Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of trade value does Sano have

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,514 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I haven't followed Diaz closely enough to know the latest rumors on money required to get him.

But in theory, it's a good idea for the Twins to pursue a player of that ilk.

Liked 142 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    But what if Ned Colletti is initiating the call and is offering Puig and Kershaw?
    How much cash is he throwing in?

3. This user likes gil4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    also I would like to see A.Diaz signed, the Twins are still in on him , and they must think he is MLB ready, so instead of Drew , Diaz is younger and could grow up with the team
    Signing Diaz would be pretty risky. We don't know if he'd be able to walk on to any MLB team even though Cuban baseball is very respected. I've liked probably every posting you've made about him but I also think that now he has the official proven eligibility to sign for whatever price he can get. He might wind up being just a hair less expensive than Drew anyhow, who's already a proven MLB shortstop. I think I'd err on the side of signing Drew.

Trading Sano? That's just silly. Like Brock said, why don't we keep him, see what he can contribute and if we're on the edge, go sign that big FA then. I understand he can blow up in our faces, but does anyone believe that?

--------> I should mention that I think we should sign him either way. haha. I only meant risky with the idea of signing one or the other.
    Last edited by AHSaves; 12-12-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Clarification

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trading Sano now...wouldn't make sense. You have to let that one play out.

There's multiple scouts who've scouted the Dominican for over 25 years, who said he's the best player they've ever seen come out of there.

He did only hit .236, as a 20 year old, at AA. True, but he slugged .571 SLG and .915 OPS despite that. And he had a 13% BB%. At age 20.

He struggles with fielding at 3B. He's got the strongest arm in MiLB according to many reports. If 3B doesn't work out he takes his 6'4" 243 lb frame to RF and has the best RF arm.

He's ahead of Wil Myers development cycle at the same stage AA and age.

Look at Giancarlo Stanton's 19 year old season. Earily similar. Age 19, finishing in AA. But lower numbers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=stanto003mic

Again, scouts (plural) for 25 years in the Domincan, say he's the best prospect they've ever seen.

I figure his floor is Mark Trumbo, who just got 2 starting pitching prospects.

His ceiling is a more powerful Miggy but hitting .280 to .300.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AHSaves View Post
    Signing Diaz would be pretty risky. We don't know if he'd be able to walk on to any MLB team even though Cuban baseball is very respected. I've liked probably every posting you've made about him but I also think that now he has the official proven eligibility to sign for whatever price he can get. He might wind up being just a hair less expensive than Drew anyhow, who's already a proven MLB shortstop. I think I'd err on the side of signing Drew.

Trading Sano? That's just silly. Like Brock said, why don't we keep him, see what he can contribute and if we're on the edge, go sign that big FA then. I understand he can blow up in our faces, but does anyone believe that?
    This kind of thinking can come back to haunt a club. Any potential proposed deal should be considered in the full light of day- a cost-controlled/long term/proven ace, in trade for a guy who MAY potentially be great down the road, just dismissed out of hand, that's what's silly. I hope that Sano has a long, HOF career with the Twins, but "believes" aint got nothing to do with it.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Trading Sano now...wouldn't make sense. You have to let that one play out.

There's multiple scouts who've scouted the Dominican for over 25 years, who said he's the best player they've ever seen come out of there.

He did only hit .236, as a 20 year old, at AA. True, but he slugged .571 SLG and .915 OPS despite that. And he had a 13% BB%. At age 20.

He struggles with fielding at 3B. He's got the strongest arm in MiLB according to many reports. If 3B doesn't work out he takes his 6'4" 243 lb frame to RF and has the best RF arm.

He's ahead of Wil Myers development cycle at the same stage AA and age.

Look at Giancarlo Stanton's 19 year old season. Earily similar. Age 19, finishing in AA. But lower numbers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=stanto003mic

Again, scouts (plural) for 25 years in the Domincan, say he's the best prospect they've ever seen.

I figure his floor is Mark Trumbo, who just got 2 starting pitching prospects.

His ceiling is a more powerful Miggy but hitting .280 to .300.
    Which makes him close to Pujols. Look, I hope the Twins never see the need to trade Sano- there's not a doubt in my mind that he has a chance to be the greatest Twins ever. And, of course, getting 2 SP prospects in trade, as in the case of Trumbo, would be absurd. But if a legitimate, proven, cost and years-controlled, healthy Ace was proposed in a package deal with extra value added, the Twins would be foolish not to at least consider the offer.

Remember, if Sano does prove to be the player we all think he can be, the Cano hold-up of the Yankees will be considered small potatoes. Are we certain that the Twins will pony up when the time comes to lock Sano up for say, 13 yrs/$500M? (Don't laugh, the contract trends point to just that type of number for the best in the game by 2020 or 21- presumably when he'd be a FA at age 26/27).

8. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (12-13-2013)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To answer the question of the OP. Sano is a consensus top 5 prospect. He has the ability to be a superstar in this league. He falls under the "untradeable" category in my book. If Boston by and offered Webster, Rayunado, Barnes, and Middlebrooks, I might bite, but that's what it would take. No team would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    If Boston by and offered Webster, Rayunado, Barnes, and Middlebrooks, I might bite, but that's what it would take. No team would do that.
    Sano would slay the Green Monster. SO MANY DENTS/HOLES.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Which makes him close to Pujols. Look, I hope the Twins never see the need to trade Sano- there's not a doubt in my mind that he has a chance to be the greatest Twins ever. And, of course, getting 2 SP prospects in trade, as in the case of Trumbo, would be absurd. But if a legitimate, proven, cost and years-controlled, healthy Ace was proposed in a package deal with extra value added, the Twins would be foolish not to at least consider the offer.

Remember, if Sano does prove to be the player we all think he can be, the Cano hold-up of the Yankees will be considered small potatoes. Are we certain that the Twins will pony up when the time comes to lock Sano up for say, 13 yrs/$500M? (Don't laugh, the contract trends point to just that type of number for the best in the game by 2020 or 21- presumably when he'd be a FA at age 26/27).
    I am fairly certain that we'd lock him up long before his arbitration ran out if he was trending that good. Sano should be a Twin for at least a decade (3-4 years + early extension for 6-8 years). I'll take Pujols or Cabrera for the next decade over an ace in his prime any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

When you factor in injury rates, performance decline, and just plain limited impact for a guy who only plays 1 in 5 games, the ROI in aces is just plain bad.

Home grow your own or don't go fishing.

12. This user likes Joe A. Preusser's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

goulik (12-12-2013)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    I am fairly certain that we'd lock him up long before his arbitration ran out if he was trending that good. Sano should be a Twin for at least a decade (3-4 years + early extension for 6-8 years). I'll take Pujols or Cabrera for the next decade over an ace in his prime any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

When you factor in injury rates, performance decline, and just plain limited impact for a guy who only plays 1 in 5 games, the ROI in aces is just plain bad.

Home grow your own or don't go fishing.
    That is heavily dependent on the hope that Sano abides by getting himself locked up in an early extension beyond his Arb years- he could be gone after 2019, or before via trade, if he and his agent feel MN is not the right fit. Pujols and Cabrera are indeed entertaining and great players, but the overall success (or the lack thereof!) of the teams they have played for have been heavily dependent on superior pitching (or the lack thereof!)..

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Sano would not bring back a cost-controlled ace starter, so it's a moot discussion. And the Twins need position players almost as much as they need pitchers anyway. It's borderline trolling to suggest he should be dealt, honestly.

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Using the Steamer Projections at Fangraphs, the combo of Drew, Garza and Sano would accumulate 6.4 WAR in 2014; Hamels would garner 3.3. I'm okay with not having Hamels' contract around the team's neck while giving up Sano.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Matt Harvey if he didn't get injured might be the kind of guy I would consider trading Sano for 1 for 1. Would the Mets do that? I doubt it. I could also see the Twins hanging up though.

I think when you're talking guys on this level the risk of trading them is just too high. You win that trade you look awesome but you lose it and you might lose your job. I think that's why the Delmon for Garza trade was so crazy. Two very young highly rated prospects (not technically but each had like a year of service time only) rarely get traded for one another.

I really can't think of who I would consider for Sano that would be realistic. If we were the 2006 Twins and could offer a guy like Sano for Price straight up, then yes I seriously consider it. Can you imagine 2006 johan with present day Price as a 1-2?

Like so many other posts I've made and seen others make in regards to trading our prospects. It's just not quite the right time to make these trades.

The Twins might be seriously considering dealing a guy like Kepler, Berrios, or Kohl Stewart in 2015 though for a piece that puts us over the edge.

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Matt Harvey if he didn't get injured might be the kind of guy I would consider trading Sano for 1 for 1. Would the Mets do that? I doubt it. I could also see the Twins hanging up though.

I think when you're talking guys on this level the risk of trading them is just too high. You win that trade you look awesome but you lose it and you might lose your job. I think that's why the Delmon for Garza trade was so crazy. Two very young highly rated prospects (not technically but each had like a year of service time only) rarely get traded for one another.

I really can't think of who I would consider for Sano that would be realistic. If we were the 2006 Twins and could offer a guy like Sano for Price straight up, then yes I seriously consider it. Can you imagine 2006 johan with present day Price as a 1-2?

Like so many other posts I've made and seen others make in regards to trading our prospects. It's just not quite the right time to make these trades.

The Twins might be seriously considering dealing a guy like Kepler, Berrios, or Kohl Stewart in 2015 though for a piece that puts us over the edge.

Stewart is in another galaxy than Kepler and Berrios.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardkr34 View Post
    Stewart is in another galaxy than Kepler and Berrios.
    probably true, just thinking of guys who won't likely be contributors in 2015 but could be top prospects in our system that might be worth trading for a surefire Ace to put us over the top.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    I just wanted to be the 37th poster to agree.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Sano would not bring back a cost-controlled ace starter, so it's a moot discussion. And the Twins need position players almost as much as they need pitchers anyway. It's borderline trolling to suggest he should be dealt, honestly.

Says you. And the discussion about Sano specifically is ongoing, perhaps not a trade this offseason, but maybe down the road apiece, whenever his value is completely off the wall. At age 23 in his 3rd year, Reggie Jackson hit 47 homers and OPS'd at .1018, with a .608 SLG (those turned out to be his peak numbers over a 21 year career). It's difficult to imagine the level of demand Sano would generate if he put up those kind of numbers some 50 years later.

We've been discussing this very topic on TD for 3 years running. Most Twins fans agree, it's going to be extremely difficult to return to the World Series without an Ace on the staff. The farm system/drafting process has been striking out for years on end in producing one. Another Rule 5 miracle acquisition due to an inefficient market seems highly unlikely. The international route is very speculative and potentially prohibitively costly. The FA market for aces is strictly for the big boys.

Do you need any more non-trolling reasons to consider at how the Twins are in a tough place in trying to acquire an Ace and need to consider all options, even the toughest ones?
    Last edited by jokin; 12-12-2013 at 11:39 PM.

21. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-13-2013)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,200 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    I just wanted to be the 37th poster to agree.
    Seconded.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Once executives & fan bases get as excited for transcendent type prospects like Sano, Buxton etc... even if its equal value they are always hesitiant & unlikely to part with them unless completely overwhelmed.

The Garza/Young swap is a rare type of move.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Says you. And the discussion about Sano specifically is ongoing, perhaps not a trade this offseason, but maybe down the road apiece, whenever his value is completely off the wall. At age 23 in his 3rd year, Reggie Jackson hit 47 homers and OPS'd at .1018, with a .608 SLG (those turned out to be his peak numbers over a 21 year career). It's difficult to imagine the level of demand Sano would generate if he put up those kind of numbers some 50 years later.

We've been discussing this very topic on TD for 3 years running. Most Twins fans agree, it's going to be extremely difficult to return to the World Series without an Ace on the staff. The farm system/drafting process has been striking out for years on end in producing one. Another Rule 5 miracle acquisition due to an inefficient market seems highly unlikely. The international route is very speculative and potentially prohibitively costly. The FA market for aces is strictly for the big boys.

Do you need any more non-trolling reasons to consider at how the Twins are in a tough place in trying to acquire an Ace and need to consider all options, even the toughest ones?
    All valid, non-trolling points. But I think a lot of fans tend to get hung up on the title of "Ace." In my opinion, a strong rotation headlined by a SP with a 3.5 ERA is enough to win in the playoffs. You don't have to have that superstar guy, with the gaudy 2.2 ERA and 11 SO/9. Garza or Meyer could be a good enough pitcher to fill that role for us.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast