Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of trade value does Sano have

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts

What kind of trade value does Sano have

Sano at his best is a 3rd baseman who hit's .280 with 40 HR's which is something you can't trade away for anything less then an ace plus, but he probably eventually ends up at 1st, is starting to run into injuries, and hit .236 in AA last year. If the return is right I cash him before he reaches the majors.

2. This user likes mikecgrimes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecgrimes View Post
    Sano at his best is a 3rd baseman who hit's .280 with 40 HR's which is something you can't trade away for anything less then an ace plus, but he probably eventually ends up at 1st, is starting to run into injuries, and hit .236 in AA last year. If the return is right I cash him before he reaches the majors.
    BA is not a very good hitting evaluative tool to sum up one's career, but an even worse one is SSS BA- in AA. I do agree with you, thought, that the Twins should at least listen to every "Ace + more" offer that come in for Sano.

4. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013), Oldgoat_MN (12-12-2013)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecgrimes View Post
    His ceiling is a young Miggy with a lower average. A shift from third base makes him Jim Thome.

A realistic expectation is .260-.280, 30 homers. Maybe an Adam Dunn type guy with better defense. Sano is big but he's athletic.

His floor is... Delmon Young, maybe? Unlikely that he bombs out like Delmon, though.

All of those players except Delmon Young are extremely valuable players. Trading Sano at this point is folly because any GM will be asking "why on EARTH are you trading this guy?" and adjust their offers accordingly.

6. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    His ceiling is a young Miggy with a lower average. A shift from third base makes him Jim Thome.

A realistic expectation is .260-.280, 30 homers. Maybe an Adam Dunn type guy with better defense. Sano is big but he's athletic.

His floor is... Delmon Young, maybe? Unlikely that he bombs out like Delmon, though.

All of those players except Delmon Young are extremely valuable players. Trading Sano at this point is folly because any GM will be asking "why on EARTH are you trading this guy?" and adjust their offers accordingly.
    But what if Ned Colletti is initiating the call and is offering Puig and Kershaw?

8. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    But what if Ned Colletti is initiating the call and is offering Puig and Kershaw?
    That's a different ballgame. It's also incredibly unlikely to happen. Why would Colletti do that?

10. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013), Tibs (12-12-2013)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    That's a different ballgame. It's also incredibly unlikely to happen. Why would Colletti do that?
    That was my point. I was using the extreme hypothetical to illustrate that Terry has no need in signaling that Sano is available and risk the perception of a dilution in Sano's value and having GMs question why he would trade him. He just needs to wait for the phone call, and then when it comes, demand a King's Ransom.

12. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013), johnnydakota (12-13-2013)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    That was my point. I was using the extreme hypothetical to illustrate that Terry has no need in signaling that Sano is available and risk the perception of a dilution in Sano's value and having GMs question why he would trade him. He just needs to wait for the phone call, and then when it comes, demand a King's Ransom.
    I guess that's true... But there's a 95+% chance that phone call will never come so it's really a moot point.

14. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    What if the Rays called and say, David Price for Sano, straight up?! Do we take that?

16. This user likes Siehbiscuit's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    What if the Rays called and say, David Price for Sano, straight up?! Do we take that?
    I wouldn't. No freakin' way would I make that trade.

Look at Wil Myers and James Shields right now. In just more than half a season, Myers was a 2.5 win player. Extrapolate that to a full season and he's a 3-4 win player.

James Shields was a 4 win player last season.

18. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    No, Sano is controlled cheaply for a bunch of years, while Price is comanding a big contract. And anywise its not like we are an ace away from a serious playoff push.

20. These 2 users like drock2190's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013), thetank (12-12-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    While it would never happen, before the dbacks traded for Trumbo I thought a Sano for Bradley type trade matched up well. Even though the Marlins have said they won't trade Stanton if we offered Sano that might change their mind. A package around Sano for Price couldn't be beaten. As I say these the Twins aren't going to trade Sano.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    For the time being the Twins should not make any trades with Tampa. Sorry. I feel like they are too sharp and there is NO way we will come out ahead. If Tampa agrees to a trade that means its a bad idea for the Twins.

23. This user likes Steve Penz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Penz View Post
    For the time being the Twins should not make any trades with Tampa. Sorry. I feel like they are too sharp and there is NO way we will come out ahead. If Tampa agrees to a trade that means its a bad idea for the Twins.
    Eh, I don't buy it. Terry Ryan hasn't been hosed on a trade in a very long time. The closest he has come lately is the Worley-Mays/Revere trade but there's still a lot of time left before the jury rules on that deal.

What's more likely is that Friedman and Ryan could never agree on a trade because they both want too much in return.

Terry Ryan is a very smart baseball man who doesn't give up talent without a lot in return. I don't know why everyone thinks Friedman would take him to the cleaners.

25. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013), Siehbiscuit (12-13-2013), twinsfan34 (12-12-2013)

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand the desire for a clear #1 starter and the value that can bring to a club and the impact that can have on the rest of the rotation as well, but I also have to think there is value in having somebody with Sano's offensive potential available to play every day, and not just one day out of five. We need some offensive punch added to the club as well as good pitching. I can remember several games where our pitching wasn't top notch but it didn't matter because Mauer/Morneau/Cuddyer were just unstoppable. Would be nice to have that again, to complement an improved rotation.

27. This user likes IdahoPilgrim's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    I wouldn't. No freakin' way would I make that trade.

Look at Wil Myers and James Shields right now. In just more than half a season, Myers was a 2.5 win player. Extrapolate that to a full season and he's a 3-4 win player.

James Shields was a 4 win player last season.
    Cole Hamel for Sano?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I want to see Sano in a Twins uniform in 2014. There is no way I am trading him. No way. Imagine having a third baseman put up .250/.340/.570 numbers basically immediately.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Trading Sano doesn't make a ton of sense - he's not quite ML ready like Myers was last year so a team like TB, in win-now mode, might not make a lot of sense for him. A rebuilding team would love to have him but would have to give up a lot to get him, so it might be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

About the only way I think he could be traded was if he was in Taveras or Profar's position - ie a well regarded prospect on a win-now team that needed one more piece. That ain't the Twins.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Cole Hamel for Sano?
    Nope. You're looking at several years of a 3-4 win player for 40 times the price of Sano's pre-arb seasons.

If you want Cole Hamels, go sign Matt Garza. Not quite as good but you get to keep Miguel Sano. Overall, that's a huge net gain over Hamels.

32. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

halfchest (12-12-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Can someone with reliable knowledge comment on Sano and to what extent we should be concerned about his elbow? I hadn't heard anything since he was pulled from the AFL
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He also hit 19 homeruns in 67 games. He still managed a .915 OPS with that .236 average. There is almost no way I trade the #3 prospect in baseball right now.

35. This user likes Tibs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (12-12-2013)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast