Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: 2013 Rule 5 Draft Results

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

2013 Rule 5 Draft Results

The Twins did not make a MLB Rule 5 pick, and they did not lose any players either.

In the AAA draft, they lost recently-signed Jon Velesquez and Tim Atherton. They added RHP Kevin Thomas from the Cardinals, a 27 year old who did well as a reliever at AA last year. They also added Jim Fuller, a 26 year old lefty from the Mets.

As I tweeted, Atherton was one of just three Twins minor league starters that struck out more than a batter per inning (full season only). The other two were Alex Meyer and Trevor May.

Overall, the loss of Atherton far outweighs the new signings.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 12-12-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Not a lot of action this year, only nine selections in the MLB section. I liked Brian Moran but in all honesty I didn't know the guy aside from his numbers. Interesting that the Brewers took a Rookie League pitcher. He's a 22-year-old Korean, they must think he's pretty advanced. With the Brewers taking that leap, maybe it was good to protect Polanco and Kepler after all.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Not a lot of action this year, only nine selections in the MLB section. I liked Brian Moran but in all honesty I didn't know the guy aside from his numbers. Interesting that the Brewers took a Rookie League pitcher. He's a 22-year-old Korean, they must think he's pretty advanced. With the Brewers taking that leap, maybe it was good to protect Polanco and Kepler after all.
    Excellent point, the Brewers, Stros and Marlins all might have taken a bite there.

I still wish the Twins were better at multi-tasking. True, there wasn't a lot of talent in this year's Rule 5, but there was talent available in their slot. They could have done what Houston did in selecting Patrick Shuster and packaging him in a bigger deal, or taken someone like a coveted talent in Thomas Kahnle on a flyer and make a deal with the Yankees to stash him in the minors or return him for another prospect.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    I see the Dodgers traded for Seth Rosin who just selected by the Mets in the Rule V. They must really like their Minnesota pitchers. In the Rule IV draft their first two picks were Chris Anderson and Tom Windle.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I see the Dodgers traded for Seth Rosin who just selected by the Mets in the Rule V. They must really like their Minnesota pitchers. In the Rule IV draft their first two picks were Chris Anderson and Tom Windle.
    Annnnd, the Mets just traded Rosin to the Dodgers! How did the Twins miss on this one? They already made a great trade for Butera with LA.

Annnnd, the Twins themselves drafted Rosin way back BEFORE he was a Gopher in '07. Gotta like the 6'6" MN kids- too bad the Twins missed this one.

Velesquez was a minor league signing that snuck in (like C.J. Ziegler just did). He didn't stay here long. Hey, the Twins get $25 grand for him. Atherton was a converted batter to a pitcher, but is slowly rising thru the system. These guys get offered back to the Twins if they don't stick? Again, Rule 5, you have to be seeking someone better than someone you already have on your roster that can stick for the year. Sometimes you find a hidden gem that just needs a little more seasoning and you can work a deal or hope they are young enough not to be stifled by sitting in the bullpen or on the bench for a year.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Velesquez was a minor league signing that snuck in (like C.J. Ziegler just did). He didn't stay here long. Hey, the Twins get $25 grand for him. Atherton was a converted batter to a pitcher, but is slowly rising thru the system. These guys get offered back to the Twins if they don't stick? Again, Rule 5, you have to be seeking someone better than someone you already have on your roster that can stick for the year. Sometimes you find a hidden gem that just needs a little more seasoning and you can work a deal or hope they are young enough not to be stifled by sitting in the bullpen or on the bench for a year.
    no and no and no

All of those were taken in the MiLB (actually AAA) portion of the draft. So no $ exchanges hands, no return if not on the AAA roster (they can play anywhere in the system) and it is pretty much final.

Different rules than the MLB portion of the Rule 5 draft.

I think that overall it is a wash for the Twins. Lost a AA LHP and a A+ RHP and got a pair of the same AA players. I am not as high on Atherton as many (heck he was 24 years old in Cedar Rapids last season) and I am not going to even say that the Twins are conspiring against Australians, even though he is the 4th (or something like that) Aussie to bite the just in the organization this off-season
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, in the MiLB portion they don't have to remain on the AAA or AA active roster - they can just be stashed for the full year on the AAA or AA reserve roster (similar to the MLB 40-man roster) and play at another level.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think teams pay $12,500 for AAA Rule 5 picks and $5,000 for AA picks.

10. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    As I tweeted, Atherton was one of just three Twins minor league starters that struck out more than a batter per inning (full season only). The other two were Alex Meyer and Trevor May.
    Actually, Atherton averaged only 8.5 K/9 as a starter last year, and 11.1 as a reliever.

Where did 2014 go?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lecroy24fan View Post
    Where did 2014 go?
    Fixed. Seth, if you really meant 2015, feel free to change it back.