Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liam Hendriks

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 602 Times in 324 Posts
    Hendriks continued his dominating play at AAA with another impressive outing for Rochester yesterday. Our prospect went 8.2 innings, allowing no runs on 3 hits with 10 SO and 2 BB, he came up one out shy of a complete came shutout before being relieved in the Red Wings 2-0 win. Liam improves to 5-0 with a 1.94 ERA over 46.1 innings in 7 starts, over that time he has given up a measly 29 hits while striking out 42 and walking 13. He has not given up a run in his last 15 2/3 innings pitched.

Hendriks commented in an MILB interview that establishing his fastball is one of the major keys to his recent success. Yesterday against Indianapolis he threw 1st pitch strikes to 9 of the first 10 batters he faced and 19 of 30 overall. Clearly that is something he was missing when he was up with the Twins, something that could be attributed to nothing more than a lack of confidence that he seems to be regaining.

I think that is what ultimately keeps Hendriks up here, along with his great mix of pitches. It all works off his fastball though, if he can work both sides of the plate with it, keep it down and focus on going after the hitter instead of trying to be perfect then all his other pitches take care of themselves and he is certain to have success.

What to do with Liam??
    7 shutout innings in getting the win on SAT.
    6w in 8starts @ ROC w/53.1 IP 34h (.183BAA) 1.69ERA 43k 14bb
    Dominating the older players in AAA but cant turn the corner. Feels to me that the big league staff has lost confidence in him (with his numbers, no surprising). Is he a guy who may be dealt as MN organization seems very frutstrated with him....seems absurd with our lack of pitching, but I get a feeling this could happen if he doesnt turn it aroung with his 3rd shot this year (whenever it is).

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    What to do with Liam??
    Dominating the older players in AAA but cant turn the corner. Feels to me that the big league staff has lost confidence in him (with his numbers, no surprising). Is he a guy who may be dealt as MN organization seems very frutstrated with him....seems absurd with our lack of pitching, but I get a feeling this could happen if he doesnt turn it aroung with his 3rd shot this year (whenever it is).
    You can never say never about what the club will do but at 23 years of age I think it is very premature to be thinking that the club is thinking along those lines. As many writers have suggested, it takes time to develop both the mental and physical side of the game. Scott Diamond who is pitching up a storm is 26 while other relative newcomers to major league in Walters and De Vries are both 27 and Deduno is 29. I am sure they are not the same pitchers they were at 23.

those guys never dominated AAA the way Liam currently does.......just dont think MN will wait thru 2 more yrs of dominating minor leaguers if he cant help the big club.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He'll get another chance in the bigs really soon.

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    He'll get another chance in the bigs really soon.
    No question he'll get another shot this yr....sooner than later. If they are gonna go with PJ Walters & his 5.4 ERA or Sam Deduno after the break, it'll catch up with them eventually. Need another starter w/Liriano is dealt

Tonight 7IP 3h 2er 5k 0bb 92 pitches...what to do, what to do

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just commit to this kid and let everyone kind out if he's a backend starter or not.

This is what bad teams do, you play the youth to see if they have a future with your club.

Ho Hum
    Another 7 innings shutout performance by Hendriks 4h 4k 1bb 104pitches
    Now has a 1.99ERA in AAA in 99.1 innings which, after tonight, will lead the league in ERA (will be 2IP above minimum)
    2nd in WHIP w/ 0.95 in Lg also
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 08-12-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Well he is 0-5 7.04era 1.75 whip for the Twins and that is all that matters. You can't have that, he is worst than Nishi.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Well he is 0-5 7.04era 1.75 whip for the Twins and that is all that matters. You can't have that, he is worst than Nishi.
    Nishi led AAA in what? Scott Diamond did not exactly do great last year. There is learning what not to do. There is hope that Hendricks can learn that for a major league level. Clearly he gets it a the AA level.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Nishi got a sac fly, all Hendriks does is wear out the bullpen, he has got to do better to stay.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 131 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless the Twins want to limit Hendriks' innings, he is a cinch to be called up in September if not sooner. Actually, maybe they should let him stay in Rochester long enough to win a minor league ERA championship (FWIW). I did start another thread about Liam and Chris Parmelee--to summarize, both have numbers that are beyond good and it would make sense on their next trip to the majors they will be much better, as Diamond has been this year. Hendriks pitching capably in the rotation would really help the team in their weakest area, starting pitching.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 131 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What to do with Liam??
    I know this isn't really fair, but I'll use your quote from a month ago in conjunction with your comment about Pavano. C'mon, Hendriks is 23 and dominating at the level immediately below the major leagues. The Twins are not going to give up on him when young starting pitching is the most valuable commodity in professional baseball. Pavano isn't young and may not have much left in the tank and he will command a lot more money than Hendriks will make in the next two seasons. Pavano's a goner and Hendriks will get more shots.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    What to do with Liam??
    I know this isn't really fair, but I'll use your quote from a month ago in conjunction with your comment about Pavano. C'mon, Hendriks is 23 and dominating at the level immediately below the major leagues. The Twins are not going to give up on him when young starting pitching is the most valuable commodity in professional baseball. Pavano isn't young and may not have much left in the tank and he will command a lot more money than Hendriks will make in the next two seasons. Pavano's a goner and Hendriks will get more shots.
    Rememer, my comment on Pav is what I think Mn will do....not what I would do.
    I LOVE Liam & think he's gotten a bad rap this year from MN. They will give slugs chance after chance, but he's kept in AAA due to his poor perfmance. I do feel MN is 'down' on him since he hasnt gotten another chance yet.
    Terry Ryan commented on him today that they want this AAA stint to be his last....will be up in Sept, he said.
    Think he will start next yr in rotation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12