Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Sign Jason Kubel to a Minor League Deal

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,182 Times in 629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Willingham,Arcia,Colabello,Parmelee,Doumit,Kubel,M astroianni, Hicks,and Presley
    thats 9 Players for 4 spots and thats not counting Mitchel and Rameriez....It is a good move,low risk High reward,but where is he going to play? Like I said I hope that Terry has a plan to move some of the rest of these guys
    It's a minor league deal, I think org depth is a more appropriate description than logjam, he's not going to block anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Nothing is no risk. The risk is we trot him out there for 150 games and he has a season like he had last year.
    There is zero chance of that happening.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anybody know if he is being offered a ST invite? The Twins article didn't say.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nothing is no risk. The risk is we trot him out there for 150 games and he has a season like he had last year.
    The team has bigger problems if they allow the manager to trot him out there for 150 games if he has a season like last year. Just because you sign a guy to a deal (MINOR LEAGUE DEAL) doesn't mean he's automatically given the starting job for 150 games.

This move creates depth and competition. If he earns playing time, great. If he sucks, he won't be playing anyway.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 312 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Willingham,Arcia,Colabello,Parmelee,Doumit,Kubel,M astroianni, Hicks,and Presley
    thats 9 Players for 4 spots and thats not counting Mitchel and Rameriez....It is a good move,low risk High reward,but where is he going to play? Like I said I hope that Terry has a plan to move some of the rest of these guys
    It's not really 4 spots. It's more accurately 5-6 MLB spots (including backups) and another 5-6 spots at AAA. Plenty of room for all of these guys.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nick5253 View Post
    The risk is with Gardy. You give him the option of starting a veteran over a rookie or 2nd year guy (Arcia) and he's going to take the veteran nearly every time. Give him a veteran he's familiar with, and Arcia has no chance.
    Gardy can give his input for the 25 man roster, but it's Ryan's decision to make. If there is a log jam with no clear cut top dogs come opening day, Kubel will be the odd man out. Kubel can be sent to Rochester, Parmelee, Colabello and Doumit cannot without losing them.

Than the risk is the incompetent manager, not the player. No reason he has to play if he's terrible. Should we also be afraid that the Eric Fryer will play 150 games at catcher?

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Radke next? I guess if you throw enough at the wall, something might stick.

8. This user likes h2oface's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

darin617 (12-13-2013)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,514 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If this guy's name wasn't Jason Kubel, this thread would read very differently.

1. People wouldn't be concerned about him stinking up the roster for 150 games.

2. People wouldn't be overly optimistic about him getting back on track and OPSing at .800.

3. People would see this as the kind of organizational depth move teams make every offseason.

It's a decent move on a player that has a chance to rebound and be a role player. Nothing to get too excited about, nothing worth complaining about.

10. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-13-2013), glunn (12-13-2013), PseudoSABR (12-14-2013), twinsnorth49 (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    as amjgt said...no risk. Minor league deal. If he hits great. If he doesn't, no real loss.

Nice to see players come back and have good things to say about the organization.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Question: Is anything but pride keeping players from choking up or moving to a lighter bat as their bat slows? On a related note, if corking the bat to make the barrel lighter increases bat speed, what advantage is their to swinging a heavier and therefore slower bat?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I think there's risk there, and yes, I think that is an indictment against Gardenhire. I don't think it means he's incompetent - it just means he has some weaknesses, and this seems to play on one of them. He also has his strengths, and overall, I think the strengths dwarf the weaknesses.

But this seems to play on a weakness, and I'd be happier if Kubel wasn't an option. I'm worried about Arcia and Parmelee's playing time. (And I recognize I might be the only one worried about Parmelee's playing time.)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Well, I think there's risk there, and yes, I think that is an indictment against Gardenhire. I don't think it means he's incompetent - it just means he has some weaknesses, and this seems to play on one of them. He also has his strengths, and overall, I think the strengths dwarf the weaknesses.

But this seems to play on a weakness, and I'd be happier if Kubel wasn't an option. I'm worried about Arcia and Parmelee's playing time. (And I recognize I might be the only one worried about Parmelee's playing time.)
    Provide a couple of examples where a young player represented a clear-cut improvement and I might agree with such a generalization. Castro over Bartlett comes to mind, but I'm not even sure if that decision was such a clear-cut mistake, and would still question why you'd think a bias in favor of a veteran over a youngster would represent weakness.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jham View Post
    Question: Is anything but pride keeping players from choking up or moving to a lighter bat as their bat slows? On a related note, if corking the bat to make the barrel lighter increases bat speed, what advantage is their to swinging a heavier and therefore slower bat?
    Parker's contact charts do look worrying. Brock's right though, if this was any other guy, this thread would read a little different for a guy just a year removed from a 30 homer season.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Provide a couple of examples where a young player represented a clear-cut improvement and I might agree with such a generalization. Castro over Bartlett comes to mind, but I'm not even sure if that decision was such a clear-cut mistake, and would still question why you'd think a bias in favor of a veteran over a youngster would represent weakness.
    I won't get into the examples but Castro over Bartlett was a ridiculously obvious mistake.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    power...

If the bat speed and where the contact made was the same, the heavier bat will send the ball further.

18. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    (And I recognize I might be the only one worried about Parmelee's playing time.)
    You aren't the only one. There just aren't many of us. Parm never had a chance to get into a rhythm as he was the odd man out every time. I want him playing every day, even if the odds of him being a good major leaguer are low.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts

Arcia is going to be in the lineup every day most likely, and if he isn't it means he is struggling quite a bit and needs more time in AAA.

The leash with Kubel would be short I imagine, let's just say he comes on like gangbusters in ST and earns a starting spot (likely DH). If he struggles the first 3-4 weeks of the season I can't see the Twins waiting to cut him loose.

I'm not really worried about Parmelee's playing time at all. Parmelee has shown next to nothing his last two seasons on the Twins, either he is going to flat out earn regular playing time or he isn't.

Other than Parmelee the only guy he really takes potential at bats from to start the season is Doumit, and maybe Plouffe later on (once Sano is up). I don't see a real issue there, since if Kubel is getting at bats on the reg, he is probably preforming. However, he absolutely should be in a platoon at the absolute most.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    You aren't the only one. There just aren't many of us. Parm never had a chance to get into a rhythm as he was the odd man out every time. I want him playing every day, even if the odds of him being a good major leaguer are low.
    The thing is Parm wasn't even that good when given playing time in AAA last year, his numbers outside of rookie ball and his 2012 season at AAA are pretty mediocre across the board for a guy who brings you zero defensive value.

I still have some hope for him as he could suddenly "turn it on" but at this point of his career, Parmelee should be blocking exactly no one, especially a guy who is only a year removed from a .830 OPS and 30 HR's

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    If this guy's name wasn't Jason Kubel, this thread would read very differently.

1. People wouldn't be concerned about him stinking up the roster for 150 games.

2. People wouldn't be overly optimistic about him getting back on track and OPSing at .800.

3. People would see this as the kind of organizational depth move teams make every offseason.

It's a decent move on a player that has a chance to rebound and be a role player. Nothing to get too excited about, nothing worth complaining about.
    Agreed, however, .800 is a weird cut off, I think there is a more than decent shot he can give you 20 HR and a .770 OPS, especially if he is limited against lefties (.823 lifetime OPS against RHP)

20 HR and .770 isn't going to set the world on fire, but it should be noted that is pretty good production in the majors on a minimum contract even if the guy isn't bringing you any real defensive value.

Junior Member Rookie SouthDakotaFarmer's Avatar
    Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Might as well see if we can trade Willingham and Doumit for a bag of baseballs or maybe some batting gloves and a low prospect. Nice to have a South Dakota boy back in the Twins mix. Plus, I like it when Kubel winks...constantly. What is that about?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast