Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Sign Jason Kubel to a Minor League Deal

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    If you want to get a big payday the following year then it might make sense to sign with a team that has fewer roadblocks to playing time. I'm guessing Kubel likes his chances against Parmelee, Colabello, Doumit, Presley, Mastro and basically any other option the Twins can throw out there in the DH/OF mix aside from Willy and Arcia (AAA?).

It's too bad this wasn't one of the years where the Twins didn't have any decent DH option because this would be a great match. but even though it isn't a great match it's still a great pickup.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    So he signed a minor league deal over a GUARANTEED major league deal because he "knows" he'll make the roster - in a much worse park? What am I missing here?
    He knows he will make the team because he has been texting with Gardy.

Once makes the active roster, his salary won't be minimal.

Last year he only had 37 AB's against LHP's. And since when does Gardy platoon?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 65 Times in 44 Posts
    If Kubel makes it then I think maestro is gone as he can't hit and is redundant anyway. I don't know that I love the Kubel signing as I would rather see the younger guys play but if he has bounce back year this would be a really good move.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the signing. Since Doumit doesn't want to C anymore, I don't see his value anymore.

I would think the Brewers would certainly have interest in Parmalee

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The thing is Parm wasn't even that good when given playing time in AAA last year, his numbers outside of rookie ball and his 2012 season at AAA are pretty mediocre across the board for a guy who brings you zero defensive value.

I still have some hope for him as he could suddenly "turn it on" but at this point of his career, Parmelee should be blocking exactly no one, especially a guy who is only a year removed from a .830 OPS and 30 HR's
    I'm not disagreeing with you on the results, but what he did in 2012 indicates that he has some talent. You cannot chalk that up to luck. I don't know if he's going to amount to a solid major leaguer, but he's one of the options on our roster right now that that has the potential to lock down a key position on this roster for years to come.... or at the very least, to become trade bait if the Twins find themselves with too many people at too few positions.

This is my biggest concern on the Kubel signing. I know people don't agree with me, but Gardy does have a history of favoring the vets over the kids, whether that's Castro over Bartlett, Punto over anyone in 2007, Buchanan over Cuddyer, etc. Heck, there was a ton of frustration in Twins circles over Kubel's playing time when he came back from that injury. There are plenty of examples. That's why I thought that Gardy needed to go. The next wave is going to have a ton of young players. Hopefully I'm wrong. I want Parmelee playing every day. This is going to be his last chance... at the very least give him a fair one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    If Kubel makes it then I think maestro is gone as he can't hit and is redundant anyway. I don't know that I love the Kubel signing as I would rather see the younger guys play but if he has bounce back year this would be a really good move.
    Maestro's days were numbered when we got Presley. He might stick around this year, but I think that's it. Presley at worst is a 4th OF/CF substitute. At best, Pressley is the hitter I got to see last year in Indianapolis, at which point he's a very nice trade chip or insurance if Hicks fails.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    I like the signing. Since Doumit doesn't want to C anymore, I don't see his value anymore.

I would think the Brewers would certainly have interest in Parmalee
    I really hope Ryan has a plan to trade Doumit. The problem is Doumit's value is crap right now. He might net something at the deadline if he hits like 2012 instead of 2013, but it's looking like there's very little room for him... though for whatever reason, Gardy seems to have no problem finding PT for him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    So he signed a minor league deal over a GUARANTEED major league deal because he "knows" he'll make the roster - in a much worse park? What am I missing here?
    Familiarity with the club, local ties, history of past success here? Probably the same reasons the Twins are interested. While I agree that Gardy may not play this straight, he doesn't decide the roster. I don't think Ryan puts Kubel on the 25 man unless he clearly wins the job.

As as far as Kubel saying he is confident he will win a spot, what else would he say? Ryan probably would not say the same if asked. It's not like Parmelee is new here, wouldn't the club have the same level of loyalty to a guy who's been here, what, nine years?

If we are finally starting to trust that Ryan is doing right by the club in free agency, I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt to play this honestly with the 25th roster spot.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A guarantee from Terry that the trees aren't going back in CF?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    This isn't necessarily a response to your comment as much as it is to show that Kubel has shown signs of decline the last two years.

Last three years from 2011-2013:

K%: 21.4 - 26.4 - 31.7
    SwStr%: 7.6 - 11.0 - 13.7
    Z-Contact%: 89.6 - 81.9 - 76.4

Those are some glaring numbers.

As has been mentioned. There's really no risk to the signing. I would just keep my expectations very low.
    Interesting stats.
    Thank you
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    And hasn't Doumit stated he doesn't want to C any longer.
    Please provide the alleged quote. Other than Howard Sinker's out of context comment (presumably ascribed to Terry Ryan), that Doumit was done playing C, it was for the rest of 2013, only, has there been any other direct-source reference about Doumit's ongoing positional status?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have there been reports that Kubel's struggles were injury-related? I know that he's spent time on the DL and I wonder if health has something to do with what looks like decline. He isn't that old and he is less than two years removed from All-Star caliber hitting. It could be that sporadic at-bats would spur the downturn. Since Kubel is offense-only", if he's not hitting he's not playing.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I really hope Ryan has a plan to trade Doumit. The problem is Doumit's value is crap right now. He might net something at the deadline if he hits like 2012 instead of 2013, but it's looking like there's very little room for him... though for whatever reason, Gardy seems to have no problem finding PT for him.
    From Mike Berardino on Thursday, wrapping up the Winter Meetings- a baseball official told the reporter that Ryan has rebuffed inquiries about Pinto being available in trade, but that Doumit IS available, but has received very low interest from prospective clubs. Regarding the catching situation, Ryan said he wasn't worried at all about Pinto's injury. Regarding the overall catching situation going into 2014, he said this:

“We’re paying attention to it. I’ve got a few other things on our plate, but certainly you pay attention to about any area.”

So, IOW...It sounds like adding a SP and another bat are higher "plate" priorities at this point.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-14-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Have there been reports that Kubel's struggles were injury-related? I know that he's spent time on the DL and I wonder if health has something to do with what looks like decline. He isn't that old and he is less than two years removed from All-Star caliber hitting. It could be that sporadic at-bats would spur the downturn. Since Kubel is offense-only", if he's not hitting he's not playing.
    That's what makes the Orioles major league deal all the more intriguing. He certainly would have had the chance to platoon as a DH or RF there. Makes one think that Ryan has promised Kubel that he will get a very fair shot at the full-time RF slot.

Has anyone discovered if Kubel has an opt-out date when he can void the contract and move on? I'm guessing that the date on the contract is very early in the season.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-14-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 52 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully Doumit gets moved back to back up Catcher and gets 200-300 AB behind the plate and none as a DH unless he is hitting the snot out of the ball. That allows Either Willingham or Kubel to DH or play LF. They could rotate back and Forth and Arcia in RF with Colabello on the bench for power.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    That's what makes the Orioles major league deal all the more intriguing. He certainly would have had the chance to platoon as a DH or RF there. Makes one think that Ryan has promised Kubel that he will get a very fair shot at the full-time RF slot.

Has anyone discovered if Kubel has an opt-out date when he can void the contract and move on? I'm guessing that it's very early in the season.
    My guess is that Kubel begins in Rochester (still not on the 40-man roster!), with a promise for "seconds". Parmelee (or Colabello) makes the active roster for April, but has a three to six week "make-good" period. If (when!) he "fails again", Parmelee is DFA'd with a promise to receive a AAA contract if he wants it. Kubel would be added to both the 40-man and active roster taking Parmelee's spot. Considering the time frame would be April/May other teams have already filled their rosters and are less likely to want to sign Parmelee than in February/March. I would also expect that Kubel doesn't finish the season with the Twins--he will be traded or DFA'd in/by August. Space will be cleared for a promotion of an OF prospect presently in the minor leagues.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    My guess is that Kubel begins in Rochester (still not on the 40-man roster!), with a promise for "seconds". Parmelee (or Colabello) makes the active roster for April, but has a three to six week "make-good" period. If (when!) he "fails again", Parmelee is DFA'd with a promise to receive a AAA contract if he wants it. Kubel would be added to both the 40-man and active roster taking Parmelee's spot. Considering the time frame would be April/May other teams have already filled their rosters and are less likely to want to sign Parmelee than in February/March. I would also expect that Kubel doesn't finish the season with the Twins--he will be traded or DFA'd in/by August. Space will be cleared for a promotion of an OF prospect presently in the minor leagues.
    +1 Pretty cogent analysis. Kubel could be gone earlier if say, he has a May 15 deadline in his contract and, miracle of miracles, Parmelee is raking. On the flip side, Kubel might actually stay on as the cheap "veteran presence" should the Twins be able to unload Wil.ingham and/or Doumit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post

So, IOW...It sounds like adding a SP and another bat are higher "plate" priorities at this point.
    I'd say they should be if they are still adding talent. My concern, like I said before, is that Doumit will get way more PT this season than he should... just as he did in 2013.

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLB Trade Rumors said that Kubel received a major league offer from the Orioles.
    Man, Baltimore sure loves former-Twins! I'm sure they would have claimed Hendriks if the Cubs didn't claim him!

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'd say they should be if they are still adding talent. My concern, like I said before, is that Doumit will get way more PT this season than he should... just as he did in 2013.

Exactlty right. If Doumit (and Willingham) are on the active roster, they are going to play.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast