Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Sign Jason Kubel to a Minor League Deal

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yay Kubel is back! I always liked him. Hopefully he can help out the team.

2. This user likes Gernzy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

darin617 (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    It seems a lot of the optimism here is due to the re-siging of a glory years Twins.

But take away the familiarity factor, this might get even more positive attention. If Kubel had put up the same modest (with a few years of excellence) production with a club not named the Twins, we would probably be pretty damn excited about getting this guy on a minor league deal. He's one year removed from six straight seasons of 105+ OPS+. If his name was Joe Blow who played his whole career with the Marlins I think we'd be stoked.

4. These 3 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

amjgt (12-13-2013), diehardtwinsfan (12-13-2013), glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 283 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a great low-risk, high-reward deal. He will have to make some adjustments and not be such a dead pull hitter. But he can do it. If it means Arcia gets a bit more time to develop in AAA, all the better. Arcia has a lot of holes in his game and is still quite young. Also, I expect Doumit to get a lot more catching time in 2014 unless they sign Buck. That would free up Kubel for DH time. I much prefer Kubel to Parmelee, who has never been able to hit high cheese.

6. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

The Twins maybe are looking to trade Doumit before season starts. It also give them depth at triple a for coming year.

8. This user likes ND-Fan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Love this. I'll love it even more if this kicks Doumit out of town.

10. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (12-13-2013)

He is only one-year removed from a decent year in Arizona, where he did play the field.

The Twins need a DH. Doumit should be primarily the back-up reserve catcher.

If Kubel produces, he can also make Willingham and Doumit expendable as spring training winds down.

Let's bring the band back together. Sign Garza. Bring back Guerrier. Maybe Baker and Santana will take minor league contracts, too.

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Willingham, Parmelee and a B prospect to Brewers for Gallardo

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The MLBTR headline on this scared me, but finding out it's just a minor league contract lowered my blood pressure. It won't be any surprise if we look back in a couple of years and see that Kubel was one of those guys who hit his permanent decline right after age 30. As a low risk move, I can't fault it. But I'm not sure it really helps with the clutter of similar players - even if some of the clutter is traded, when he's added to the 40-man it's more of the same. Hope it works out for all concerned.

14. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstl View Post
    Willingham, Parmelee and a B prospect to Brewers for Gallardo

No way Milwaukee does that......

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 179 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not much to complain about on any minor league deal.

Curious if Kubel thinks he's cooked like Jacque Jones, or if the Twins think their corner OF/DH options might not pan out...

Junior Member Rookie PSzalapski's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Um a big Jason fan , but huh? Isint this team filled with slow footed Dh types? I understand we want to replace some of Justins power from the left side, but where does he play , other then in Rochester? He is better then Willingham and Doumit in the outfield, But we are building a heck of a log jam,
    I see no logjam--you can't count on anything from Parmelee, and it seems we will need Doumit at catcher. Great move to give the Twins one more option without any risk whatsoever.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PSzalapski View Post
    I see no logjam--you can't count on anything from Parmelee, and it seems we will need Doumit at catcher. Great move to give the Twins one more option without any risk whatsoever.
    Willingham,Arcia,Colabello,Parmelee,Doumit,Kubel,M astroianni, Hicks,and Presley
    thats 9 Players for 4 spots and thats not counting Mitchel and Rameriez....It is a good move,low risk High reward,but where is he going to play? Like I said I hope that Terry has a plan to move some of the rest of these guys

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    This isn't low risk..... it's NO risk

Kubel and Hart put up nearly identical lines in 2012 30 HR, .830-8.40 OPS 151 k's etc.
    Both had miserable 2013's for different reasons and are only a year a part age wise.

I am guessing that if we signed Hart to a minor league deal (or any one year deal) people would be jumping for joy.

Giving Kubel a minor league contract is an absolute no brainer that has zero risk. If he can find his 2011/2012 form he becomes a legitimate contributor to this team, and adds much needed depth.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Disheartening. I thought the plan was to bring in veteran clubhouse guys to liven up the clubhouse and bring in a winning attitude. Kubel doesnt offer this. He pouted his way out of town a few years ago because it was too hard to hit HR's in TF, now he crawls into Ryan's office begging, and they take him back?
    Tell me this is satire or something.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    I guess we have to trade Willingham now so we can give Kubes #16 back.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure who we can count on after 2013... Bringing Kubel back home is bringing in competition for positions and that is a great thing.

Kubel can hit... We don't know if last year is Kubel this year. Bring in some 3B competition and Bring in some speed please while your at it.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    The risk is with Gardy. You give him the option of starting a veteran over a rookie or 2nd year guy (Arcia) and he's going to take the veteran nearly every time. Give him a veteran he's familiar with, and Arcia has no chance.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Nothing lost here on a minor league deal. If we open the season with Willingham, Arcia, Doumit, and Kubel all actually on the active roster, then I'll be more concerned with overall flexibility (lack thereof) on the roster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    Nothing is no risk. The risk is we trot him out there for 150 games and he has a season like he had last year.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast