Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Miguel Sano cleared by doctors

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries

Miguel Sano

I just posted this in another thread, but I figured it could be its own thread. La Velle E. Neal III released a report a little bit ago and in it he had an update on Miguel Sano.

And here's a Miguel Sano update. The slugging prospect was shut down early in winter ball season because of a strained right ulnar collateral ligament. But he's been examined in Fort Myers, Fla., and has been given a clean bill of health. He'll return to the Dominican Republic, where he'll resume throwing, then return to Fort Myers in January to train in advance of the 2014 season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    YES!!! I know his value is in the power but that arm is supposedly legit. What he loses in foot speed he gains in arm. Now I just need to hear an update on Byron's shoulder

3. This user likes Twins Twerp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-12-2013)

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Miguel Sano cleared by doctors

According to the Star Tribune's LaVelle E Neal's afternoon update, doctors have cleared top prospect Miguel Sano, saying that his elbow in which he strained his ulnar collateral ligament is completely healthy.

The slugging prospect was shut down early in winter ball season because of a strained right ulnar collateral ligament. But he's been examined in Fort Myers, Fla., and has been given a clean bill of health. He'll return to the Dominican Republic, where he'll resume throwing, then return to Fort Myers in January to train in advance of the 2014 season.
    Sano had played in just two games with just five at bats in the Dominican for Estrellas de Oriente.

Wow, is that some fantastic news. Dodged a bullet.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Best news of the day. Thanks for the update

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Might be the best news of the offseason, and it's been a pretty good offseason.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    This really is great news. I'm all amped up now!
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I'm glad he's been cleared, but I've heard this before, and sometimes shortly before a torn ligament.

10. These 2 users like Boom Boom's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (12-12-2013), johnnydakota (12-12-2013)

Liked 146 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I'm glad he's been cleared, but I've heard this before, and sometimes shortly before a torn ligament.
    That was my thought as well, but I'm glad someone else took charge of the doom-and-gloom department today. Hopefully it will prove to be unwarranted pessimism.

Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    That was my thought as well, but I'm glad someone else took charge of the doom-and-gloom department today. Hopefully it will prove to be unwarranted pessimism.
    Only time will tell. For now, however, we can move forward with increased optimism since the immediate concerns regarding his elbow have been quelled.

13. This user likes B Richard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (12-12-2013)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Keep in mind that a UCL injury for hitters is far different from pitchers. Unless it's completely torn, rest and rehab is likely the right answer.

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    YES!!! I know his value is in the power but that arm is supposedly legit. What he loses in foot speed he gains in arm. Now I just need to hear an update on Byron's shoulder
    Mike Berardino@MikeBerardino3h
    Terry Ryan termed Byron Buxton's left shoulder strain "just a tweak." Said he's "fine now."

16. This user likes richardkr34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (12-12-2013)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the last year, Buxton (shoulder), Meyer (arm), Sano (elbow) and Pinto (shoulder) have all missed at least some time with injuries. Combine that with Rosario's looming suspension and there seems to be many reasons to be concerned about the team's top prospects. However, it looks like all will be healthy this spring. It shows to me that counting on the prospects to carry the team to championships is not a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    In the last year, Buxton (shoulder), Meyer (arm), Sano (elbow) and Pinto (shoulder) have all missed at least some time with injuries. Combine that with Rosario's looming suspension and there seems to be many reasons to be concerned about the team's top prospects.
    As for Buxton and Sano, I'm not concerned. This past calendar year they played way more baseball than they ever had before. It's not entirely surprising that they might tweak something toward the end of an especially arduous season. These guys are human- they wear down after an extended season, especially one that they had never gone through before in terms of length. Meyer appears to be healthy and Sano has been cleared. I'm not incredibly worried that injury will be the factor that holds them back