tax will reset & ARoid will be off the books will throw all kinds of money at Bailey. Next years SP FA is pretty thin.

Kershaw - Isnt going anywhere
    Sherzer - Hard to believe the Fielder trade wasnt a precursor to re signing him
    Bailey - Reds want him back but may not have the $ without moving Phillips
    Iwakuma - 34 & a likely resign with M's
    Lester - probably available
    Peavy - 34 & not as good as Garza
    Shields - With what they gave up, they have to sign him
    Masterson - Garza 2.0 but will cost a pick

So basically its going to be Bailey, Masterson, Lester, & Shields who all will require picks & Peavy as the top SP FA options.

With a Sabathia, Tanaka, Pineda, Nova rotation the Yanks will be all over Bailey if he hits the market being the clear #1 SP available.

That's why I like getting Garza now on a 4 year deal. I think he would even opt out if he didnt vest his 5th year which would almost be a bonus to the Twins. Garza fior 3/30 would bridge the yougsters perfectly plus he wont cost a pick.
    Last edited by Trevor0333; 12-13-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast